Sign in to follow this  
XL5

Project Plays Perfectly When Burned To Dual Layer Dvd, But Not When Burned To Blu-Ray

Question

Project plays perfectly when burned to dual layer DVD, but not when burned to Blu-ray.

Recently, everyone wants their projects done on M-DISC. As you may know, there's no such thing as a dual layer M-DISC.

I am starting out with a Video TS folder. When I put my project on a dual layer DVD everything works perfectly. But I need to be able to use M-DISC. So, I tried to put the project on a M-DISC Blu-ray. When I do this, the Blu-ray player thinks that my video is a data disc. I can look at this data on the Blu-ray player. There, I can see some of the individual files containing the video, but the disc does not play properly as it does when burned to a dual layer DVD.

I'm using Toast 12 with Mac OS 10.9.5. The reason I am using this older version of the Mac OS is because we also use iMovie HD 06. I'm having good success with Toast 12 otherwise.

Suggestions appreciated.

Edited by XL5

3 answers to this question

Does this M-DISC blu-ray disc have a DVD-Video file structure (VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB) or a Blu-ray file structure (BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts)?

Just checking, as you do not explicitly mention in your post if you re-authored as Blu-ray, or not.

• Like 1

Does this M-DISC blu-ray disc have a DVD-Video file structure (VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB) or a Blu-ray file structure (BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts)?

Just checking, as you do not explicitly mention in your post if you re-authored as Blu-ray, or not.

Thank you for helping! Great question. I must confess, I was unaware of this difference. As you suspected, my files are all VIDEO_TS/VTS. I have no BDMV/STREAM.........

Any way I can "easily" fix this? I recently purchased Toast 14, but I have not installed it yet. I don't know if the newer version would help me accomplish my goals.

I think your player expects a Blu-ray file structure when detecting Blu-ray media. I suppose that could be why the player sees it as a data disc, if the file structure is different from what is expected. That's my guess, anyway.

The fix would be to convert the clips from this DVD to Blu-ray, or re-do the project as Blu-ray from the source file(s).

While there is some overlap in DVD specification and Blu-ray specification (SD resolution, MPEG-2 video, and DD audio are valid for both), I'm not sure if Toast can/will take advantage of that, in keeping some content as-is.

I expect you'll have to re-create the menu for the new authoring.