Bobbitz44

Trying To Run Ecdc 5 In Windows 7

I took a screenshot of all my themes renamed to be jpegs. I'm not sure how to show it or even I have to. I tried removing everything, then was up all night trying to get something back. Every time I touch it, I lose more functionality. Sooo, I'm just gonna wait until Brendon tells me e-zat-ly what to do. I'm dangerous on this thing, for sure. Now, I want to try and attach this picture. Hmmm. Holy hell, all I did was a copy and paste. Well that was easy. As you can see, I no longer have any choices. Will do one more to show the label creator MIA. I don't know if this helps . . . But I sure need it. Will wait for directions from someone who takes pity on this old lady.

post-130213-0-58286600-1466663403_thumb.gif

Hello. This is the place where questions on Easy CD Creator 5 [ECDC5] should be posted, so this is where your post ended up, and here we are.

I'll try to answer all the questions you've asked here and in the Private Message system but they're somewhat scattered so if I miss something you still need to know, please hit the "Reply" button here and ask again.

The main thing you need to know first off, is that the disc-burning parts of Easy CD Creator 5 won't work under Windows 7.

The reason for this is that vital drivers for the standard and packet-writing modes of burning CDs are totally incompatible with Windows 7.

I have tried all sorts of sneaky tricks, stealth, and even brute force, but I haven't been able to get around that one even when running in Windows 7's "XP compatibility mode". :(

If you have a dual-boot hard drive with XP and Windows 7, it might be possible to run ECDC 5 on the XP partition. However I've never had such a hard drive, so I don't know. If you try installing it on such a drive, please let me know how you get on.

However you're trying it, you will need your Installer CD to install the suite under XP. To get it all working properly the installer needs to put all sorts of values and locations into the Windows Registry, and to install numerous drivers and DLLs into Windows. With the exception of the Label Maker, you can't just copy the installed software from a machine where it is installed onto a new drive and hope it will run. You have to install it with the Roxio installer CD.

About that one exception, the Label Maker. - You can copy the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\Label Creator from another drive, along with its two sub-folders Page Files and Style Files, and it will "mostly" run. It will no longer be integrated with the ECDC suite because that is not working, but you can get some limited use out of your precious saved label files.

I think that's as far as we can go tonight. If you are getting a dual-boot setup with XP and Windows 7 you should try installing ECDC 5 from your CD onto the XP partition, and tell me how it goes. If it installs and runs I can help you further with updating it, and with transferring your saved files over.

Regards,

Brendon

Does anyone keep the updates for Roxio 5 Basic since the ones online no longer work? It worked for years--like 15--and then it just stopped about two weeks ago. I've messed with it so much now that I no longer have any functionality--except burning a CD. No more labels, which is what made this program so wonderful. I truly feel as if I'm in mourning. I've lost a computer "pal." :angry2:

By the way, is there anyone in here who lives in or near Portland, Oregon? I could sure use your help. I can't seem to be able to get a response to questions I put in the search for this forum. I just don't know how to use it properly. Hey, I've made it to 72 in good health so I can't be a complete waste of time! Ignorance is the problem . . . not stupidity. I'll take any advice I can get for either getting back the program on XP or also how to use this site.

Thanks to Brandon and all . . .

Bobbie

It is Brendon and he gave you the options available!

I would re-read Brendon's post # 2 and choose a option if you don't understand them ask for clarification.

ecdc_v5.3.5.10_basic_enu.exe

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/dXQKS2GPt2QMGK8RxMlN3jfbqmLe1EpzqyUdUDxfiBy?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

driveup5.3.5v.exe

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Hrsf0hZiCEDGj1xEfZq4nf2pAqnDmD511VIAPRbbGB?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Brendon:

I thought the REPLY button would be on YOUR post. Again, I apologize but I have not navigated a forum and, like anything new, there is a learning curve. I sent you yet another personal message to tell you about the old ECDC5 Plantinum I found in the program files of what used to be the 98 part in a 98/XP partitioned hard drive. I had it done that way to continue using the program in 98. When it started working in XP (and why I don't know), a friend (deceased) removed the dual boot The old program requires a key, which I certainly don't have. However, I received a . . . hard copy of Platinum today in the mail. I included a picture of the folder contents of the old Platinum folder in my message. I'm on another computer, so I can't reinsert the screen capture (if that's what it's called). It's like so many of these electronic things have multiple names, like flash drives, thumb, etc.

