Question

I'm having trouble with my Roxio standard came capture.

After connecting all the wires to the TV and the RGC, the preview screen is flickering and stuttering; also cuts off either the sides or the top and bottom depending on what setting it's in.

Don't think it's a hardware issue because none of this happens on the TV. Any advice?

25 answers to this question

Would have been nice if you listed your computer specs...

what you are connected to...

how you are connected...

You have to remember, he/she is a gamer.

Here is how to connect

post-68-0-95568900-1456694656_thumb.png

The above picture is showing a Console (xbox/PS3) connected to the RGC unit....if yours is a different tell us what you have.

For more info on your computer specs....... Start button(bottom left on your keyboard), then right-click on Computer, and then clicking Properties.

Here is a video

Edited by ogdens

Thanks for the assist Tonyy -_-

Ganizani: Please include what game box you have as well.

Your PC specs look like they will be OK but the speed of the processor and the number for the System Rating will nail it ;)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

OK gotcha

The only difference with the connection from ogdens diagram is that mine connects from my Wii instead of an Xbox. Bought a cable from amazon with a component cable instead of the standard SCART so it would definitely be compatible work with the Roxio.

The RGC unit is the standard one (not HD).

The system rating is 1.0 and I believe the processor speed is 1.00GHz

OK gotcha

The only difference with the connection from ogdens diagram is that mine connects from my Wii instead of an Xbox. Bought a cable from amazon with a component cable instead of the standard SCART so it would definitely be compatible work with the Roxio.

The RGC unit is the standard one (not HD).

The connection isn't the issue but the PC is (if your info is right)

The minimum requirement is a 1.8 to 2.0 Ghz processing speed and 2 cores.

Recheck your System info as it show your processor and its' speed. If it shows 2 numbers for speed, it means you have 2 cores ;)

If your performance rating is 1.0 that PC isn't going to cut it!

A example of what I use below..

post-97-0-08620100-1456837074_thumb.jpg

You still have given us your Computer specs.

Go back to post #6 and watch the video, and give us the specs... what we need is the info underneath where it shows System.

Edited by ogdens

I'm having trouble with my Roxio standard came capture.

After connecting all the wires to the TV and the RGC, the preview screen is flickering and stuttering; also cuts off either the sides or the top and bottom depending on what setting it's in.

Don't think it's a hardware issue because none of this happens on the TV. Any advice?

I think we have enough to assume his PC is enough for this product... (info would still be a nice touch)

You mention the borders changing from top/bottom to sides "depending on what setting it's in". There is no setting in the RGC Software so are you refering to the settings in your Wii?

If you can find those settings MAKE SURE you have it set to a FIXED output! - 720 X 480 or 720 X 576 is good.

Note the Standard version only captures in SD, hence the borders. Also, if the Wii is not SET it will try to find the device and search forever...

The pass through to your TV skips all this so it will be unaffected.

The only other thing is the graphics of your PC. Try these things first before we rip that apart :lol:

The settings I was talking about were the different PAL and NTSC options on the Roxio capture software.

As well as the widescreen, 16:9 and 4:3 ratios on the Wii. Also the 50Hz, 60Hz and EDTV 480p options on the Wii.

Whenever I changed any of the above, the screen portion cut off would also change randomly.

Something I forgot to mention was that, if I change the sound input from the Roxio unit to the microphone in my laptop the screen is fine, but unfortunately then I have none of the audio from the game so that's not quite a solution.

post-129534-0-90703700-1456955154_thumb.jpg

I just don't see that 1 Ghz machine doing this much work! It is roughly 1/2 of the minimum requirement :huh:

<_< that last tidbit about the Audio is interesting...

I don't have time to delve into that today, but if someone wants to pursue that direction, please go for it!

How do I increase the Ghz? do I have to get a new processor for my laptop?

I think your laptop is lager than 1 GHz! 1 GHz processor's came out in the late 1990's.

What you need to do is find the Dell system tag on the laptop and go to Dells website ( join/sign in) and look your system specs up.

Copy and paste them in a post here.

If you can't ( join/sign in) and find them call Dell and have them direct you to them.

Couldn't get onto the dell website but I had a look at some other laptops that are the same model as mine and it says they're dual cored with 1.65 Ghz processor.

Jim_Hardin said we needed a 1.8 - 2.0 Ghz processor so how do I increase it?

• Like 1

Jim_Hardin said we needed a 1.8 - 2.0 Ghz processor so how do I increase it?

Not worth it in dollars to try and increase it on a laptop.

Buy a new PC or laptop with way more processor speed and more cores.

Ok so I borrowed someone's laptop to confirm that it was working and to try out the standard RGC again.

post-129534-0-23005200-1458928007_thumb.png

They have 4 available cores that I activated in system configuration.

It didn't work again except this time it kept buffering after I clicked capture on the screen where you choose to capture or edit.

it would not load up anything and eventually become unresponsive before i had to turn off the laptop to make it go away.

Any suggestions?

Ok so I borrowed someone's laptop to confirm that it was working and to try out the standard RGC again.

They have 4 available cores that I activated in system configuration.

Any suggestions?

Ah ha, you tinker ;)

Truth is you leave EVERYTHING in a PC to Default, and they magically work :huh:

Only imagine what they might have done in the Graphics Software too...

If it were mine, I would save the important stuff and reformat it :lol:

Try a stock PC and I'll bet it works fine.

The default setting on the borrowed laptop only had 1 core active and you said the RGC needed 2. So i figured i'd activate them all.

Tried reinstalling the software onto my 1st laptop on the off chance it would work when this message appeared again. (6 times to be exact).

post-129534-0-56249300-1459013988_thumb.jpg

It's appeared every time I've installed the software onto a laptop. I seem to remember reading somewhere that script errors can be caused by not having enough power to run a script. Is that the case?

Sorry if i keep adding tons of potentially useless info but I REALLY want to get to the bottom of this.

What Operating System is on the borrowed laptop (XP/W7,8,10).

What is the Performance Rating (see picture in post #11).

Edited by ogdens

The default setting on the borrowed laptop only had 1 core active and you said the RGC needed 2. So i figured i'd activate them all.

Tried reinstalling the software onto my 1st laptop on the off chance it would work when this message appeared again. (6 times to be exact).

attachicon.gifscript error.jpg

It's appeared every time I've installed the software onto a laptop. I seem to remember reading somewhere that script errors can be caused by not having enough power to run a script. Is that the case?

Sorry if i keep adding tons of potentially useless info but I REALLY want to get to the bottom of this.

Your PC and the borrowed PC is a Intel processor?

You can set all 4 cores to on in boot config but its unlikely to change anything. You are more likely running on power saving, if so set it to high performance rather than balanced in windows but even then the cpu will only use what it needs to. Intel and amd's processors are different in how they handle this.

My 8 core Intel processor settings.

post-97-0-39109400-1459085344_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-86884800-1459085774_thumb.jpg

Edited by cdanteek

Thanks gang (out of town yesterday)

Only thing I would add is that there are laptops and they must be operating off AC power adapter and not battery.