robertpny

Dvd Not Recognized By Sony Blu Ray Player

Question

Perhaps this has been noted before but I did not find details so I decided to post this.

I created an image file using Toast Titanium 14. Started at "Video", selected the menu style, chose the format as DVD-Video, and added two large MPEG-4 files. When the image file was done I checked it to make sure it plays. My next step was to burn discs. I made 3 copies on Memorex DVD+R DL discs. Checking those for play on the Mac I found they were fine.

When I put them into my Sony Blu Ray player I discovered the player would not recognize the discs. It offers an icon with a question mark on it and the word "unknown". Just for the hell of it, I tried a DVD player and the disc ran just fine.

Anyone have thoughts? Is this a software issue? A Sony issue? A disc issue?

I am running a Mac with OS 10.11.6 and Toast Titanium 14. The Blu Ray machine is a Sony model number BDP-BX59

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Anyone have thoughts? Is this a software issue? A Sony issue? A disc issue?

"Yes."

To start with, you've pretty well proven that your discs were created properly since they play in a couple different places, including a set-top DVD player. (Possibly one of the inexpensive, $40 (or less) DVD players? )

Next point, Memorex discs are considered by many, including myself, not worth the money you pay for them. Again, you've proven the disc(s) are written correctly, and readable in more than one device.

Point three. More expensive players have been known to be more particular about what type of discs they will read then computer and inexpensive players. I had a $25 Magnavox DVD player that would play pretty much any disc I put in it, where my $300 Sony DVD/VHS combo wouldn't ready half of them.

My suggestion is to try some different brands of discs. Historically, Verbatim discs have done well by most people. It's a cheap thing to try.

I have this very same problem. I created my dvd and it will play on the several dvd players that I have tried. However, when the dvd's are put into a Blu Ray player (I tried three different brand Blu Ray players) the disk was not recognized. I am wondering if anyone has solved this issue?

And have you tried the suggestion of burning your content onto a different brand (or two) of discs? What brand are you using? The original poster never came back to indicate if he had tried that suggestion. Perhaps he did, it solved his problem, and he never responded. Let us know if that suggestion helps you, or if you've already tried it.