GordonL

Automatic Scene Detection From .avi File Or Long Mini 8 Tape

Question

I can capture hour + mini 8 tape, or avi file, select auto scene detection, which creates the scenes, which show up on right hand side of screen, but can not move the the scenes, that I want to use, down to the story board. Whole tape shows as first and only scene on the story board or time line. I used to be able to do it with earlier versions of Creator, but have not tried in a long time. What have I forgotten to do?

8 answers to this question

Please explain: "Whole tape shows as first and only scene on the story board or time line."

After the scene detection, do you see the scenes? If not, you may need to increase the sensitivity or do a manual scene detection.

You can add the scenes from there (individually) or if you have more, go up (up arrow) and you'll see a little down arrow at the bottom of the selected video window. When you click on the windows, the scenes will be displayed.

Does that help?

Edited by sknis

The story board shows one icon, which contains the entire, UN-scene selected file. I do see the individual scenes in the media detector on the right side of my screen, but can not move them down to the story board. I gave up on this quite a while ago and only just now discovered the forum. My terminology suffers from having not looked at the program for quite some time.

My new camera records individual scenes on a card. Consequently, I have only worked with files from the new camera over the past many months. However, I have many hours of valuable unedited tapes that I would like to run scene detection and selection on and produce several shows.

Your help is most appreciated.

You select the scenes you want to use from the scene detection window You ignore the ones you don;t want..

Are you sure you want the scenes and not other things. Please explain.

Sorry but my notes on Scenes are not available to me at this time.

If your new camcorder captures one file every time you press record you have your 'scenes' pre made for you. You just add one file at a time. It is possible to need to insert a scene within one of these clips, but not too often.

Your captures are contiguous files and those you have to break up. (Steve explained their use)

But the real big question is what do you want these scenes to do for you??? You mentioned inserting them into a project but is there any other thing you want from them?

The story board shows one icon, which contains the entire, UN-scene selected file. I do see the individual scenes in the media detector on the right side of my screen, but can not move them down to the story board. I gave up on this quite a while ago and only just now discovered the forum. My terminology suffers from having not looked at the program for quite some time.

My new camera records individual scenes on a card. Consequently, I have only worked with files from the new camera over the past many months. However, I have many hours of valuable unedited tapes that I would like to run scene detection and selection on and produce several shows.

Your help is most appreciated.

First of all your should not have any clip on the storyboard. So if you have one there, delete it.

Then using Add Photo/Video, navigate to the video your want to scene detect, right click on it and select Scene Detection and proceed. After all the scenes have been identified, select the scenes you want by clicking on it while pressing CTRL and then click on OPen. Your selected scenes should now appear on the storyboard as individual panels.

I never use the scene detection since it is very unreliable in detecting the scenes you want. I prefer to capture in short clips while watching the video. I can then easily remove sections from the clips that I do not want.

My older video camera captured everything in one continuous file. Therefore, I may have several hours of takes from which I want to make a 30 minute show. I do run auto scene detection and do get the scenes showing up in media selector. When I select the scenes I want, they are highlighted. I think, in older software I used to drag them down to the story board. I guess I better try Guru's suggestion and hit OPEN instead of trying to drag the scenes down.

Thank you. Will try this as soon as I have a break in my schedule.

You realize of course that you have no idea what is "contained" in the scenes that you are autodetecting. I found that you still have to scan those scenes to see if they have what you want. In the end I found it more efficient to do a manual capture and scene scan.

Dragging scenes from the Media Selector window to the storyboard though does work in NXT 3

Edited by myguggi

Took a while to find it! It is a few years old but still applies to NXT3 ;)

Take a look HERE for an explanation of Scene creation and use.

Edited by Jim_Hardin