Question

Why is it that when I copy the contents of a DVD to my harddrive and then import the .VOB files into VideoWave I don't get any sound? But if I convert everything into one .MP4 file, then I do get sound. Anyone else experience this problem?

29 answers to this question

AC3 audio in the VOB that is converted when you convert to mp4...

Should be an error message when you try the VOB's

No, I don't get any error message at all. It just plays with no sound. I figure there is probably a little degradation when I do the conversion to MP4 so it would be better if I could work on the .VOB files directly. So, you're saying there's nothing I can do about that?

Really need some more details to what you are doing and how... 3 of us tried it and all went well :huh:

One thing that makes silent DVD's is if LCPM is selected in the burning process. But you indicated it was in VideoWave when you noticed it...

I go into VideoWave and start a new project. As I'm sure you know, NXT3 is very good at reading a DVD (VIDEO_TS folder) with several .IFO and .VOB files and knowing that it's all one movie. It doesn't really matter which file you select. You just choose one and click on "Open". It brings up a dialog box that shows "Movie 1" and I click Okay and it adds the movie to the project. But the movie has no sound.

Edited by Amy Shatzen

You have definitely Stumped the Chump :lol:

Curious, if you make a copy of VTS_01_1.VOB and then rename that to VTS_01_1.MPG will that work in VideoWave?

Also, if you add them directly from the original DVD, is the audio still missing?

If these are commercial DVD's (copy illegal) then that could be an issue...

Also, like details on how you are getting these from disc onto your PC?

Amy,

I don't think it matters that much how you got your Video_TS folder onto the hard drive, as long as you copied everything in the folder.

I just tried with a full dozen commercial DVDs, all using AC3 audio, and all of them gave me sound in the preview mode of Videowave.

You haven't said specifically that you couldn't get sound in a Videowave preview, can you confirm that please?

To isolate whether you have a faulty program or a "special" DVD, can you tell me if you have this problem with any DVD, or just one particular one?

If the same thing happens with any DVD we'll have to look at your installation and system. If it's only one DVD I'll point you to a simple tool to check that DVD.

Regards,

Brendon

Sorry, I disappeared there for a while. No, I can't get sound in a Videowave preview.

The DVDs I'm trying to import are all ones that I made from a machine that converts VHS tapes to DVDs. And, yes, I have this problem with ALL of them and I've tried two different VHS-to-DVD machines and I have the same problem with both. I wish I could try this with a factory-made DVD that isn't copy-protected, but I don't think I own any.

Does the DVD play correctly when using Windows Media Player or a software player like VLC?

Can you play any of the vob's outside NXT 3 (with WMP or VLC)?

How are you converting the vob to mp4?

The DVDs I'm trying to import are all ones that I made from a machine that converts VHS tapes to DVDs.

Post the model number of that machine or check your owners manual and tell us the DVD output settings it will make?

Does the DVD play correctly when using Windows Media Player or a software player like VLC?

Can you play any of the vob's outside NXT 3 (with WMP or VLC)?

How are you converting the vob to mp4?

Yes, the DVD plays fine in Windows Media Player.

Yes, I can play the VOBs just fine with WMP.

I'm using one of those little "ripper" programs to convert the DVD files to an mp4. There's a million of them out there, but the one I happened to choose is called DVDFab9.

Post the model number of that machine or check your owners manual and tell us the DVD output settings it will make?

The two machines I've used are:

Sony RDR-VX530

Toshiba DVR620KU

I looked at the owners manual of the Toshiba, and I'm not readily seeing DVD output settings.

Are the files on the DVDs created from each of the two VHS-to-DVD machines the same?

What settings are you using when you create the DVD from the VHS tape?

Are the files on the DVDs created from each of the two VHS-to-DVD machines the same?

What settings are you using when you create the DVD from the VHS tape?

I've never tried converting the same VHS tape twice - once on each machine. But I'm not sure why you're asking since neither machine is producing DVDs that will let me hear sound in VideoWave. The only setting I have a choice of is for speed. I use the HQ setting which is the highest quality and only allows 1 hour of tape to fit on a DVD.

What setting are you recording in DVD (VR Mode) or DVD (Video mode) ?

A 'VR' format will have a 'VR' folder in addition to the VIDEO_TS folder. It can also show as a DVD_RTAV folder.

Check your DVD Recorder manuals to see if it has a Finalize command. You want to finalize you DVD's when you are ready to eject them.

No, there isn't any "VR" folder, nor is there a DVD_RTAV folder. Yes, I always finalize the DVDs. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to copy the files to my computer at all.

No, there isn't any "VR" folder, nor is there a DVD_RTAV folder. Yes, I always finalize the DVDs. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to copy the files to my computer at all.

That (finalize) is what removes those folders ;)

Did you try the rename as I suggested in Post #6?

What happens if you just put in the DVD and import into VideoWave directly from the disc?

Just so you know, there may not be a solution other than the one you have found :huh:

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Did you try the rename as I suggested in Post #6?

Curious, if you make a copy of VTS_01_1.VOB and then rename that to VTS_01_1.MPG will that work in VideoWave?

Remember if you want to change file extension names?

You have to open that folder, go to tools, folder options, then uncheck Hide Extensions For Known File Types.

So you get a VTS_01_1.MPG instead of a VTS_01_1.VOB.MPG!

post-97-0-59267400-1464701173_thumb.jpg

Edited by cdanteek

Also, if you add them directly from the original DVD, is the audio still missing?

Oh, sorry I never replied to this. If I change a file from .VOB to .MPG, I have the exact same issue. The picture is fine, but there's no sound.

And if I add them directly from the original DVD, the audio is still missing.

Yes, I realize there may be no solution, but I thought it odd no one else is having this problem. It didn't occur to me that it could be an issue with my conversion machines, but that does sort of make sense. And I guess not a lot of people still have these machines.

Okay, my husband just handed me someone else's bootleg DVD. I have no idea how this person made their DVD. But I imported it to VideoWave and this time the problem was that the video and audio were waaaaay out of sync. So, again, I converted it to an mp4 and it was fine.

I'm out of town for a few days, so would someone take her through the Revo and clean install?

Got to hand it to you Amy, you have really been a good sport about this!

Hi Jim, are you back? I would be open to the Revo and clean install, if you have instructions.

So, my husband has been bugging me for years to stop using the VHS to DVD conversion machines and just hook up a VHS machine directly up to my computer. I was never motivated enough to figure out how to do this. But now I have an email from Roxio advertising their "Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus" program which includes all the cables you need. Has anyone out there ever tried this product?

Hi Jim, are you back? I would be open to the Revo and clean install, if you have instructions.

So, my husband has been bugging me for years to stop using the VHS to DVD conversion machines and just hook up a VHS machine directly up to my computer. I was never motivated enough to figure out how to do this. But now I have an email from Roxio advertising their "Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus" program which includes all the cables you need. Has anyone out there ever tried this product?

That is a great program Amy. I have used it many times to change all of my VHS tapes and get them on a DVD.

As long as you have the program installed with the proper drivers and have the proper USB device for the program

it works fine.