OursFermvall

Installing Nxt4 On Windows 10 Destroys Boot Path

Question

I have tried to install NXT4 twice on a machine with Windows 10 Professional. Each time the boot failed (Missing Boot Path) after the requested reboot. The first time I had to reload an Acronis backup when all other ways to recover failed. The second time a system restore did fix things somewhat: It did manage to boot, and one extra re-boot was required to finish the NXT2 uninstall (The restore had restored this SW). What to do? Ask for a refund? Clearly this software will not install properly.

7 answers to this question

Never heard of that problem installing NXT4!

Is your W-10 a dirty install on top of W-7 or W-8 upgrade?

If so that is probably your problem.

Well since NXT4 is the ONLY one that is Win10 certified what is surprising?

I did a dirty install too as well as many others without any issue initial issues. Again the one you cited as well as my own experience indicate it is something between a dirty install AND Win10 updates... - if it were as you think, Everyone would be having it.

Sadly, don't count on hearing from Roxio Support or if you do it will just be a canned response :( (really downhill since Corel bought them)

If you want to try a 'clean' install of NXT4, let us know and we will supply specifics. Keep in mind you only get 10 installs of it.

• Like 1

Yes, a clean install of NXT4 would be nice. As you wrote, don't expect too much from Support, Support have so far responded:

Corel Support Response 1.
Jun 29, 14:16 EDT

Lars Fermvall,

Thank you for contacting Corel Technical Support.

My name is George and I have been assigned to your ticket.
I understand that you're having problems with our program.
May I know what is the main problem? I'm sorry for the confusion.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

Regards,
George

Corel Technical Support Services

I then repeated the description with some more details about hardware and OS.

Corel Support Response 1.
Jun 30, 10:20 EDT

Lars Fermvall,

I'm sorry for that, may I know what error messages did you encounter?
Please try to create a new user administrator account on your computer and try to install it there.

Regards,
George

My initial request:
I have tried to install NXT4 twice on a machine with Windows 10 Professional. Each time the boot failed
(Missing Boot Path) after the requested reboot. The first time I had to reload an Acronis backup when
all other ways to recover failed. The second time a system restore did fix things somewhat: It did manage to boot,
and one extra re-boot was required to finish the NXT2 uninstall (The restore had restored this SW).

A final update:

So, doing a clean install is not a path I wish to go down, since it should not be required for any decent software. Below is my latest correspondence with "Support".

FROM SUPPORT:
Lars Fermvall,
Regarding your error, please contact your computer manufacturer because it's a system issue of your computer.
Regards,
George

MY REPLY:
Dear George,

So, let me get this right:

After I install NXT4 on my computer, and only then, does the boot path reference get destroyed and therefore I should contact Dell and ask them to repair my computer?

I note that others have come across this issue as well:
http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/121895-nxt4-stopped-my-win-10-x64-from-booting/

I will not contact Dell (since they will just send me back to the supplier of the software), but I will instead request a refund for my NXT4 purchase and find another product that is usable.

Regards,
Lars Fermvall

Ah like the good old days of computing... Call the software people and they send you to the hardware people who in turn refer you to the software people :huh:

I do not understand your reluctance to a clean install??? All we are talking about is a thorough removal of the existing Roxio programs (revo) - reboot - turn off AV - reboot - install NXT4 (of course you set a restore point before you start all of this)

As I mentioned in the other Topic you cite, I have had this happen but it was indeed my Dell that was at fault.

We, would like to explore this issue with you to see if we can reach a solution.