16 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Haag

Rich Haag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

Here's a first for me:

I have a  commercially recorded CD that, when I try to copy one song off of it, I get a blank spot in the newly burned CD.  I've replayed the original CD and nothing untoward occurs.  I've attempted the process several times with the same result: same blank spot in the same song.

I've cleaned the commercial CD but that made no difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,086 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

Could be a digitally protected disc. There are a few of them out there. :(

Roxio software is engineered so it won't copy protected discs, so you might have to play the track and capture the audio with an audiograbber.

Assorted computers in Windows XP, 7, and 10.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

#3 Rich Haag

Rich Haag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

Brendon - thanks for answering.  I've had protected discs before and they will not copy anything - it just sits there in the ICU until I remove it.  So this, I think, would be a different issue - it's the only place on the entire CD that "skips" and that skip only lasts 2 seconds max.  I have a friend with the same CD and he's bringing it over tomorrow to see if it does the same thing.  I'll let you know what, if anything, we can surmise from this.  Again, thanks.  I was in Christchurch in 2012 - beautiful city even after the earthquake damage. 

#4 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,607 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:12 PM

Topics merged.

Rich, when you reply, don't start a new Topic to do it.  Post it in this thread.

Edited by grandpabruce, 25 January 2016 - 06:13 PM.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

#5 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,086 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

Sorry, I read that as meaning this happened each time you copied a track, Rich. Thanks very much for clarifying it only happens at one spot on the disc.

Given the description I think it's a disc error, and that your friend's CD will work properly. I know players can correct CD errors if they're not too severe, and I think your player manages to correct it within the time allowed, but the digital copying routine is being tripped by the error, and leaving a hiccup.

I'd be very interested to see the result of your friend's visit, please.

Brendon

#6 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:25 AM

It would also be interesting to try a different utility for ripping that track from your CD.  You could try the free Exact Audio Copy (link) which may do a better job than the one in Creator NXT 2.  

Just a thought, and I too think your friends CD may also work okay.

Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you'll suck forever. - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 750 TI video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer | ASUS-12B1ST Blu-Ray writer | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 7610 all-in-one printer/scanner | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

Instructions for posting images in your post.
Contact Roxio/Corel Support to reset your Key after too many install attempts

#7 Rich Haag

Rich Haag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

Thanks again for the reply - I'll let you know as soon as I know something.

#8 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,963 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

To expand on what Brendon & d_deweywright have suggested.

Some drives are better or worse handling read errors.

So if you have more than one drive available try them.

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#9 Rich Haag

Rich Haag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

Okay, here's the skinny:
My friend's CD, when I burned it, had the exact same error at the exact spot. I also went back into my older burns and located an earlier burn of this same CD - and the same song had the same error - don't know why I didn't notice it at the time. Anyway, form a technocretin like myself, I don't think it's a
Roxio error, it's not a commercially produced CD error (unless it's the same on every CD), it's not a blank CD error so my last option is to locate another
computer with burn capabilities and attempt to burn it on that one. As an afterthought, anytime I'm confronted with something I cannot explain, I convince myself there's a little gremlin somewhere in my computer who's f---ing with me. Whaddya think?

Edited by Rich Haag, 26 January 2016 - 03:49 PM.

#10 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,086 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

So your friend's commercially pressed CD played okay, but when you tried to copy it the copy had a 'pothole' in the exact same position? That's weird. Does the hole show when the copy is played in a different player?

There was a wonderful British author [Terry Pratchett] who created the magic equivalent of a polaroid camera in one of his books. It was a box with an Imp in it, and when you pressed the button the Imp would very quickly draw what he could see through the lens. The Imp could sometimes get very nasty. I think you might have one of those Imps in your box.

Seriously though, this one has me perplexed. I typically don't know how to stop until I get an answer, so I'd be inclined to try copying the CDs [1] on a different machine, and [2] on the same machine but with different software.  I would also try the Roxio rippers to rip the CD to .WAV, and see if the .wav file has a hole in it when played back.. Then I'd try to make sense of those results.

Regards,

Brendon

#11 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,963 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

My friend's CD, when I burned it, had the exact same error at the exact spot.

What is the name of the CD and where was it purchased?

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#12 Rich Haag

Rich Haag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

Tracker by Mark Knopfler, selection #13 (My heart Has Never Changed)appx 35 seconds into the song. But the "pothole", as you called it, doesn't come across on the original, only the copies. If you think it'd help, I'll send you my original and a copy and you can take it from there. I can purchase another original. And thanks for your info on Terry Pratchett. I think he was the author of the Discworld series. Let me know if you want my CDs. R

#13 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,961 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

So have you tried to make a copy on a different machine and/or using different software?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#14 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,963 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

I think it is a blank spot mastered into the bought disc but shows up on a ripped burned disc!

I would try Dave's suggestion Exact Audio Copy.

Brendon lives in Christchurch, N.Z. I live in the US.

Either of us would like to take a crack at your disc if you would like to send it to one of us.

cd

Spoiler

#15 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

Yes, the late Mr. Pratchett was indeed that author. :lol:

Thanks for the offer Rich, but we still have those other things to try first - EAC as Dave and Cdanteek suggest, or my suggestions in post #10

"I'd be inclined to try copying the CDs [1] on a different machine, and [2] on the same machine but with different software.  I would also try the Roxio rippers to rip the CD to .WAV, and see if the .wav file has a hole in it when played back.." 

You already have the Roxio rippers in Creator NXT2 in the Music/Audio menu.

Regards,

Brendon

#16 Rich Haag

Rich Haag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

Sorry for the long wait - here's an update....burned the CD in a different burner and with a different program and the "pothole had disappeared on the burned copy...I can get the name of the program if you need it.  So, I'm guessing that the problem iseither in my computer or on my version of the Roxio software.  Any guesses from your side?

#17 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

Yes, as suggested above, (a couple of times,) try extracting the tracks using Exact Audio Copy (EAC).  It's a free program.  You don't even have to write them to a disc, just rip them to a .WAV file, and listen the track in question and see if the problem goes away. 

Do the same thing using the Roxio ripper.  See if the problem exists in that version of the track.  Then we'll know if the problem is in the way that the Roxio program rips the track from the disc.

Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you'll suck forever. - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 750 TI video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer | ASUS-12B1ST Blu-Ray writer | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 7610 all-in-one printer/scanner | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

Instructions for posting images in your post.
Contact Roxio/Corel Support to reset your Key after too many install attempts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users