• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Codeman

Codeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

I have used previous Roxio products to capture VHS using my Canopus ADVC110 in the past.  MYDVD is one that I recall and I think I also had an older version of Creator.  I do not recall if I had issues with the Roxio Creator NXT because I may not have used it.  I have not done a VHS capture in sometime and certainly not with my new computer which is Windows 10 and 64-bit.  The computer recognizes the Canopus in the firewire ports but Roxio will not capture.  I have tried the VHS capture making sure the Canopus device is in Analog mode and even tried it in Digital mode.  The Canopus device has a button to change the modes which have lights to show the mode status.  I even tried to capture a DVD I made of a vacation.  I have a new combo DVD/VHS player because my old ones stopped ejecting the VHS tapes.  Repair cost more than just getting a new unit   The new combo was hooked up to a TV and it the unit does play.  Roxio error window when trying to capture shows; "Failed to setup system components for showing picture or sound."   I do not know what the issue is.  If anyone can offer some advice to help me resolve the issue it would be greatly appreciated.  The computer has a firewire card and I have used each port outside the computer as well as the port inside the computer on the card.  My old computer had a sound card that had a firewire port.  I am not sure that makes a difference.             

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

You say you have NXt 3 but you posted in NXT2 part of the forum.  Please clarify.  NXT 2 is not compatible with W10; NXT 3 MAY be compatible.

Have you checked to make sure that the Canopus has firmware for W 10?    Are you sure you are using the right firewire connections  (4 pin to 4 pin or 6 pin to 6 pin)?

Doesn't Canopus have video capture software?  Why not use that and do any editing in VideoWave?   I see that the Canopus has a HDMI output.  That carries both a video and audio signal.

I don;t know of a "sound card" that would have firewire.  It would be redundant with the ports on the audio card which is already an A/D converter.

Am I missing something?

Edited by sknis, 18 February 2016 - 12:48 PM.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#3 Codeman

Codeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I will check firewire out.  I was able to capture using Windows Media program.  I will make sure I am in NXT 3 for future posting.

#4 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I will check firewire out.  I was able to capture using Windows Media program.  I will make sure I am in NXT 3 for future posting.

I'm not sure that is what I suggested.   Perhaps I was confused with the information provided.  The Canopis is an A/D conmverter so you should jsut be able to use the output via firewire.

What program with in NXT 3 are you using to try to capture?

Edited by sknis, 19 February 2016 - 09:34 AM.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

#5 Codeman

Codeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

My PCI firewire card is a IEEE-1394a 6 pin to 4 pin cable it states on the sepcification sheet.  Canopus ADVC110's IEEE 1394 firewire cable is a 6 pin-6 pin.  So I do not know if that is the issue.  If the computer's plug in card takes a 6 pine cable, I do not know if the 4 pin reference is addressing that the card gets 4 pin input.

I downloaded Windows Essentials and only installed the PhotoGallery which captures Videos.  I captured my video from the VHS tape using it.  

Roxio Creator NXT Pro 3; I tried using the Capture Video icon on the Home screen but it kept giving me the error window I listed in my first post.  My older software with Roxio did capture video fine through the Canopus on my old computer.  At one time I even had a Canopus internal capture card but it went bad which caused me to get the external Canopus device I have now.  I think before I got the new computer, which is less than a year old, I had NXT Pro 3 on my old computer using Windows 8.1.

Do not know if any of this information will help.  But any suggestions are welcome.  

#6 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:46 PM

The pin connections must match or it won't work.   Neither will a mix and almost match use of several programs.  

As for capture with NXT, open Video Wave (Edit Video Advanced) and on the left side, select to capture the video.  If everything is set correctly, then you should see the capture window options.    If your device doesn;t show up, refer to the first sentence in this rply.

Attached File  2016-02-19_1543.png   43.65KB   0 downloads

Perhaps it is time to start from scratch and read about capturing and the Canopis device.? 

Edited by sknis, 19 February 2016 - 01:47 PM.

Laptop - Windows 10

#7 Codeman

Codeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I am researching the pin differences.  Maybe get another PCI card with 6-pin to 6-pin as soon as I can find one.  However, I have been able to capture through the Windows program the VHS movie. Then I used Roxio to pop out the color, do some other adjustments on the old videos, convert them to avi and then burned the captured movies to a DVD.  

#8 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:58 AM

Talk about a circumference route !   You can do everything in Creator (Edit Video-Advanced) .  Why AVI file?  ALL (except high definition)videos on a DVD are mpg2 files (with a VOB) extension.

Come back after doing as little research !

Laptop - Windows 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users