jackrayers

Recording Stops At 'gap' In Tape

Question

Essentially seems I am having a similar problem to others on the forum - when a tape with multiple 'scenes' on is imported, the video will hang at the end of the clip and the recording end. Of note that while the recording has technically ended and the video is either blank or noise, the audio will continue to function. I've used other software and the stopping problem persists. I was hoping there is some sort of work around to this other than an additional pass through device as mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

Computer used: MacBook Pro Early 2012

Input method: Composite Cables

VHS Player: Hitachi combined VHS/DVD

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

12 answers to this question

Essentially seems I am having a similar problem to others on the forum - when a tape with multiple 'scenes' on is imported, the video will hang at the end of the clip and the recording end. Of note that while the recording has technically ended and the video is either blank or noise, the audio will continue to function. I've used other software and the stopping problem persists. I was hoping there is some sort of work around to this other than an additional pass through device as mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

Computer used: MacBook Pro Early 2012

Input method: Composite Cables

VHS Player: Hitachi combined VHS/DVD

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Before someone over anxiously moves your post to Easy VHS to DVD for Mac explain what operating system your using IOS or Windows?

Thanks for that info!

The 'blank' or 'noise' has always been an issue and no real fix for it...

We have recommended trying a passthrough but that does not work in all cases either :wacko:

Passthrough involves using another device (player) that will accept Input from your VCR and give you Output that you can use with your Roxio USB Capture device... Sadly these are getting harder to find these days.

Try that if you can and let us know either way ;)

Do I have the same problem? I am recording with the VHS to DVD plus program. I use the record to PC mode. Sometimes, after 15 min or 18 min or 50 min, the image JAMS. The SOUND keeps playing for a while and then it stops.

I have to delete the video, rewind the tape and try again. Then it works for longer and then it JAMS again.

I think the USB Roxio hardware is freezing. I unplug and replug it and it continues to playback. Just restarting the VHS to DVD program doesn’t do it. It shows a BLACK screen with some thump sounds from the speaker (thump every second).

I am using Win 7 64 bit SP1. It is plugged to a USB 2.0 port. nVidia GTX 650 2 GB. Does any other hardware matter?

Yes, if your CPU and hard discs can;t keep up, then it is possible to get the problem. Do you have a lot of space on your hard drive and is it defragged frequently (if it is nt a Solid State Drive).

Is your CPU running at max for a long time? If it is a laptop, is it being cooled?

Edited by sknis

Yes, there is 100 GB free on 500 GB. It is a desktop. It is a normal hard disk. It is a Phenom II quad core 3.4 GHz. While recording, it uses less than 1 core (about 20%).

Just to clarify....... the tape plays fine when your hooked up directly to your TV (no blips,dropouts)

Edited by ogdens

The tapes aren't perfect so there are staticy that pops up sometimes in the middle of the scene. The thing is, I can rewind, replay and record and it passes through it just fine with the Roxio.

The tapes aren't perfect so there are staticy that pops up sometimes in the middle of the scene. The thing is, I can rewind, replay and record and it passes through it just fine with the Roxio.

Re read post #4, it gives a suggestion for a possible fix, but if rewinding works for you, go for it.

Hello people,

I tested with a bought movie (not recorded by me off the air) and it recorded the entire tape without stopping (the recording looks clean too). It is in SP mode of course. My recorded tapes are in EP mode to store 6 h on each tape.

I guess my tapes have some bleeps that causes problems for the roxio hardware.

Some tapes EP mode to store 8 hours on each tape!

Basically the quality is so poor the program struggles or can't handle it.