kirbymurphy

Is 720 X 480 The Max It Can Capture?

Question

Did a couple of test caps today and they were only 720 X 480.

I set it to 16x9 format but it doesn't fill the frame.

I sent it some 1080 via the output of my Charter DVR. The 1080 looks fine when I send it to the composite input of my TV.

Is 720 X 480 the max?

4 answers to this question

The program was designed to capture from an analog VHS -- 720 by 489 so yes, that is the max.

Can you COPY the program from the DVR to your computer and work from there? Usually there is a format issue.

Remember not all programs can be edited.

I was anticipating it would injest whatever resolution I fed it it and make the video file. Too bad at has that limitation. Was hoping with HD TV I could copy at full resolution.

I got it into the PC OK and was able to import into Vegas Edit just fine. I hoped (but didn't expect) it would work as a 1494 capture with Vegas and take it directly into it, but no joy.

Not a huge deal since I'll probably only use it 3 or 4 times a year and $45 wasn't too bad.

What is a 1494 capture? Obviously you can't capture at a higher resolution then the source supplies and VHS2DVD is designed for 720x480 video.

After capture you can of course "convert" to other resolution but often the quality will be reduced especially for

The Composite cables do not carry HD, only SD.

In Roxio's stable you might consider the Roxio GameCap HD. It captures HD but there are limitations. I can capture with Component or HDMI. HDMI is farther limited through HDCP coding - if it has it, it won't capture ;)

Most capture devices and cards are proprietary, meaning that they will only capture when using the software that is included. If these don't suit you needs, then look around. I would start with the Vegas forums and see what they are saying there.