LostKitten4

No Audio In Sound Editor

Question

I've got Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus installed, and have been recording video for more than a year with no problems. It still records video, with the audio, with no trouble. The problem comes when I want to record ONLY audio. Now that I'm trying to use Sound Editor to copy over my old cassettes, I can get no audio playback or recording whatsoever.

I have tested the cassette player with headphones, and I get sound then, so the problem is not with the machine itself.

I have tried making the Roxio line (USB input) the default device, I've maxed out the volume on the device, my computer, and inside the sound editor but I get only dead silence. The wavy sound lines also do not appear so it's clearly not getting any input at all. I have tested this on 2 separate laptops (Vista, and windows 8) to no effect.

I tried an open-source audio recording program (Audible) but could not make the sound work there either. I have even tried using the VHS-DVD software to record it (though the video portion would obviously be blank) but there again I got no sound.

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's going wrong here.

45 answers to this question

The Audio jacks on the front are IN jacks. It does not appear to have any OUT jacks.

In your first post you mentioned you have a Cassette player. Does it have Audio OUT jacks on it.

You beat me asking the exact same questions ! :o

The manual is here: https://docs.sony.com/release//LBTZX66I_ZX99I.pdf

Using that, what jacks are you using? You may be able to use the (ear) "Phones" jack but I don;t think that jack will have enough power to do any good when you are recording.

Why not call where to bought the system (or Sony) and ask for help.

Edited by sknis

Ok, it's sounding like I can't do this even if I had the right cable. My Sony system is marked Audio left & right (white & red jacks in the front) # 23 - so that's what I've been trying to use. Is that just for games?

If it helps here is the link for the cassette player. Pyle Pro PT 649D It has In (Rec) white & red and Out (Play) white & red jacks to connect it to the stereo.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PT649D/Dual-Cassette-Deck

Thanks again!

I just now saw the pictures of the cables and they are like mine except only the white and red are connected on mine - but I do have a separate yellow cable.

You would connect the Line OUT (Red & White) on your Cassette player directly into your Roxio usb unit, nothing else.

I would also suggest you get a friend,neighbor,relative,co-worker (who has some basic electronics/computer knowledge) to come over and help you. Based on your answers on here you seem to be in over your head and need help.

Ok, it's sounding like I can't do this even if I had the right cable. My Sony system is marked Audio left & right (white & red jacks in the front) # 23 - so that's what I've been trying to use. Is that just for games?

If it helps here is the link for the cassette player. Pyle Pro PT 649D It has In (Rec) white & red and Out (Play) white & red jacks to connect it to the stereo.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PT649D/Dual-Cassette-Deck

Thanks again!

Go directly from the cassette desk to your computer's audio card. It has RCA plus for both input and output; make sure you use the correct ones.

Note the link to the manual doesn't work so I can;t give you more detailed information. Ah, Amazon has a version of the manual and you can go from line out (back of the unit) to yjr USB device.

I still haven't been able to reload the program but you would use "Digitize...". If the tapes are important and need to be fixed, use the free trial of GoldWave.

Edited by sknis

Ok, thanks I'll try that soon. I did get Roxio working again for copying VHS to DVD - there were two options for connecting to the back of the VCR so all I had to do was switch jacks.

Yes, Ogdens - You are correct about me and electronics! Luckily, you have all had enough patience to keep answering my questions.

Will post back when I try connecting directly to the cassette player.

He could buy a 'Y' cord and go to the head phones jack on the Sony. :)

post-97-0-05114300-1457997660_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-07390200-1457997599_thumb.jpg

There are very, very few programs that can work with the Roxio Capture USB, so not surprised Audible would not work.

You have done some pretty good ground work. If Roxio appears in you Line In, it indicates the drivers are present. As a double check...

With the device plugged in, open Device Manager (Control Panel) and make sure you see both driver indicators in there!

attachicon.gifRoxio EVD 3 Installed - NEW Device.jpg

(also No warning indicators)

Also right click your Speaker and check the Volume Mixer to make sure Roxio is not muted.

attachicon.gifAudio Cap Win 10 b.jpg

Please let us know what you find on both your PC's.

Thank you for your reply.

Ok, so I checked both PC's and found "Roxio Video Capture USB" listed twice. No warning indicators that I could see and no signs of anything strange or out of place. I checked, and maxed out, the volume mixer and all the volume options both on my computer and in Sound Editor but still got no sound on either computer.

I plugged a simple red-white-yellow cord (the same one I use with the Roxio device to capture VHS, for which the sound does work) into the back of the cassette player. This is plugged into the Roxio device and then the USB end is plugged into my computer. It's hooked up exactly the way the VHS gets hooked up, except for leaving the video end unplugged) I have tried all the USB ports with a mouse and thumbdrives to make sure one of them is not faulty, but they all seem to work fine.

