PeterMoffat

Is Live Video Ready To Be Streamed, Or Does It Need To Be Encoded?

Question

I want to live stream video from a STB over my network. I currently capture from the STB from component into an easycap, and then stream to a local rtmp server on my home server with OBS.

My new STB has HDMI out, and I'd like to use that for better video quality.

From what I've read, the Roxio software can life stream tommy rtmp server, which is fine, but, will the video need to be re-encoded by the PC doing the capturing, or can it just stream the video received from the Roxio over USB?

The capture PC is a Microserver n54l, running a dual core AMD 2.2GHz, so not great for encoding, hence this solution..

7 answers to this question

Since there is not any other choice for anyone streaming, USB it is ;)

But look through some of the pinned posts here so you have a better understanding of how it is done. -_-

I'm not sure I understand? Can the encoded video from the Roxio be passed through with the Roxio software to a streaming service without having to be re-encoded?

As I understand it, OBS is preferred for streaming with the GameCAP.

I don't stream so I am only going on what has been written here by other users -_-

Just some feedback, I don't think it does. If I set the Roxio to output mp2tsmrather than MP4, cpu usage is a lot lower as displayed in OBS studio. Still does what I need it to though, and my crappy gt730 can do NVENC, so it all good.

MP4 does not work!

It actually captures in M2TS first then converts it later :huh:

If capture is in excess of one hour it will crash during conversion and you lose everything! So it is best to just not use it.