Question

How big and complex of videos should I expect VideoWave to handle? Am I pushing the limits of software and system? Am I doing something inefficiently?

I am using Roxio NXT 4 Pro VideoWave. My current project is very slow, at best. For example, splitting the video track takes 10 to 20 minutes to have effect. Or, VideoWave stops responding.

My current project is HD 1280x720, 22 minutes long, has sound on both native and music track, several short segments on two text tracks, a couple of transitions, and I am editing out perhaps a dozen short sections. Rendering with hardware. VideoWave updated today. The computer has Windows 10, Intel i5 1.80 GHz CPU, 16GB RAM, with 85GB available on the hard drive.

5 answers to this question

No size limit for a project, program footprint is on the order 500 MB. Keep in mind a Blue-Ray can be 25 to 50 GB and no PC has that much RAM...

So when you load one you are looking at a 'window' of the file. The rest is held on your HDD. as you scroll to the edge of the window, it places the other end into RAM and loads more in from RAM to maintain the window.

That said, you are below the minimum specs needed to run the program. 2.0 Ghz is the minimum and the results are going to me the painfully slow performance not to mention the Render times.

Some things will help. Inside VideoWave, go to Tools - Options and set it to Software Render. This should speed things along. With all the HDD use, make sure you have plenty of Free Space and that it is defragged even when Widows says it does not need it.

Give those things a try and let us know ;)

Chris, This is a personal opinion based on past experiences. Your computer is underpowered to run high definition videos. in the program. With the lack of details you posted it is hard to make a intelligent suggestion so I'll give you some rules of thumb.

First, if you would post your Windows dxdiag.exe evaluation of your computer, we can get more information easier. Follow these directions and post the text file from the evaluation. Follow these instructions carefully. It will tell us if your video card drivers are up to date and if there are any issues with your computer..

When was the last time you did a complete maintenance on your computer get rid of junk files, programs you no longer use, trial programs? If your hard drive is NOT a solid state drive, the last time you defragged it? In Video Wave, go to the tools and get rid of the proxy files.

Make sure nothing else is running when you are doing the editing - disconnect from the Internet, turn OFF your antivirus, do't do e-mail, games or anything else..

What format is the original video and what do you intend to do with the edited video - output high or standard definition, burn to DVD/BluRay/Thumbdrive? That will determine what format you will be using for the output.

You need plenty of horse power when working with video otherwise it is painfully slow or errors and doesn't work at all.

Perhaps a visual will help?

Your PC CPU outlined in red compared to ten most common CPU's.

Higher results represent better performance

Intel Core i5-3337U @ 1.80GHz

Average CPU Mark Description: Socket: BGA1023
Clockspeed: 1.8 GHz
Turbo Speed: 2.7 GHz
No of Cores: 2 (2 logical cores per physical)
Max TDP: 17 W

Other names: Intel® Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz
CPU First Seen on Charts: Q1 2013

post-97-0-25603100-1461245147_thumb.jpg

Below is my i7 3.06 quad core desktop compared to your i5 1.80 two core.

post-97-0-40541600-1461245660_thumb.jpg

I am running 3.4 GHz with same problems Chris1982. Super slow and usually hangs or crashes in both VideoWave and Copy & Convert. Takes about 2 hours to convert a 10 minute video. I've never made it through VideoWave successfully. The preview window hangs and only displays a still image every 40 seconds or so. Makes it hard to edit when you can't preview. So far it seems like a waste of money, but mostly a waste of time.

I am running 3.4 GHz with same problems Chris1982. Super slow and usually hangs or crashes in both VideoWave and Copy & Convert. Takes about 2 hours to convert a 10 minute video. I've never made it through VideoWave successfully. The preview window hangs and only displays a still image every 40 seconds or so. Makes it hard to edit when you can't preview. So far it seems like a waste of money, but mostly a waste of time.

This is a one year old post so adding to it is probably not a good idea. There is no information that is useful for us to help you. Please start a new thread in the section for your version of Creator (this one is for Creator NXT 4). In your new thread, please post the text file from the DXDIAG.EXe of your computer. Post the text file and not the individual lines of the text file. Look here (link). Note that there is no personal information in that file other than what you call your computer. Also note that at the end of the text file (unless you are using an earlier version of Windows there will be a list of error messages. If you are using an earlier version of Windows, there are other ways of getting that information.