Mcotigno

Creator Nxt Video Capture

Question

Trivia question...

Anyone have any clues as to why Creator NXT Video Capture would go into pause periodically while capturing video ??

Using a Sony TVR720 connected via 1394 cable to a Dell PC. Works fine while viewing the video in playback, but as soon as I hit capture...Creator NXT pauses the video after a short while. Does this consistently.

16 answers to this question

Your PC is not fast enough to handle the incoming video? Your hard drive is so clogged it can't store the incoming video?

THere are a lot of reasons - you have not supplied any useful information to make any reasonable help.

Your complete system specs would be a start. Have you used this PC to capture via Firewire before?

sorry... I posted my specs here before, Dell M4600, Intel core I7, W7 64 bit, 16 gig ram, solid state drive with more than enough space, etc...

I have successfully captured video using same camera and firewire before

Make sure you have nothing else running when you are trying to capture- with periodic stops, it sounds like you have a program running that takes the computer's attention away from the capture.

E-mail, and anti-virus are two possibilities. Disconnect from the Internet and see if it still happens. Let us know.

Each thread stands alone and I'm sure that you don't expect us to search for your other posts to find information. It would be helpful to add your computer specs and other important information into your signature as you see other have done.

Nope.....tried all that already. Still same result.

And as mentioned previously, I have been able to capture using exact same setup before

If it worked when using exactly the same setup before, then something must have changed in your machine between then and now to produce a different result.

You need to focus on your machine and find out what changed. Since you have the machine and we don't, we can't do that for you except to suggest you examine any changes in your Operating System or software, and especially Windows Updates or altered drivers.

Going to your backup or a restore point made back when you could capture, might help you.

nope...nothing changed and it does work properly using other clips.

So it must be related to the contents in the clip I am trying to capture. As an additional oddity to add to the mix....it is consistent in the size of the MP2 files and duration. It will always pause the camera after 30 seconds or so and each file is approximately 35 meg.

Finally I can watch the entire clip in the capture preview window, rewind, fast forward, etc.

The symptom only manifests itself in capture mode.

What are you capturing TO? ~ sounds like a FAT32 might be involved???

How about a couple of screenshots?

Would you tell us what your OS is? (assuming Win 7, do you have your 1394 set to Legacy?)

If you would post a screen shot or two it might go a long way to help us... Posting info HERE

Curious, did you get your EVD problems resolved?

Thanks Jim, appreciate your tenacity. While I don't like changing settings and updating drivers without knowing for certain that is the cause, against my better judgment went ahead anyway, and restarted the PC. Same results. Not sure what the screen shots will tell you but attaching two versions...one for an MP2 and the other for an AVI capture...just in case that was the next suggestion. Don't what you'll be able to glean from the screen shots...all I can tell you is the software (Creator NXT Capture) will pause the camera after 30 seconds...without fail.

Thinking it might be a camera setting somewhere, perused the Sony web site...not camera settings but they did have some free ware for managing video and photos...very similar to creator but FREE !! Installed it and tried capturing the video I am having issues with...and to my surprise it works...no pauses at all. So now my challenge is figuring out why there is a noticeable degradation in the captured video. I am expecting members of this forum will quip..."what do you expect for freeware" :D:D

Never the less it does work, it is free, so now I just need to find some way of not loosing the quality of the original.

Not sure how to answer the what am I capturing to, other than my hard drive, which is where all the other captures are going, including the Creator NXT that do work.

Running Windows 7 64 bit and current with maintenance.

EVD ?? If referring to Easy LP, yep Roxio was able to provide me with a new and valid install key.

off to find my Sony PlayMemories fix for now...

oops...looks like the files are to big to attach....will try and find some other way of sending screen shots....

The screen cap was to confirm what you were saying ~ you'd be amazed :lol:

You did not confirm the Legacy Setting for the 1394. Windows updates can change settings.

post-39730-0-13688800-1457214061_thumb.jpg

And what are you capturing To? What is Drive D:\?

I do not have anything with a 1394 anymore so I can't really test it... It was 6 or 7 versions ago since I used one.

It is tempting to take a shot at the Sony Software but I'll let pass.

Might be in need of a proper repair in case Roxio picked up some rust along the way...

This is extensive, but it what I suggest...
(Add Nothing! - Skip Nothing!)

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Unplug your Roxio Capture Device (your LP Cap) and put it aside until you are completely finished.

Now insert your Roxio Disc. (or download)

Don’t do any updates at this time (get it running first)

When you reach the screen where Repair is offered, choose that!

When the Repair completes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

Double check your connections and your wires. Either of them could not allow full power to/from the IEEE port. I have NXT 3 on a W7 computer and NXT 4 on a W10 computer and they seem to work. Sorry I can't help more.

Do you have Windows restore turned on? If so, you may be able to restore your computer to the time that it worked. Then you can add Windows updates to see if one of them is the cause of your problem.

From Windows :

Restore from a system restore point

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

1. Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.

2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.

3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

4. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Note
  • If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check, go to theControl Panel, search for Recovery, and then select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.

Edited by sknis

Thanks All.

Think I'm going to call it a day on this one. I started this thread by saying it was a "trivia" question but now I am convinced it is a defect in the software. Something in the video I am trying to capture causes it to get "confused" and it pauses the capture. The capture works fine with all other videos I have copied and as I said numerous times in this thread, the capture preview works just fine too, so something during the actual capture process is causing an interruption of some sort.

The freeware from Sony seems to be working fine, so I am able to capture this last video and burn to DVD.

All this effort to try and resolve the Roxio issue just doesn't seem worth it and doubt the vendor can or will do anything as support is very limited.

Sorry but if it were, 'a defect in the software', Everyone would have it!

I do agree that there is something in your camcorder that is producing something that the software interprets as an end of tape signal.

That another software will capture simply means it lacks the checking that prevents an unattended capture from filling your HDD while you are gone :lol:

Most of us have been capturing video from the time before there were DVDs so we have seen about everything there is ;)

hmmmm...not sure about the fact that everyone would have it. No one has used this combination is more apt. The fact the other software can capture it could be interpreted that it is better able to analyze and deal with the signals it is getting.

As a final post on this subject....just as an experiment...I tried using the Easy DVD USB cable using the regular RCA jacks on the camera, and lo and behold...it worked....however the price was degraded picture I'm guessing due to having use analog versus digital.

Thanks again for your assistance.