flying low

Mydvd Freezes While Using The Project View Or Preview Project Button

Question

To save the reader the grief of going through this entire set of posts, I have found what seems to be a solution to the problem of NXT-3 freezing.

I have upgraded my system and that has dramatically smoothed out the process and now it actually appears that it works every time!

I am now using:

Windows 7 Professional

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.30 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): increased from 8.0 GB to 16 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System

With the purchase of the new system, all programs were reinstalled including Roxio NXT-3. There may have been some issues in the old set up that were causing the program to freeze but after discussing the situation with my trustworthy computer guy, who has helped me over the years, we decided that an upgrade to my system was the best move. The biggest component to that upgrade was increasing the RAM from 8GB to 16GB. (It was not that expensive.) That lack of RAM was maxing out the ability of the computer do all the work required on some of the big projects that I was trying to complete and therefor 'freezing' it up.

I hope this was helpful.

Basic Computer Information:

Windows 7 Home Premium, Processor: Intel ® Core: TM i5 CPU, RAM: 8GB 7.8 GB useable, System Type: 64-bit Operating System

I have been running Roxio NXT 3 for over a year making videos with no problem. Recently I purchased a copy of Roxo’s ‘VHS to DVD Plus 3’ but it would not transfer video from my Sony DCR-TR7000 so I uninstalled it and returned it to the store. (I was successful in transferring a video from the camera to my computer using NERO, a program that has been on my computer for a long time.) However after removing ‘VHS to DVD Plus 3’, I started having problems with NXT 3. I could construct a video project with Video Wave and get it to transfer to My DVD. I was able to change the background, put in chapters, add music and save the project successfully. Here is where the problem began. At several points the MyDVD began to freeze up. It became non responsive. This occurred primarily in 2 spots. Please see the attached file.

1. The first issue seemed to be related to my use of the ‘go to linked menu/movie’ or sub menus list that was displayed in the ‘Project View’ window (found on the left side) and below ‘Productions”. As I attempted to navigate through that area by selecting the links it would freeze completely up even if I waited for a long time for something to happen. At this point I would open the ‘Task Manager’ and force it to shut down.
  2. The second issue occurs when I would select the preview button in MyDVD, sometimes it would work the first time it was selected but not a second time. Frequently the preview screen would open but the chapter screen that showed the chapters loading might just freeze up. At this point I would open the ‘Task Manager’ and force it to shut down. If I was successful previewing the project then closed that screen whole program would freeze and I was forced to go to the ‘Task Manager’ to force it to close.

I must tell you that I am a dedicated saver. As soon as I completed one step of the process of creating a playable DVD project for my TV, I would save the work. To many times I have lost large portions of work so I have learned to save, save, save!

I also want you to know that I limit the project size to what the DVD can safely hold. I monitor that carefully.

Here is what I did in an attempt to correct the problem. I thought that if I reloaded a fresh copy of NXT 3 over the old copy of NXT 3 the problem might be corrected. I did not have a hard copy of the NXT3 program so I contacted Roxio and they showed me how to download another copy from the internet. I did that successfully. I have followed several suggestions that I read about on the Roxio Community Forum. First I removed Java. Next I completely removed the older copy of NXT 3 using Microsoft’s uninstall, then completely removed any traces of the old program with an updated version of CCleaner followed by using CCleaner to fix any registry issues. Turned off the computer and rebooted it. Turned off all the anti-virus software. Then reinstalled the fresh copy of Roxio NXT 3. Still the same problem! I have done this about 4 times with no success so now I am asking for help.

After working through this all day yesterday and this morning I have been able to successfully make a playable DVD for my TV. That was only accomplished by starting at Video Wave (Edit Video – Advanced) loading the project file, taking that to My DVD then recreating menu background effects, chapters, music and one successful preview. At that point I saved the file, shut down the complete program. I reopened it, went to My DVD, reloaded the project, and then went directly to ‘Burn my DVD’. That process allowed me to successfully make the playable DVD. All aspects of the DVD worked.

I do not expect that is how you intended the program to work. Something is not functioning correctly when I get to the Preview process or use the I have a vague recollection that I had a similar issue when I first bought the program or maybe an earlier version of Roxio Creator and a tech helped me make some modification to my computer that corrected the issue.

