dupecoop

Edit Menu Buttons In Dvd-Video?

Question

In DVD-Video, I don't see a way to edit buttons on the menu page.

For example, the title of each button has the date and time by default. I don't want that, and I would like to be able to move the buttons freely.

Is there a way to do that in Toast 15?

10 answers to this question

There was a time that one could open the Toast menu flies in photoshop and make changes and save them. I'm not sure if that is still the case. At any rate, it was/is very cumbersome. You also need to know where the Toast menu files are stored and then know where to store the edited files. It is NOT for the faint of heart.

It seems that Toast's upgrades are not really much of anything. I generally buy them and wonder why I did. I was hoping that Toast 15 would allow more flexibility with placement of menus, but it's no different previous versions. I wish there was a Nero Video for Mac. It's much more comprehensive.

Can you? Well, kinda. I've done it, and changed the menu a bit. Still not optimal. Here's Corel's explanation:

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/articles/215854838-Create-or-customize-Toast-DVD-menu-styles

Kathi

Kathi,

Thank you for responding. The Toast community has been woefully short on people who are familiar with Macs and use Toast and are also familiar with toast on the mac ever since Tsantee left over two years ago. I've read your recent postings and you seem to have a great working knowledge which will be of great benefit to toast users.

About this particular post. I read the Corel response. Seems like that would work if one wants to create new menus. I do remember several versions back where people wanted to do the same, but often wanted to edit the existing toast menus. As I recall, it was possible to do, but it required people to know where the toast menus are stored and then have a version of photoshop that would open the file for editing. I've not found where those menu files are stored. Can you assist in this matter. Thanks, Bob

Note that on that referenced page, for Toast 8 and higher, the response is to only change the background image, not using Photoshop, but using the regular Toast interface. The design guide was made for Toast 7 and hasn't been updated publicly. Toast 8 menus were much improved, thus different. Meaning loads of unknowns for later versions and nothing to guide you when something doesn't work. But feel free to try! And if you figure it out, do post a tutorial.

Also note that Toast was in Sonic Solutions' hands (2003-2011) when they released Toast 7 (2005) and Toast 8 (2007).

Bob,

There are a few ways of doing this - going from the easy to the not so easy. :)

You can work within the tools you have to make Toast work at least a little bit better. Larry Jordan and others have covered this:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/create-a-custom-blu-ray-menu-using-toast-titanium-10/

Or you can modify the menu in Photoshop. Note: I haven;t tried this. I opened it in Photoshop and it seems to be a file containing nested layers, etc. All I can say is if you do this, work on a copy! The file is inside the Toast app in the /Resources/Toast Menu Styles folder. I only see one menu here - Splash, so this might be a deprecated file - especially since I also see icon files going back to Toast version 6. :)

Kathi

Am I the only one that still wants to make custom menus in Toast? I hate the generic ones they created. Please... if anyone has figured it out please let me know.

Matt Caswell

matt AT thecaswells.net