nanamarie

Dvd Player Won't Read Burned Dvds

Question

I am using the Roxio VHS to DVD 3 Plus program to burn old family VHS tapes to DVD. I have used to program to save the VHS tapes onto my computer then going back and using the program to edit out bits of the video. I have used this program on my Toshiba Windows 10 computer as well as my Fujitsu Windows 8 computer when it no longer worked with the Toshiba. For some reason the program burns DVDs just fine for about a week, then it will no longer burn DVDs that will work in a DVD player. After each disk I burn, I check to make sure they work.

I have used Sony as well as Verbatim DVD-R.

Here are the steps that I use:

1. Open Roxio

2. Record, Edit, Save

3. Open the video I want to burn from what I had converted earlier

4. Trim the DVD if it needs it

5. Compress the Video

6. Burn to DVD

Once it is done burning I check the dvd to make sure it works. I don't know why after it working so well that it will start spitting out dvds that give errors on my dvd players such as "cannot read" or "invalid district." I haven't done any updates, changes or anything to my computer. I have just been burning disks on it lately. I am not good with technology, so any help would be appreciated. I am getting sick of wasting disks when the don't work. All I want is to get this project of converting home videos to dvd done for my parents!

34 answers to this question

I tried the steps in the post above, post # 26. It didn't work. For some reason the default setting is the PAL.

If you live in the U.S. have a Microsoft Operating System in English it installed the Roxio Software NTSC as your default.

You even told us it burned NTSC and worked before.

Other than a repair or uninstall reinstall I don't know what else to tell you.

I tried the steps in the post above, post # 26. It didn't work. For some reason the default setting is the PAL.

What actually happens when you try to change the resolution to 720x480? Does it let you do that? Or does it automatically change it back to 720x576?

If it lets you change the resolution, do you then get the option to set your Frame Rate to NTSC (29.97)?

It's unclear from what you said what happens when you try to change those settings.

What actually happens when you try to change the resolution to 720x480? Does it let you do that? Or does it automatically change it back to 720x576?

If it lets you change the resolution, do you then get the option to set your Frame Rate to NTSC (29.97)?

It's unclear from what you said what happens when you try to change those settings.

Okay, sorry it has taken so long to respond. When I change the resolution to 720x 480 it automatically sets the Frame Rate to NTSC (29.97). When I click on the 720x576 it automatically changes to the PAL setting.

When I change the resolution to 720x 480 it automatically sets the Frame Rate to NTSC (29.97).

Exactly what I told you in post # 26.

Set it there and burn a DVD!

Okay, and my apologies if I'm beating a dead horse, but Post #26 shows settings for both PAL and NTSC. It also has a read arrow pointing to the "Restore Defaults" button. Can you clarify that you set everything for NTSC? And thanks.

I'm not sure why you wait two weeks in between answering posts make this way more difficult.

After answering Dave's questions in post # 33 try what I outlined below.

I booted into my image with V2D3 Plus and made a NTSC .mpg file and a Pal .mpg file all I can say is it works fine on my system!

Do you have a friend that could look over your settings and help you?

Instead of burning a DVD EXPORT a short clip to a mpg file like I did (saves wasting a DVD) and check the properties of those two files?

The DVD not playing could be another problem not a NTSC - PAL problem!

post-97-0-59570300-1460763399_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-65987100-1460763632_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-04873000-1460763445_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-96930700-1460763546_thumb.jpg

My apologies for the long delay in responses. I am currently staying in a rural area so I do not have much for internet access. I have recently graduated college, so when I am able to get internet, using it to find a full time job instead of the part time job I had in college has been a higher priority than the dvd project. I have checked the video files like the post #34 showed. It shows the same information as the first two pictures, the ones for the NTSC. I have done the "Restore settings" like post # 33 has asked. It looks the same as first picture from post #34. I just tried saving the video on my computer again (it was already on there from back in February when I converted them from VHS) then burned a dvd. This one I just finished did work, so I am praying that it continues to work okay.