4 replies to this topic

#1 zinck

zinck

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:39 PM

I'm just curious.  I finished my little video.  Now it is time to produce or export the final product.

Which video file formats are the best to use to play on my laptop?  To upload to YouTube?  Or to play on my television?  Or to show on a projector?  Or just general all purpose good quality?

Thank you for your suggestions!

:)

Edited by zinck, 03 August 2016 - 06:41 PM.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:39 AM

You forgot a thumb drive :o  and a DVD !

A lot depends on what you started with - standard definition or high definition?   mpg2, mov, or other?  Bit rate?

What program are you going to play it with on your computer?  How are you going to connect to the projector or are you just going to burn to disc and play from there?  If high definition blu ray, AVCHD or standard disc?

mpg2 format is what is on a DVD so that is good general purpose for standard definition or for blu ray.  The other almost universal format is WMV. (Windows Media Video).

There are NO simple answers !

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#3 zinck

zinck

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:19 AM

Hello!  I see you are in Houston.  I grew up in Texas City.

Well, my "video" is actually just a bunch of photos and some are 40 years old and were scanned.  So I'm not starting with anything very sharp.  A long way off from HD.

Later in the year I'll come up with something else like this that I need to present at various locations.  I usually put it on a thumb drive.

So if I choose WMV which one of the options in Roxio is the best?  The last one on the list WMV 9?   (320 x 240) or (640 x 480)?

Or if I choose to do avi, which option is best?  Generic?  ARCHOS?  or Creative ZEN?

Thanks again for the advice!  :D

#4 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

If you scanned your photos with a newer scanner, they are probably high definition by default.    What is the resolution?  Right click on one of the photos, and select properties and then details.  I bet that they are over 1920 by 1080. so you do have HD content.  Do you have the capabilities to do blu ray (hardware and the Pro version of Creator)?  You can put the HD on a thumb drive or have the blu ray  (or AVCHD) discs.  Use the highest definition for the wmv file.  You Tube will accept that.  

I would not use AVI at this point.  Not everyone will be able to play them.  Read up on AVI because the base is important.

I have lived in Friendswood since 1989--OMG has it been that long !  :blink:

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#5 zinck

zinck

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:02 AM

I moved away from home in 1973.  But go visit friends in your area every couple of years.

Thanks for the advice.  I won't be doing BluRay.  Sounds like WMV is probably my best option. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users