Question

Hello everybody

I'm a Roxio Creator NXT5 owner for a few days. I bought the software because I want to digitize a large amount of LPs. Using the wizard to record music is no problem. To set track marker is no problem.

But none of the LPs has been recognized at Gracenote so far (Genesis, Mike Oldfield, Roy Orbison). What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards

All4Cinema

6 answers to this question

But none of the LPs has been recognized at Gracenote so far (Genesis, Mike Oldfield, Roy Orbison). What am I doing wrong?

Hello,

You haven't given much information about what you're wanting to do, so it's very hard to say what you're doing wrong.

I'm guessing that

-you're wanting to digitize vinyl LPs with the LP & Tape Assistant

-you have your player connected correctly and recording your music successfully

-you have very good taste in music

-you have got at least this far in the process [please tell me if I'm seriously wrong]

post-208-0-90541500-1477183052_thumb.jpg

I think the best idea would be for me to show a quick hop through the rest of the process, and if that doesn't solve it you can come back with any questions.

Click the Next button, and in the next screen click the Tags button

post-208-0-42648100-1477183368_thumb.jpg

You then reach Edit Audio Tags, where you should highlight the tracks, and then click the MusicID button

post-208-0-64182400-1477183526_thumb.jpg

At this point the assistant goes and checks for unidentified tracks, a Gracenote icon should show in the top left corner of your screen, and if all is working TWO tracks should get identified. Highlight tracks and click MusicID again, repeating until all tracks have been identified, then click Done.

[Don't ask why it only does two tracks a time, it seems quite silly but nobody has ever explained this one to us.]

You should now see this screen, which was what was wanted. Either burn them to an audio CD, or export the tracks to audio files, and then click Finish

post-208-0-69929700-1477184206_thumb.jpg

There are other things you can do to edit, clean up, and enhance your tracks and heaps of settings you can experiment with, but hopefully this message will have got your tracks identified for you.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon

Thanks a lot for Your response!

Yes, I want to digitize vinyl LPs with the LP & Tape Assistant
Yes, I connected my Oracle Delphi Mark IV (Kiseki blue goldspot /mc) :wub: over an X-LPS to the Soundcard and recording is no Problem
"-you have very good taste in music" :D:D:D:D

Yes, I did all the Steps you described until to that point...

post-208-0-64182400-1477183526.jpg

But the Tracks are not recognized. I can see,that an Internet Connection is established, but the Result returned from the Server is allways rubbish (Titels from Computer Games or nothing).

Any Idea?

Best Regards

All4Cinema

All4Cinema,

If you're getting _a_ result from Gracenote then you must be doing everything right. As to why you're getting garbage back from them, I'm at a loss.

I believe they they rely on matching patterns between your LP and entries in their database (number of tracks, length of tracks, etc) but I don't think they actually analyze the content of the tracks. That's why people complain they can't recognize a home-made mixtape. If you're digitizing a whole commercial album they they should have all the info they need to make a match, even if you are setting track markers and there's a second or two difference.

Gracenote do (or used to) offer to let you input the tracknames and details from your album if it hasn't been previously input to their database, but given that they took over the old public CDDB I can't believe that they haven't already stored every album from Genesis, Oldfield, and Orbison (and some more than once).

Tell me please, will the MusicID button only look at two tracks at a time for you?

I'm really at a loss to suggest why Gracenote won't recognize your albums. As shown above, they recognize CD rips without problem. Others should feel free to chip in with their thoughts, if they can help.

I sometimes use a brilliant and free program called MusicBrainz Picard from here, and that will examine individual MP3 tracks and identify them for you. It will also rename files and rewrite their tags when you want them to. It might be interesting to run some of the MP3s you generate from your vinyl against this program, and see if they're identified properly.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon

I made a Test.

I created mp3 files with no sound but with the exact length of the LP "A Night at the Opera" from Queen. That piece of music HAS TO BE KNOWN :D

post-130752-0-91172200-1478638044_thumb.png

Then I started the recognition process...

post-130752-0-36383800-1478638110_thumb.png

...and nothing happens

post-130752-0-24525000-1478638175_thumb.png

The conclusion is that there has to be more than the amount of tracks and, the duration of each track with the right order.

I think it should work like SoundHound.

Regards

All4Cinema

EDIT:

Your question: Tell me please, will the MusicID button only look at two tracks at a time for you?

Yes, if I test with recorded music, the tool only look at two tracks at a time.

Edited by All4Cinema

I'm impressed, and your conclusion seems sound.

I can't find anywhere a list of the methods or measurements that Gracenotes use to identify music, so I don't know what they require to identify an album off vinyl.

They should be able to do it, else why does Roxio give you the ability to ask them?

Have you had any success with MusicBrainz?

Regards,

Brendon

I've spent quite some time digging around the Gracenote site to try and find information about this, but everything on their site seemed to be geared towards optical discs.

I finally sent them a help request asking them if they can identify an album recorded off vinyl or is their service only for optical discs.

post-208-0-21194500-1479933122_thumb.jpg

Despite their promise, it has been 14 days and nothing has been heard from them.

I don't think we're going to get any help from Gracenote. I'm sorry.

Have you had any success with MusicBrainz? I've found it very useful for identifying orphaned music files.

Regards,

Brendon