Jaykob_SMC

Screen Capture Is A Blank Blue Screen

Question

I'm trying to get the Roxio set up with some of my older consoles and it's just not working. I found most of the help guides focused on the newer consoles, which is great, but I want to be able to record from all my systems with this device.

The current focus is on my Sega Dreamcast. The system works fine and I get visual and audio on the television, through the Roxio. My PC picks up the audio from the console, but not the visuals, appearing as a simple blue screen. It's hooked up via component cables. I've tried multiple different laptops and software and nothing works. Does the Roxio even work with older consoles? I've found very little information to support that it does or does not. If that's the case then I'll just return the device and get a refund, no harm done. But if it will work, I'd appreciate any help you can offer me.

11 answers to this question

Let's start with the fact that the Roxio Game Capture for Consoles ONLY accepts Component input...

The Sega Dreamcast only has component output through a SCART connection... Not even sure your location would have that connector. If you did, you could see if you could locate a Scart to component (RCA) cord.

Other old consoles are going to have similar issue with composite outputs... I haven't tested this but I think you could find a VCR or BD Player that accepts composite INPUT and use its' pass through component output???

Let us know what you end up with -_-

I'm not particularly well versed in older technology, so I'm not entirely sure what SCART is. So I apologize for asking more questions, I just want to fully understand what it is I'm doing before I go out and do it. After looking up on SCART, I came up with cables that look like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART#/media/File:SCART_20050724_002.jpg

But my Dreamcast uses the old Red/Yellow/White RCA cables that do plug directly into the Roxio. The Roxio transmits the image to my television just fine, but when I connect the Roxio to my PC, I don't get the image. Would it help if I took a picture of my set up and posted it here?

Edited by Jaykob_SMC

I'm not particularly well versed in older technology, so I'm not entirely sure what SCART is. So I apologize for asking more questions, I just want to fully understand what it is I'm doing before I go out and do it. After looking up on SCART, I came up with cables that look like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART#/media/File:SCART_20050724_002.jpg

But my Dreamcast uses the old Red/Yellow/White RCA cables that do plug directly into the Roxio. The Roxio transmits the image to my television just fine, but when I connect the Roxio to my PC, I don't get the image. Would it help if I took a picture of my set up and posted it here?

That would be great, then we can see exactly what type of cords you are using. It could be all you need is a device that

takes a Composite signal Video(Y) and Audio (R&W) and converts it to Component (R/G/B (video) R&W (audio).

Edited by ogdens

That would be great, then we can see exactly what type of cords you are using. It could be all you need is a device that

takes a Composite signal Video(Y) and Audio (R&W) and converts it to Component (R/G/B (video) R&W (audio).

Okay. Well, I'm not at home right now so I'll post it tonight. Thanks for the help. For now, I can use this as an example.

http://www.gamemisfit.com/picsmanual_ib/091a46b2-906c-4b1a-a21b-3e084e560cce_1429215929_59.jpg

The image above is what my Dreamcast is using. That plugs into the Roxio.

http://www.dtvusaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2044&d=1444063832

Then a set of cables that look like the image above go from my Roxio to my television. With that setup, I get the Dreamcast running on my TV perfectly fine. Theoretically, that should mean it's working, but when I plug the Roxio into my laptop and open the capture software, it says 'No Signal' and the preview screen is just pure blue. I do however get the audio from the Dreamcast, coming through my speakers.

No, they don't plug directly into the Roxio unit. The Roxio unit requires the Red/Green/Blue video connectors for the Component signals. The yellow video signal you're feeding it is called a Composite signal. It will not work. The fact that the composite signal is fed through to your TV proves nothing in this case.

Your older games that have the yellow, composite video output cannot be used to feed the video input of the Roxio Game Capture unit (Standard or HD) without using something to convert the signal to the Red/Green/Blue Component signals.

Edited by d_deweywright

No, they don't plug directly into the Roxio unit. The Roxio unit requires the Red/Green/Blue video connectors for the Component signals. The yellow video signal you're feeding it is called a Composite signal. It will not work. The fact that the composite signal is fed through to your TV proves nothing in this case.

Your older games that have the yellow, composite video output cannot be used to feed the video input of the Roxio Game Capture unit (Standard or HD) without using something to convert the signal to the Red/Green/Blue Component signals.

So all I need is a device that will convert the composite signal into a component signal? Are there any specific products you would recommend to accomplish this?

Yes, that's "all" you need. No, I don't have a recommendation since I've never had to use one.

Alright. I'm having trouble finding a product that will convert composite to component. Would composite to HDMI work as well, because those kinds of converter boxes seem much easier to come by.

https://www.amazon.ca/Av2hdmi-Composite-Converter-Adapter-1080P/dp/B011988TUY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460059058&sr=8-2&keywords=av+hdmi

Maybe this one?

Edited by Jaykob_SMC

You posted in the Roxio Game Capture for consoles. If that's what you have, then your device doesn't have an HDMI input, in which case, no, that won't work.

If your device has an HDMI input, then you have the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro, in which case, that sort of converter could work.

You posted in the Roxio Game Capture for consoles. If that's what you have, then your device doesn't have an HDMI input, in which case, no, that won't work.

If your device has an HDMI input, then you have the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro, in which case, that sort of converter could work.

Yes, it does have an HDMI input. My mistake.