Procyon

Split: Easy Vhs To Dvd For Mac - Audio Sync Problem

Question

I'm new to this forum, and not sure if my initial post went out. So...again... I have ROXIO Easy VHS to DVD for Mac, purchased last month (December 2015.) It will not complete a RECORDING of more than 10 minutes or so without losing the audio sync, and it is increasingly off sync as the length of the program increases. I've tried going from USB 2 to USB 3; The "Pause" method of starting as suggested in an early forum; and both my older MAC mini (4gb ram) and a new Mac book air, all to no avail. I've removed all external HD's (including the target 4tb drive as I'm recording) and devices.

I do not have s-video on my player, so am using the composite video adapter. My objective is to digitalize numerous VHS tapes, most 2 hrs in length saving them to the external 4tb HD. THAT part works fine, but all recordings so far start going out of sync after about 15 minutes running time. The live view, during recording is fine, as is the original tape. And suggestions would be sincerely welcomed - and especially if they solve this issue. Procyon

7 answers to this question

Rather than tack onto a 3 year-old/dead thread, I've split this off to be your own topic.

I'm not a Mac user, and unfortunately, we don't have a lot of them here, but one recollection I have for the audio sync problem you're getting is to change the quality from High to Medium. Before passing judgement on "not being able to use the best..." I would ask that you first, try it. See if that fixes the audio sync problem. Second, compare what you actually get in High quality and Medium quality. Do a "side-by-side" comparison to see if there really is a noticeable quality difference. It'll depend on your source video, and then on your own tastes.

Finally, let us know how you make out.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I have done this, (yesterday) based on the suggestion from early threads. with no improvement. Could there be a sequence of events leading to the final file that is involved? (Using 1 yr old Mac book air) internal HD, USB3,180 gb available space, 4gb 1600 Mhz DDR3 memory, 1.4 GHz Intel core i5 processer.)

1. Click "Record" (25 minutes in this test))

2. click "Stop"

3. Click "Finish" (file goes into "flattening") for a minute or so, then says: "Video sucessfully saved to ...."

4. opening THAT file generates "converting." In this particualr test, that took 1h 38 minutes!!!!) Is that normal?

5.Playing back the file (on the same Mac hard drive) shows good video, good audio , but sync deteriorating as it plays.

The end product is therefore useless.

To get around this is to make short (10-15 minutes) recordings, with many files (think 12 files for a 2 hr tape) x 55 tapes= 660 files! Not going to happen. Thank you for your response, and additional help will be most appreciated.

We'll have to hope a Mac user shows up since I can't tell you anything about "normal" behavior there as I'm a PC user. I don't know why opening a file would cause it to "convert".

As for why changing to medium quality isn't solving your audio sync issue, again, I'm not a Mac user, but standard thoughts always run to, "have you restarted your computer lately?" Sometimes a full reboot does mysterious and wonderful things.

Oh, and personally, I wouldn't shy away from 10-12 clips for even 1-hour video.

Edited by d_deweywright
  • Like 1

I've (finally) successfully created a file using the "medium" setting. There is a slight picture quality compromise, but without a reference to judge, it is hardly noticeable. As a positive benefit, the medium setting eliminates several time consuming steps. The sound sync problem is gone.

Basically I can now create files for the archives with minimum hands on - except for the start and finish. And yes, additionally I could redo select clips for the "best " resolution processing, as long as they are less than 10 minutes in length (to hold reasonably good sync.)

Thanks again for your help.

I've (finally) successfully created a file using the "medium" setting. There is a slight picture quality compromise, but without a reference to judge, it is hardly noticeable. As a positive benefit, the medium setting eliminates several time consuming steps. The sound sync problem is gone.

Basically I can now create files for the archives with minimum hands on - except for the start and finish. And yes, additionally I could redo select clips for the "best " resolution processing, as long as they are less than 10 minutes in length (to hold reasonably good sync.)

Thanks again for your help.

Glad to hear you've had some success. Thanks for letting us know!

macuser, will come back tomorrow. in the meantime you could ask your question in the kenstone.net

Sorry I didn't show up anymore, I was and am still sick. Is the problem now sloved? It sounds as if it is more like "ok, I can live with that compromise". There is Avidemux in which you can shift the audio under the movie, values in 50 and 100 steps (like 200, 300, 350 etc.) are good to start with.

I would write more, but am too sick and haven't got that roxio application, but I imported my VHS tapes with my old Mac and had a problem which I will come to later.

Aside from that: why does it automatically convert?

I had a similar issue with a SATA-PCI-X card and a PowerMac G4 with using iMovieHD-5. After saving the file as "best quality" (which will make a DVC50pro file out of a recorded DV file) and playing the DVC50pro file in Quicktime I had the video ("picture") run away while the audio was normal speed. Saving the file to a Hard Drive on a native port (i.e. the PowerMacs own IDE-connector and not the SATA-PCI card) solved the problem. OR restarting the Mac and reading the file from the SATA drive.

Seeing how heavy and inefficient OS X is written today you get lags with everyday tasks sometime, when the OS is on the 5400rpm HDD and not on an external fast USB3 HDD or SSD. This is actually pretty mean by Apple, to write the OS that stupid, that you need to use a faster HDD or an SSD to let it run with getting the beachball. I don't know, if the HDD speed (5400rpm 2,5" drives) play a role in you App issue.

Edited by LenaBreadBurn