Any Suggestions??

post-61409-0-51396400-1454094156_thumb.png

Edited by flying low

17 answers to this question

I apologize for not getting back sooner to your request that was made on February 11, 2016.

In response to:

“Mydvd Freezes While Using The Project View Or Preview Project Button”

…and your post #14 where you asked “I still don't understand your menu structure. Could you post some screenshots of your structure the way you did in post #9 above.”

I sincerely appreciate the time that you put in to helping me get a grip on the problem that I was having. I want you to know that I have upgraded my system and that has dramatically smoothed out the process and now it actually appears that it works every time!

I am now using:

Windows 7 Professional

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.30 GHz

With the purchase of the new system, all programs were reinstalled including Roxio NXT-3. There may have been some issues in the old set up that were causing the program to freeze but after discussing the situation with my trustworthy computer guy, who has helped me over the years, we decided that an upgrade to my system was the best move. The biggest component to that upgrade was increasing the RAM from 8GB to 16GB. (It was not that expensive.) That lack of RAM was maxing out the ability of the computer do all the work required on some of the big projects that I was trying to complete and therefor 'freezing' it up.

If I understand your response where you asked “I still don't understand your menu structure. Could you post some screenshots of your structure the way you did in post #9 above.” I believe that you are asking for this image which was found at the bottom of post #8. This particular attempt did not work and the computer went into a ‘not responding’ mode. But this was when I was using the old computer set up with only 8 RAM. The new system with 16 RAM was used just the other day and I was able to build a DVD with 3 chapter menus and a total of 18 sub-chapters. (Please see the last screen shot.)

post-61409-0-32760100-1455641794_thumb.png

post-61409-0-28194300-1455641826_thumb.png

As of today 2/16/2016 I have created several other DVD's and the program has functioned as it should. I hope this was helpful. If you would like any more information, please contact me.

Ted

In my opinion your menu is far too complex :huh: People will remember the video, Not the Menu. The only exception to that is if it a real pain to get to where you want to be, that they will remember :lol:

That said, it should not crash based on what I can see! I don't see that particular Menu Style? Which one is it?

I slapped together a similar one and find that it crashes when there are 6 Chapters... 5 work fine but 6 or more and it goes unresponsive.

Maybe some other users can confirm this?

Jim,

I tried your suggestion of creating only a few chapters from the same 45minutes of video tape that I was using before and it does work. As soon as it get to the next level at 7 or more it will freeze. Before the events that I described above happened, I was able to create an hour log DVD that had 13 chapters and that worked just fine. I was able to navigate between chapters very easily as I played it on my TV. I am thinking that there is some error in the program or my computer that has occurred. I will notify the support team at Roxio and see if they can suggest something.

Jim,

I tried your suggestion of creating only a few chapters from the same 45minutes of video tape that I was using before and it does work. As soon as it get to the next level at 7 or more it will freeze. Before the events that I described above happened, I was able to create an hour log DVD that had 13 chapters and that worked just fine. I was able to navigate between chapters very easily as I played it on my TV. I am thinking that there is some error in the program or my computer that has occurred. I will notify the support team at Roxio and see if they can suggest something.

Can you tell us exactly:

- what menu style are you using?

- what are the steps you are doing to create the chapter menu?

- what are the steps that you are doing that makes the program "crash"?

The successful method to create a DVD that you described in first post is the best way to create a DVD.

I also think some of the steps you took to "repair" the program may have corrupted your system. Why would you remove Java? Running registry cleaners such a CCleaner often remove things that are needed by the system.

Many of us use the program "Revo Uninstaller" to uninstall a progarm in the moderate modefree . It does a much better job then using the Windows Uninstall.

• Like 1

Here is the situation...

I believe that my program is corrupted. I was able to run the repair program that opens with the install/uninstall used with Microsoft.

This is what happens now...

After using VideoWave I am able to move the file to MyDVD with no problem. See screen 1. this is a playable program.post-61409-0-11804400-1454199430.png It closes and was saved.

