• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HelenC

HelenC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:47 AM

We got the program yesterday and started experimenting with a movie recorded from TV and a less important home tape first.  The movie recorded from TV had a bunch of those white spots, like mold, and kept shutting off.  I get that.  It was too old and rotten.  Exactly why I am trying to rescue this stuff.  The video of me in my big hair days would not to save to DVD, which is a different issue to be dealt with because I believe it is at least saved somewhere in my computer but I finally couldn’t stand it anymore and tried to save one of my kid’s birthday videos.  All I get is a green screen and nothing happens.  I don’t think the problem is deterioration because of the TV movie experience, so what is going on and how do I fix it?

#2 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,030 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:20 AM

First, tell us how you have got everything hooked up to the Roxio unit, what cables you are using....etc, etc.

Some users units/software are  VERY sensitive to tape noise and interrupts in the signal and the Roxio unit  sees  it as the End of Tape and stops. which maybe the problem your having with the movie you recorded from the TV.

#3 HelenC

HelenC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:14 AM

I know everything is hooked up properly.  One VHS did record.  After troubleshooting, turns out it was too large to transfer to DVD (6.8 GB) and I found the path and was able to watch it on the computer.  

For the green screen problem, I have an extension cord from the VHS that has both the older composite and the S cable so I plugged them both in.  Does the program show a green screen when it thinks it is at the end of the tape?  I can hear it playing in the machine.  When I was describing the old TV movie, I was using it as an example that I couldn't even get that far.  It was so rotten, it wouldn't even play in the VHS machine.  The one I am getting green screen on seems to be playing fine, in fact today I got a couple of seconds of sound 'happy bir..' before the green screen actually kicked on.  No visual, just audio.

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,453 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Green Screen is not normal. I have seen it but don't really recall what was doing it.

Plug in One or the Other but not both! If you choose S-Video, remember you have to hook up Audio separately.

Short cables are a key factor - 3 to 6 feet work best.

Never choose the Record DVD - ONLY use the Record Edit Save option.

When end of tape is reached (real or thought to be) the program Stops Recording.

Try some of these things out and see what happens.

#5 HelenC

HelenC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:38 PM

The extension cord is only 3 ft. but all those things you suggested were pretty much how it went with the tape that was successful.  We are searching for a mini VHS converter tape now and we will be able to test others as soon as we get one.  I did not go all the way to the shut off point of the first one because I knew where the end of the recording was and turned it off manually.  I have unplugged the composite (my husband says it didn't matter, the stupid thing keeps falling out anyway.  You gotta love old equipment).  Thanks for your help and if I figure it out I will post back for the the next person.

#6 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,453 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:09 AM

One other thing to try while you are at it - try using a different source for recording.

Any device you have that has composite or S-Video OUT. (TVs don't!) This will test the Roxio software as well as the USB Capture device.

To find files that you have recorded on your PC, look under File-Preferences-Capture file location, to see where it tucked them away - you hair may be in there :lol:

Attached File  File - Preferences 1.jpg   146.6KB   0 downloads

Always use the Record, Edit and Save part of the program. The Record DVD is too risky to take a chance on - one error and you lose the disc as well as everything you tried to record :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users