MichaelGraubart

Mystery New Mac Application

Question

A few days ago, MacUpdate presented a half-price offer of a new Roxio product: Toast Express. I have used Toast Titanium 9 for many years, but since I have upgraded my Mac's operating system to Sierra I was interested in this Toast Express. I tried asking Roxio/Corel, but the advisor who answered my enquiry had never heard of Toast Express. That made me suspicious, of course, and I contacted MacUpdate, who got me some details and confirmed that Toast Express is a bona fide Roxio product. Since the price was so tempting, I took a chance on it and purchased and installed it. But I would still like some details: what are its limitations compared with the latest Toast Titanium? How does the quality of CDs burnt with Toast Express compare with those burnt by means of Toast Titanium? Etc.

I have had to post in the General Chat forum because there is nothing for Toast Express. Likewise it seems almost impossible to find a way of asking for information on the Corel website. I should be very grateful for some information.

5 answers to this question

I can't find any mention of this product on the Roxio or Corel sites. At $20, I would suspect that it's an ultra-cut-down, very reduced-ability version of Toast that they've put out for some OEM supplier. If it was a "Front of Shop" product it would be launched with a big fanfare and much fuss, but instead the silence is deafening.

If that is so, expect it to have important things missing (by design), and to get no support from Roxio (the OEM seller has to supply the support).

At this price, and being marketed this way, "you pay your money and you take your chances" but don't expect a bargain.

Thanks very much, Brendon, for this very quick, helpful and informative reply. I may try to get a refund from MacUpdate after i have made sure that my old Toast Titanium 9 still works fully in Sierra.

The screenshot images on MacUpdate seem to suggest that there is something special in the Convert tab, per the corner label with the green arrow. Perhaps that is the difference compared to Toast Titanium: File conversions may be excluded in Express and could require an upgrade to Titanium to unlock. Note that the description conveniently omits the mention of file conversions.

Thank you very much, 'the old archiver'. That is very interesting and useful. In the meantime, after some repeated pestering, I obtained an answer from Corel (who have taken over Roxio): originally they had said that they knew nothing about this app, but at last they have said that the software in Express is identical to that in Titanium, but that in Express one can only burn, one cannot edit. That seems to tie up with what you say, and I shall explore. But the statement that the software is identical to Titanium's (though strictly speaking contradicted by the statement that one cannot edit!) answers my doubts about the quality of the results of burning with Express.

Edited by MichaelGraubart

I guess that's the "important things missing", or one of them.