Smokytoo

Burning Dvd With Nxt 3, On Playback Disc Flickers Especially On Pan & Zoom Sideways

Question

NTX 3: After burning a DVD, while watching the DVD I just made, it flickers when using Pan & Zoom. The flicker is more noticeable on left and right Pan and zoom

50 answers to this question

Next question, what are you bringing in to MyDVD, the Videowave project, or a rendered video that you've previously output from Videowave?

In either case, what happens if, while you're in Videowave, you render your project to an MPEG file, and then play that file in VLC? How do the pan/zoom/transitions look?

. I reduce the size of all pics to 640 X 360.

You lost a considerable amount of quality!

A DVD Video disc is 720 x 480 and will reduce to that during rendering.

If your going to reduce your image size don't go below 720 x 480 for a A DVD Video disc.

A videowave project, i never seen an option for and MPEG file. Also never seen an option to only save/burn to an ISO file either.

You can't create a .ISO project from Videowave. You can only save your project, as a .dmsm file. However, you can OUTPUT your project (not save) to any of many video formats. I don't have Videowave here, but on the top menu bar, you'll see an icon that looks like a movie reel. If you hover your mouse over that, it'll say, "Output". Click on that icon. That will bring up a dialog box where you can select the output type for your video file, and let you name it, and select the output folder for it. Do that, it'll take awhile to render. I'd select the option for, "MPEG DVD High Quality." (I'm paraphrasing here since I don't have it available to open up, but you should find the one I'm thinking of.) Then play that video file in VLC and let us know how it looks.

I found it, saved as MPEG Pal. (Making it for some German friends) Pictures were terrible but the transitions worked fine.

I found it, saved as MPEG Pal. (Making it for some German friends) Pictures were terrible but the transitions worked fine.

If for PAL then you converted to the wrong picture size since PAL is 720x576. But why convert the picture before adding them to your project? You really lose a lot of quality doing multiple conversion.

Walt, he reduced his pictures at my suggestion, but went farther than what I asked him to try.

Smokeytoo, that's good news. So, my original suggestion was to reduce your pictures by 50%, not 80%, which should have left plenty of resolution to give you a decent picture even after zooming. So, I'd still suggest a 50% reduction in image size, for your production, then output to your MPEG-2. Which specific output format did you select? If you're creating a DVD (not an AVCHD), then my suggestion would be to select All and PAL as the Purpose. And then select "MPEG-2 for DVD, Best Quality."

Again, play that to verify the rendering went well, and then try bringing that into MyDVD and see if that works any better.

OK, i'm going to start completely new. Will take a while. I haven't touched my camera since I took the photos for the slide show, only to download the pics. Just notice that the camera was set to AF Macro.. Guess that's the problem with the pics. I'm going to reduce the pics to 800X600, that the closes choice Roxio gives me. I have my original pictures on another Hard Drive. Will just copy them to my C drive and work on them from there, keeping the original pics as is.

Edited by Smokytoo

You could even just try rendering the project you have, with the full size images, and see how that plays back. If that renders good to an MPEG file, then it doesn't matter the size of the original image files since DVD quality is 720x480, or for PAL 720x576, as Walt pointed out. That's regardless of the original image size.

To cut down on time try one with 3 to 5 images for these tests.

First, do it just like you did your main project to make sure the problem still shows up!

Then try it with Dave's suggestion. Do ISO's and VLC for testing ;)

But, that doesn't help me with Roxio, I'm still going to have the same problem with the program? I know you guys are trying to help with it, by doing it other ways. Don't understand why I just can't make a video only with Roxio, it worked so good before, now, all of a sudden I have these problems?

So, as far as we knew to this point, this was the first project you've ever done, and it had never worked otherwise. (You always had the flickering problem.) Are you telling us that you've done this sort of project before, without any issues like this? If so, then tell us what changes you made to your system recently. Windows updates/upgrades? Any chance of rolling those back to a point where it worked before? We can only work with the information you give us.

As for doing it only with Roxio, the only reason we're having you use VLC is to verify that everything is good prior to having you use a disc, to keep from wasting them. But all of the actual "work" (creating the project, rendering, creating the final disc) is still being done with Roxio applications. You are still making your "video only with Roxio."

Sorry, never thought about that. I have always used Roxio for many years. I think I started from your first program. This is the first time I ever had a problem.

Keep in mind, this is not "our" program. We're users like yourself. Volunteers. We don't work for Corel/Roxio.

So, as I read into what you just replied with, perhaps this is your first project with Creator NXT3? And NXT2 (or an earlier version) worked fine? If NXT3 isn't giving you any needed new feature(s) over the previous version you were running, maybe uninstalling it, and going back to the previous version is the easiest solution.

Let us know what the path is that got you to where you are. Maybe we'll have some other ideas.

OK, didn't know you weren't with Roxio. Appreciate the help though.

All of my versons of Roxio always worked fine, this is the first time I've had this problem. I now understand why the pictures are bad. That has to do with the AF Macro. I use it for close-ups and forgot to set it back to the regular mode. Just don't understand why the Pan & Zoom and moving menus jump and jerk, they were always smooth. Just uninstalled a couple of other free photo progs. that might be interfering with my Roxio. As far as the path, I assume you mean How I make the slideshow. First, I edit the photos. Then, in videowave, I download the pics and create the video. When that's finished I burn it in MYDVD.