This stuff is not for the faint of heart. As I said, was up most of the night trying to read everything (more than once) and make sense of what happened and how to proceed.

Will wait for The Guru to make a single keystroke. (Truly, I am staying out of the room with the XP computer so as not to muck about with it anymore.)

Oh, I just saw the "attach files" deal below. I will try to use that to include any pictures that might be helpful in the future.

My best to you,

Bobbie

Installed Platinum as a test on my husband's laptop. Yay team for being able to see full functionality again. However, as Brendon has stated, the program does not recognize the driver for CD ROM drive. The drive is Toshiba MK8034GSX.

Remember the song, "Workin' My Way Back To You, Babe"? That's my theme song of the day.

This forum and especially my Guardian Angel, Brendon, so rule!!!

Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

First thing, forget ECDC 5 Basic. It's a cut-down version, and if you install it you'll have to clean it out again. These versions don't mix.

Next thing is to work out which version number of Platinum you have, and update it to the latest version.

Last thing is to patch it or otherwise persuade it to recognize your Toshiba. (This old software had to be told what your drive was before it would write to it.)

Version number:

-Up at the top left corner of the Project Selector screen is a tiny icon representing a printed sheet.

post-208-0-22111900-1466910081_thumb.jpg

-Left-click it with your mouse, and you'll see three options. Click the "About" option

-You'll see an "About" box like this one

post-208-0-43921500-1466910149_thumb.jpg

Mine is version 5.3.1.154 What's yours?

Regards,

Brendon

I'm so sorry. I'm like a blind person in a strange new city: I have no idea when I type this where it will appear.

My version is 5.0 (306). I neither know how to update nor patch it. I need more specifics. The version is as I typed it, with the parens. Again, I apologize for the annoyance.

Bobbie

I am new to any forum. I am 72 and am trying to learn but I can't find anything. Each search returns NO RESULTS. Could you direct me to two things: first, the actual file that I can use to update ECDC 5 Platinum 5.0 (306) and something Brendon referred to as a patch so that the program will write to my CD Rom drive. I wish I weren't so inexperienced at this. Really frustrating for me and anyone who has to put up with me. I feel like an idiot . . . but it's just lack of experience, I hope! Poor Brendon has lost his patience with me. I don't even understand how to organize my questions. They're "all over the place" according to him. But I just am blind to this gigantic universe. Again, so sorry.

Bobbie,

I think we must have been writing at the same time so our messages crossed over. Please read the private message I sent to you a few minutes before you posted this message, and then relax until I finish the tests and get back to you here tomorrow.

Thanks,

Brendon

Hi Bobbie (and others reading this),

Sorry for delays, but it has been a while since I worked with ECDC 5 so I've been away test-reinstalling it under Windows XP, and updating it to make it recognize more modern drives.

Here's what to do:

[1] Install your early version of Easy CD Creator 5, in Bobbie's case it's 5.0, but installers are also available for 5.02, 5.1, and 5.3.

Ignore the XP incompatibility warning, and any warning that "No supported drives" were found.

Do a Custom install and don't install Take 2. Direct CD can be left out too, unless you really need it and know its downsides.

Don't reboot when the install is done.

[2] Update to version 5.3.5.10 with the updater you can download from this Roxio link. [double-click the underlined blue writing to download] The file is called ecdc_v5.3.5.10_plt_enu.exe and is around 18.3 MB. Don't reboot when the install is done.

[3] Apply the drive updater 5.3.5v from this link. Now you should reboot your machine to finish installing the software.

Once that is all done your ECDC should show as version 5.3.5.10v and it should recognize your CD burner drive(s). Mine did.

Best regards,

Brendon