Ryan S

High Pitch Noise During Vhs To Dvd Transfer

Question

I just purchased the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac. I am converting using an old Panasonic AG-1980 VCR. The VHS tapes are playing fine in the Roxio software window, but there is always a high pitched noise in the background. It's like a ringing noise in your ear. If I increase the volume on my Mac, the noise gets louder. If I lower the volume, the noise is still there, but difficult to hear. I am using an S-video cable along with red and white cables. I've tried two different S-video cables and both produce the noise. I only have one set of red/white/yellow cables, so the problem could be related to them.

I went into my Mac's sound control window and changed the input to "Roxio Video Capture USB" but the noise is still present. I'm stumped and frustrated. Is it the machine? The software? The cables? I really hope its not the machine since I bought it specifically for this project. I was hoping that this would be a smooth and easy process, but none of my transfers are working out. Help!

Ryan

27 answers to this question

Well, at this point, I just don't know what the source of the noise is. Since playing the tape directly through your TV doesn't introduce the noise, we have to assume it's either in the Roxio video capture device, or a combination of that and the Mac. I was forgetting that you're on a Mac, and Goldwave is a Windows application. You've tried a different Mac, and a different USB power supply, so we've sort of isolated it to the Roxio device.

Once again, what we're forced to recognize is that no matter how "Easy" something may be described as being, there's often much too much to learn. :) At this point, I don't have a good solution for you, without you having to get into a little bit of audio editing. As I say, most audio editors can create a notch filter that would take out the objectionable noise from your video. But that's an extra couple of steps (extract the audio, filter it, add it back to your video).

You could try contacting Roxio and explain the problem (point them to this thread), but I doubt you'll get much satisfaction from Roxio. I'd be as tempted to look for another device, possibly find a less-expensive used one off ebay. Then we could see if it's your specific unit, or an overall design problem, but you're the first person to mention a high frequency noise problem, so there's hope it's the device, not the design of the device.

Sorry I don't have a better idea. Maybe someone else will put one forth!

Edited by d_deweywright

Ryan

Awhile back when we trying different fixes for your problem you borrowed your parents VCR.

You could try installing your VHS to DVD program on your parents computer (assuming they have a Mac) and use their VCR to test with.

Edited by ogdens