By "path" I mean, what is new in your system since it worked properly to create your video projects. I believe that you understand the process of using Videowave and MyDVD.

You never answered if this is the first project you've done with NXT 3. Is it? Or have you successfully used Creator NXT 3 to create videos previously?

What was the previous version of Creator you were using? And when did you move to Creator NXT 3? Does NXT 3 give you any new capabilities that you need? If not, then going back to that previous version may be the easiest/best solution to the problem.

So answer those specific questions, please.

OK, didn't know you weren't with Roxio. Appreciate the help though.

All of my versons of Roxio always worked fine, this is the first time I've had this problem. I now understand why the pictures are bad. That has to do with the AF Macro. I use it for close-ups and forgot to set it back to the regular mode. Just don't understand why the Pan & Zoom and moving menus jump and jerk, they were always smooth. Just uninstalled a couple of other free photo progs. that might be interfering with my Roxio. As far as the path, I assume you mean How I make the slideshow. First, I edit the photos. Then, in videowave, I download the pics and create the video. When that's finished I burn it in MYDVD.

I don't know why using the AF Macro should have any effect. I did a quick test using 5 pictures with a resolution of 5202x3465 to create a DVD and have very little flickering ( there will always be some when panning) especially when the resolution is reduced to DVD quality.

Why are you editing the photos and what program are you using? What are the actual settings you use when you create your video in Videowave?

Could you possibly upload a problem photo to some website such as Dropbox or OneDrive?

Edited by myguggi

Are you familiar with "moire effect"? In TV it was so bad that no one could wear a pin stripped shirt/suit/tie. It shows up in photography and is carried over in spades if you make a image into a video.

Could that be the issue? Read this (link). Google for more informatrion.

By "path" I mean, what is new in your system since it worked properly to create your video projects. I believe that you understand the process of using Videowave and MyDVD.

You never answered if this is the first project you've done with NXT 3. Is it? Or have you successfully used Creator NXT 3 to create videos previously?

What was the previous version of Creator you were using? And when did you move to Creator NXT 3? Does NXT 3 give you any new capabilities that you need? If not, then going back to that previous version may be the easiest/best solution to the problem.

So answer those specific questions, please.

Bought NTX 3 in May 2015. Roxio Creator Pro 2012. Can't think anything extra special that NTX 3 has over 2012.

I have made 2 projects since then, the last one in Jan/Feb this year. There were some progs that I deleted as of Tuesday. I don't remember those names but, they came from Giveaway of the day. I installed these since Feb (Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, Family Search Indexing, Avery Design and Print. There are more but they are only updates of ones I've always had.

I don't know why using the AF Macro should have any effect. I did a quick test using 5 pictures with a resolution of 5202x3465 to create a DVD and have very little flickering ( there will always be some when panning) especially when the resolution is reduced to DVD quality.

Why are you editing the photos and what program are you using? What are the actual settings you use when you create your video in Videowave?

Could you possibly upload a problem photo to some website such as Dropbox or OneDrive?

Yeah, I know there is a little flickering. It was really the moving menus and the transitions that concerned me.

I understood that the pics were to large and that is because the camera was set on the AF Macro position.

I'm also using NTX 3 for editing the pics. In most cases it's just cropping or making it lighter or darker.

Videowave: Never needed to change any of the settings.

I have one drive?

Are you familiar with "moire effect"? In TV it was so bad that no one could wear a pin stripped shirt/suit/tie. It shows up in photography and is carried over in spades if you make a image into a video.

Could that be the issue? Read this (link). Google for more informatrion.

Thanks for that suggestion. Don't see that kind of problem.

Many (including myself) consider Creator 2012 the last, best product Roxio put out. When you installed NXT3, it probably informed you that it needed to uninstall Creator 2012, and then did it for you? At this point, you could go back and reinstall Creator 2012, and I'm quite sure that both will coexist.

All of the things we've tried so far, rendering prior to MyDVD, will only affect the flickering during pan/zoom and transitions. As for the menus, I don't have any good ideas, except to consider reinstalling Creator 2012.

Many (including myself) consider Creator 2012 the last, best product Roxio put out. When you installed NXT3, it probably informed you that it needed to uninstall Creator 2012, and then did it for you? At this point, you could go back and reinstall Creator 2012, and I'm quite sure that both will coexist.

All of the things we've tried so far, rendering prior to MyDVD, will only affect the flickering during pan/zoom and transitions. As for the menus, I don't have any good ideas, except to consider reinstalling Creator 2012.

Yeah, I'm thinking about re-installing, not sure yet though. I want to try NTX 3 one more time. I will be starting from the beginning one more time. If it happens again I will go back to 2012.

I've been informed that installing Creator 2012 over NXT3 may inform you of a couple things it needs to uninstall to install properly. I'm not sure how that may affect the final functionality of NXT 3, but maybe it won't be important, if you're planning to use Creator 2012 anyway.

This is for everyone. 1st-to create an ISO image in MYDVD: click "burn" and unclick the DVD block on the top left, and click "create an image" about half way down.

OK, I completely deleted and re-installed NTX 3. Also deleted some extra programs I had installed for making videos. Now it works much better.

NTSC works perfect but PAL isn't so good.

For the PAL version to work I had to use no pan and zoom and make the transitions as short as possible.

But it still looks good.

Thank You Everyone for your suggestions.