LostKitten4

What is the make and model # of your Cassette player?.

Edited by ogdens

LostKitten4

It is the Pyle mentioned in #29. You already had already commented on it!

It is the Pyle mentioned in #29. You already had already commented on it!

LostKitten4 is the Original Poster on this thread. Smokyie1 is the guy with the Pyle cassette unit. ;)

LostKitten4

I have tried 2 different ones: a Philips MC260 Micro system and a Sharp CD-C3600 Mini Component System. Both are CD and Cassette players and are in relatively good shape. I have not been able to get a sound transfer from either of them using the Roxio device, but they do work with headphones plugged in so I know the actual cassette player portion does function.

odens -- Sorry for the confusion. Smokyle1 should be ashamed for hijacking the thread and I should be ashamed for not keeping them straight. !

Lost -- did you try the headphone jacks? The manual is sort of confusing so the headphone jack MAY be on one of the speakers. The Sharp should be right in the front. You will need to increase the volume of the capture when you are capturing.

Edited by sknis

Ok, if I can jump back in for a second and yes, I know I should have started a new thread.

Anyway, I connected as was suggested directly from the cassette player (I have the Pyle Pro Unit) to the Roxio USB in the computer and it didn't work. Tried the opposite jacks on the cassette player and then I have no sound on the stereo.

Ok, if I can jump back in for a second and yes, I know I should have started a new thread.

Anyway, I connected as was suggested directly from the cassette player (I have the Pyle Pro Unit) to the Roxio USB in the computer and it didn't work. Tried the opposite jacks on the cassette player and then I have no sound on the stereo.

Did you use the Phone jack (head phones)? I think that is the only way. Make sure your Windows setting for audio capture are set correctly. See your Windows instructions for how to do that.

Making sure we are on the same page...

I picked Win 10 as it is more compatible with your Win 8.

Note the Capture From and the blue bars in L & R:

post-39730-0-07579600-1458134513_thumb.jpg

Note they change when I lower the Recording level:

post-39730-0-56768800-1458134514_thumb.jpg

I cannot hear any of this while the Record Audio window is up.

Short Recording:

post-39730-0-30746700-1458134516_thumb.jpg

When Stopped and Done, shows up in Sound Editor:

post-39730-0-54856100-1458134517_thumb.jpg

Note blue bars at the bottom while playing.

How do my pictures compare to your screen?

Making sure we are on the same page...

I picked Win 10 as it is more compatible with your Win 8.

Note the Capture From and the blue bars in L & R:

attachicon.gifEVD 3 Sound Editor 1.jpg

Note they change when I lower the Recording level:

attachicon.gifEVD 3 Sound Editor 2.jpg

I cannot hear any of this while the Record Audio window is up.

Short Recording:

attachicon.gifEVD 3 Sound Editor 3.jpg

When Stopped and Done, shows up in Sound Editor:

attachicon.gifEVD 3 Sound Editor 4.jpg

Note blue bars at the bottom while playing.

How do my pictures compare to your screen?

I have tried the headphone ports on each machine. They work (give out sound) when the headphones are plugged in but not for the Roxio device.

My screen looks identical to the first two screen. I have selected the Roxio line in device and I have maxed out the recording volume inside Sound Editor as well as on the computer itself and in the mixer for the Roxio device. I am not getting any sound. It's not that I just can't hear it while it records, it's that is simply isn't picking up anything to record at all. If I press record with the cassette playing, let it run for a short time, and stop, not only to do I not hear anything during the recording but the only audio line on my screen is a flat brown line which translates to dead silence when "played".

Does your Volume Mixer look like this

post-68-0-36968900-1458158615_thumb.png

And is this the type of cord you are using (yours may have the Yellow video lead -not used)

post-68-0-20643200-1458158740_thumb.png

I have tried the headphone ports on each machine. They work (give out sound) when the headphones are plugged in but not for the Roxio device.

My screen looks identical to the first two screen. I have selected the Roxio line in device and I have maxed out the recording volume inside Sound Editor as well as on the computer itself and in the mixer for the Roxio device. I am not getting any sound. It's not that I just can't hear it while it records, it's that is simply isn't picking up anything to record at all. If I press record with the cassette playing, let it run for a short time, and stop, not only to do I not hear anything during the recording but the only audio line on my screen is a flat brown line which translates to dead silence when "played".

Thanks, figured you were doing everything right but just wanted to make sure we weren't overlooking some little thing along the way ;)