Question

Have a new laptop with Windows 10 which is also on old laptop

I find that I now have to pay for Window DVD Player

Not a huge amount but it's the principle

So, can anyone recommend a free SAFE download which plays Roxio produced discs

Regards

UK Mick

9 answers to this question

The VLC Player from thier site: (Brendon's link was better than mine so use that one)

Standard version is free and it plays almost everything!

Edited by Jim_Hardin
  • Like 1

Do I understand correctly that you have a laptop with a hardware DVD player installed, and you want free software to play DVDs on it?

I use the free VLC player (available on this link) to play my DVDs and video files. It's very versatile, and that link is straight to the official VideoLAN site so you don't have to avoid the malware which often comes with free software. I've seen many of the gurus recommend it.

Rergards,

Brendon

• Like 1

Thanks Brendon & Jim. Good to see you are both still around for us novices.

I had thought about VLC but needed re-assurance that it was safe.

Anyway, installed it easily and it runs nicely with commercial DVDs and SOME of my Roxio productions.

It seems that the ones it doesn't play are where I have produced them in AVCHD.

Wondering if VLC doesn't play these or if its my hardware which is a SLIMTYPE DVD A DA8A6SH that is the problem

Tried to find more info without success so relying on your expertise yet again

Regards from sunny (!) London

Below are listed the formats you can play with vlc (if I've missed any, feel free to add it :-)

File Extension Contains .a52 A52 .aac AAC .aiff AIFF .amr AMR Annodex .asf ASF .au AU .avi AVI .dts DTS .dump Demuxdump .dvr-ms DVR-MS .flac FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) .nsf, .nsfe, .gbs, .vgm, .vgz, .spc, .gym gme .mkv, .mka, .mks Matroska .mpc Musepack .mpg, .mpeg, .vob MPEG-PS .mov MOV .flv flash Video .m4a, .m4b, .m4p MPEG-4 Audio .mp4 MPEG-4 .nsv NSV .ogm OGM .ogg Ogg .pva PVA .rm, .ram, .ra RealMedia SDP (streaming only) .ts, .mts, .m2ts MPEG2-TS .wav WAV .wmv Windows Media Video

Thanks Brendon & Jim. Good to see you are both still around for us novices.

I had thought about VLC but needed re-assurance that it was safe.

Anyway, installed it easily and it runs nicely with commercial DVDs and SOME of my Roxio productions.

It seems that the ones it doesn't play are where I have produced them in AVCHD.

Wondering if VLC doesn't play these or if its my hardware which is a SLIMTYPE DVD A DA8A6SH that is the problem

Tried to find more info without success so relying on your expertise yet again

Regards from sunny (!) London

What issues are you having with the ones that do not play? There is a difference between 'don't play' and no audio, or distorted video, etc. -_-

Look at the disc in the BDMV Folder. In the case of an AVCHD, there should only be 4, sub-folders in there:

BACKUP

CLIPINF

PLAYLIST

STREAM

Jim

Thanks again for your sound advice

When I said it doesn't play I mean you get nothing, other than error message "your input can't be opened"

However followed your instructions re BDMV Folder and by selecting STREAM was able to play my "Alaska highlights" in all its glory !

So far so good but is there away to create a short cut to enable AUTO PLAY ?

Grateful as ever

Mick