• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 katvideos

katvideos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:24 PM

I used to use Roxio DVDit and the menu button mapping was so much easier to manually change from default than it is in creator unless I am missing something on the layout process for menus. All I want to do is manually layout the order, (the one I want that is most user friendly instead of the current default of random selection when using a remote control from a DVD player). As it stands now the randomness of the DVD menu buttons make it very difficult for some buttons to be selected via a remote. The problem here is sometimes the user can't move off of the first menu to the submenu or back from the submenu if they are lucky enough to be able to select the next button on the previous menu. Please help! The old product called this process menu button mapping and that is what I need help with.

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:07 PM

Sorry but I don't understand what you are talking about. What do you mean by "current default of random selection when using a remote control from a DVD player". I have never experienced any "randomness of the DVD menu buttons" so you will have to explain exactly what you are talking about.

Perhaps if you were to explain the menu you are trying to set up, we might be able to help.

DVDit is of course no longer in existence or supported.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:20 AM

The Menu Buttons work in the Order they are Added...

Never had any luck changing them so it just requires better pre-planning or deleting back to the one before and adding in the order you want ;)

Would be nice but it has never been in there and most likely never will :(

#4 katvideos

katvideos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

Random means there is no rhyme or reason to the order. For instance you would assume when you push the down arrow it would advance downward to the second option but it doesn't it goes sideways instead. Illogical!,,,,,,,to say the least. Oh and by the way, yes I have the lower linked button as the second button in the diagram portion of the program. In other words, the second chapter and subsequent three are directly below the first as they were placed and linked sequentically. Why the down arrow selection directs the users to the 5th chapter I don't know. That's the radomness, Needless to say I have had next creator three years and have never been able to figure this issue out. While DVDit isn't supported anymore in my opinion it was a much better product for creating menus and user friendly buttons.

#5 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,304 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:17 AM

Order of selection

1        2      3

4        5      6

If you are using a template with 6 videos.   If you try to add more, and try to keep them on the same page,  then all bets are off.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#6 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:37 AM

Random means there is no rhyme or reason to the order. For instance you would assume when you push the down arrow it would advance downward to the second option but it doesn't it goes sideways instead. Illogical!,,,,,,,to say the least. Oh and by the way, yes I have the lower linked button as the second button in the diagram portion of the program. In other words, the second chapter and subsequent three are directly below the first as they were placed and linked sequentically. Why the down arrow selection directs the users to the 5th chapter I don't know. That's the radomness, Needless to say I have had next creator three years and have never been able to figure this issue out. While DVDit isn't supported anymore in my opinion it was a much better product for creating menus and user friendly buttons.

Have looked at some commercial DVDs? They have the same your so-called "randomness"

Why don't you give an example of exactly what you want and what your are doing. What menu style do you want or are you using. At the moment your description is very vague.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#7 katvideos

katvideos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:13 PM

Order of selection

1        2      3
4        5      6

If you are using a template with 6 videos.   If you try to add more, and try to keep them on the same page,  then all bets are off.

So what you are saying here is each menu is limited to six linked bottoms to the movie? I would assume if this is correct then the next move would be to add a sub menu for each additional combination or not more than six linked buttons per sub menu?

Bottom line here it sounds like the more you limit the unlinked/linked buttons per menu the better off you are. Is that the test of this programs capabilities of menu mapping?

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:20 PM

I tested this on 2 version of Creator and it is not even as I suspected it to be :huh:

My clips are labeled button (1) through button (6) and are added in order so that the Menus as well as the Movies are 1 through 6.

Attached File  menu buttons.jpg   130.7KB   0 downloads

But when I run the preview it starts with (1) and a Down arrow takes it to, (2), (6) and (4)... Note that (3) & (5) are never reached :wacko:

Starting a (1) and using the Right Arrow then (4), (5) & (6) are highlighted but (2) & (3) are never reached.

Tried this on Creator 2012 as well as NXT3 and burned a disc and it behaved the same way in my Player.

Stacked Vertical they behave a little better with the Down Arrow but after reaching (6) it becomes erratic again...

Stacked Horizontally they work right the Left/Right Arrows but not the Up/Down.

But I have to agree with katvideo, this is not what one would expect for a product of this price -_-

#9 katvideos

katvideos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:38 PM

I tested this on 2 version of Creator and it is not even as I suspected it to be :huh:

My clips are labeled button (1) through button (6) and are added in order so that the Menus as well as the Movies are 1 through 6.

attachicon.gifmenu buttons.jpg

But when I run the preview it starts with (1) and a Down arrow takes it to, (2), (6) and (4)... Note that (3) & (5) are never reached :wacko:

Starting a (1) and using the Right Arrow then (4), (5) & (6) are highlighted but (2) & (3) are never reached.

Tried this on Creator 2012 as well as NXT3 and burned a disc and it behaved the same way in my Player.

Stacked Vertical they behave a little better with the Down Arrow but after reaching (6) it becomes erratic again...

Stacked Horizontally they work right the Left/Right Arrows but not the Up/Down.

But I have to agree with katvideo, this is not what one would expect for a product of this price -_-

Thank you Jim! I feel vindicated. It always amazes me how "improved versions" don't always add up to the expectations and performance of older versions of the product lines.

In the end I guess what I have from Roxio is a product that once you figure out your own best practices you had better hope the product isn't "improved" upon.

I guess you have to take the path of "if at least my clients can get to each chapter it doesn't matter how many steps they have to take before they can see all the chapters." It just makes us small business guys look like we don't know what we are doing when in fact it seems to be the products we purchase for a great deal of cash in an effort to provide the professional look of a larger production house. We are limited to our product and our budgets!

Thanks again for your efforts.
Ken

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:23 AM

At one time I used to keep a competing product around just to do menus and burn :huh:

I did all my editing and special effects in Roxio and Exported the project into clips that I loaded into the other program. There I could set the menus the way I needed to. But I only did this to create a 'Play All' button... If I didn't need that button, all was done in Roxio!

The 'Play All' works fine in Roxio for DVD projects but does not work in BD projects...

Corel (owns Roxio) also offers some excellent video software. Download a trial and see if it would suit your one stop shopping needs ;)

[soapbox on] I normally keep my menus VERY simple [/soapbox]... People remember the content not the menu -_-

Edited by Jim_Hardin, 15 July 2016 - 03:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users