bguy

Burned Dvds Freeze An Hour Into Playing

Question

I've been using Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus to transfer lengthy VHS recordings (generally from 1.5 to 2 hours in length) onto DVDs. I follow the recommended procedure of first saving the recording onto my hard drive and then burning it from the hard drive onto the DVD.

Anyway, the recording the VHS video to the hard drive part works fine. And if I play the recording directly on the hard drive, the entire recording is available and plays in full without issue. The problem is when I burn these recordings from the hard drive over to the DVDs.

They seem to transfer over successfully, and when I play the burned DVD, the video will play successfully for about a hour but then the screen freezes up and the DVD won't play any further. This happens regardless of if I try to play the burned DVDs in my DVD player or on my computer.

For the DVDs themselves, I'm using Verbatim 8X DVD+R DL dvds, so the DVDs should be able to hold more than a hour of video.

Thanks much for any recommendations for how I can solve this problem.

13 answers to this question

Yes the discs you are using should hold about 2 hours of a DVD Movie at HQ.

Does your burned DVD play on your PC without a glitch? - I am thinking that a symptom like that could be when the disc has to change from one side to the other in the Player it could be having trouble switching sides.

The other common issue is Quality. At the Export tab, make sure that the 'AutoFit' box is un-checked! This assures HQ and all Players do better with HQ and burned discs ;)

Check those things and let us know.

I agree with Jim, that the likely problem is where your DVD player is changing layers during playback. As he said, try playing the DVD on your PC, if that works, try a different DVD player, go to a friend's house if you don't have another one, and see if it will play properly in a different player. If so, then the issue is a combination of your DVD writer, the discs you're using, and your DVD player. You can try a different brand of DVD DL discs, to see if that helps. If not, you could split your program up into two, single layer discs. Less convenient, but they should play okay.

when I play the burned DVD, the video will play successfully for about a hour but then the screen freezes up and the DVD won't play any further.

Layer break problem Roxio's software has always handled it poorly!

Open Device Manager and post your DVD Burner / Burners ID exactly the way windows names them?

post-97-0-89075900-1459255715_thumb.jpg

I agree with Jim, that the likely problem is where your DVD player is changing layers during playback. As he said, try playing the DVD on your PC, if that works, try a different DVD player, go to a friend's house if you don't have another one, and see if it will play properly in a different player. If so, then the issue is a combination of your DVD writer, the discs you're using, and your DVD player. You can try a different brand of DVD DL discs, to see if that helps. If not, you could split your program up into two, single layer discs. Less convenient, but they should play okay.

Unfortunately, the same thing happens when I try to play the DVDs on a computer. They play fine for the first hour then freeze up completely. Is there a better quality DVD DL disc out there then Verbatim that might work better?

Not sure how to post the Device Manager screen shot but when I open the DVD/CD-Rom drives icon all that is within it is "MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8D1"

What about the other things mentioned? The one about the AutoFit and Dave's suggestion to try using the Span option with 2, 4.7 GB dvd's?

The discs you have are considered the top of the line.

Unfortunately, the same thing happens when I try to play the DVDs on a computer. They play fine for the first hour then freeze up completely. Is there a better quality DVD DL disc out there then Verbatim that might work better?

Not sure how to post the Device Manager screen shot but when I open the DVD/CD-Rom drives icon all that is within it is "MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8D1"

What windows operating system are you running?

Post the firmware # from the MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8D1 drive?

post-97-0-99861900-1459342486_thumb.jpg

Instructions for posting images are in the link below, in my signature.

What about the other things mentioned? The one about the AutoFit and Dave's suggestion to try using the Span option with 2, 4.7 GB dvd's?

The discs you have are considered the top of the line.

All the DVDs I recorded were done with the AutoFit box unchecked.

Haven't had the chance to try the 2, 4.7 GB dvds yet. (I don't have any 4.7 GB dvds in the house and won't have a chance to go buy some until the weekend.)

Operating system is Windows 8.

Thanks for the instructions on how to attach the files. Hopefully the attached picture is what you needed.

post-129769-0-78315100-1459388445_thumb.jpg

Did you buy the MATSUSHITA UJ8D1 DVD Ram drive or did it come with your PC?

Here is a list of firmware for your drive.

L.01

H.01

D.03

D.02

Four firmware updates have been issued for that drive your running since the first original 8.10 firmware.

Edited by cdanteek

Nothing really jumping out... I wish they had left the option to burn an ISO in there, but they did not :unsure: (gone a long time ago)

I don't have Image Burn, can that be used to copy a DVD Movie disc and burn another from that???

I don't have Image Burn, can that be used to copy a DVD Movie disc and burn another from that???

That's where I'm headed if bguy wants to try it.

You can add the mpeg file and imgburn will make it into a image file with layer break then ImgBurn will burn it. :)

Did you buy the MATSUSHITA UJ8D1 DVD Ram drive or did it come with your PC?

Here is a list of firmware for your drive.

L.01

H.01

D.03

D.02

Four firmware updates have been issued for that drive your running since the first original 8.10 firmware.

It came with the PC. Where would you go to get those updates?

It came with the PC. Where would you go to get those updates?

I would start with the PC manufacture and see what they have for firmware updates for that drive.

Warning about updating firmware if not done properly it can turn your drive into a useless paper weight read and follow instructions to the ' T '.