To create chapters I select Production and the Edit Chapters. post-61409-0-68126800-1454199718.png

This screen opens.

post-61409-0-40631300-1454199822.png

I generate chapters every 8 minutes, select 'OK' and we have a page that looks like this...

post-61409-0-59918200-1454199998.png

Notice there are not many chapters. So I select the Preview button and....

This screen will look like this and it LOCKS UP....#%$&^*@#!

post-61409-0-45160300-1454200194.png

As I said.. I think there is some program or line of code missing......

There must be something missing that links the 'Production' with the 'Chapters' and causes it to go into a continuous loop (Not Responding) or Freezes up. :(

Flying low, do you really want to keep getting the help from those who have been trying to help you. If so, you might want to answer ALL of the questions you have been asked. You have been asked twice what Menu style you are using, and for whatever reason, you have avoided answering it. Good luck.

The menu style that I have been using is the default style as seen here.

post-61409-0-23353300-1454246199.png

The view that you have been seeing is the result of my using the "Change Menu Background" button and using another picture.

post-61409-0-57556500-1454246468.png

The fact there are 2 levels of chapters has never been a problem. I successfully did a 3 tier video just a few weeks ago before the program began to freeze.

You also asked "Why would you remove Java?" I did that because a friend with a seemingly good understanding of computers suggested that program may cause problems. I have since reinstalled it. ....No difference is seen.

At your suggestion I will also check out the 'Revo Uninstaller'.

I did install the Revo Uninstaller software. Then I deleted the NXT3 program again and reinstalled it from the recently downloaded copy that I received from Roxio. . Restarted the computer and again rebuilt the program from scratch. (It is only about 45 minutes long.) The program still froze at the same point.

Do you think that the NXT3 program is completely self contained and by reinstalling it, everything should be there to make it run successfully? If that is the case then I suspect that the damage may be somewhat deeper than just the NXT3 program.

I think it would be best before advising him to fix it, to actually TRY it and see...

I think you find the same results that I did

5 Chapter Titles Work

6 Do Not!

That would be an issue in the program. If that is the case, there is no point in chasing tails with details that are not relevant :(

The lost is found!! Or should I say stumbled into..... In other words I do not know what I did that actually corrected the 'freeze' issue.

After multiple times going through the uninstall NXT3, install NXT3, use of Revco uninstall, updating the Windows program, discovering the original downloaded setup and content files of the NXT3 program from last year and using the 'repair' program that surfaces in the uninstall sequence, the problem has corrected itself.

Today I was able to successfully put together a DVD with three chapters, each containing 6 sub-menus for a total of 18 separate sections in my 45 minute production.

Thanks and I appreciate your efforts in helping me through this situation.

PS

It was not completely corrected.... it seems that it only worked randomly.... I took some time and consulted a computer tech and we have upgraded my computer.

Edited by flying low

As an added note to all that are having the same issue..... I have upgraded my system and that has dramatically smoothed out the process!

I am now using:

Windows 7 Professional

Processor: Intel® Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.30 GHz

The lost is found!! Or should I say stumbled into..... In other words I do not know what I did that actually corrected the 'freeze' issue.

After multiple times going through the uninstall NXT3, install NXT3, use of Revco uninstall, updating the Windows program, discovering the original downloaded setup and content files of the NXT3 program from last year and using the 'repair' program that surfaces in the uninstall sequence, the problem has corrected itself.

Today I was able to successfully put together a DVD with three chapters, each containing 6 sub-menus for a total of 18 separate sections in my 45 minute production.

Thanks and I appreciate your efforts in helping me through this situation.

PS

It was not completely corrected.... it seems that it only worked randomly.... I took some time and consulted a computer tech and we have upgraded my computer.

I still don't understand your menu structure. Could you post some screenshots of your structure the way you did in post #9 above.

I agree with Jim - the RAM was not the problem. NXT 3 runs fine on my 4GB RAM HP laptop. Something else was wrong in your system or in your project setup

Thanks again to both of you for the help that you have offered. :) It was certainly beyond my ability to correct the problem. The good news is that I now have an upgraded computer and the problems that I was having are now gone. Hopefully I will not do something to corrupt the mysterious inner workings of the mother board!

Ted