novice5

Burning Very Slow And Won't Playback On Anything

Question

I've recently downloaded this program to author and burn my family's home videos in high-def. I'm having major problems with it.

1. It burns at an incredibly slow speed. It took half a day to burn 1 25 GB BD-R disc. I'm so new at this that I don't even know if this is normal but it seems eternally long. Any suggestions as to why this might be happening? I'm using a Pioneer plug & play bluray burner

2. After finalizing the disc, it won't play on any player. I've looked at all my players to see if it's a compatibility issue playing the disc but even the player I've confirmed to be able to play BD-R media it still won't play the disc.

Being such a novice at this process, I'm at a complete loss of what to do. Any and all help in layman' terms would be appreciated.

Thanks

10 answers to this question

I've recently downloaded this program to author and burn my family's home videos in high-def. I'm having major problems with it.

1. It burns at an incredibly slow speed. It took half a day to burn 1 25 GB BD-R disc. I'm so new at this that I don't even know if this is normal but it seems eternally long. Any suggestions as to why this might be happening? I'm using a Pioneer plug & play bluray burner

2. After finalizing the disc, it won't play on any player. I've looked at all my players to see if it's a compatibility issue playing the disc but even the player I've confirmed to be able to play BD-R media it still won't play the disc.

Being such a novice at this process, I'm at a complete loss of what to do. Any and all help in layman' terms would be appreciated.

Thanks

Speed is dependent on your computer. By the length of time it took, it appears that you are counting in the amount of time it takes to re-encode the video file to the format you chose for the blu ray.

Where did you get the home videos - camcorder or other?

What format are they?

Are they high definition to start with? If not, what definition (1920 by 1080 or 720 by 480 or other.)

Attach the dxdiag file from your computer. Follow these instruction (link)

When talking about disc dize when you are talking about video, time is the important factor. How much time are you putting on the disc?

There is no need to finalize a video disc. You can finalize a data disc. What part of the program are you using for your work MyDVD or Copy and Convert?

Have you looked at the tutorials in the part of the program you are using?

There will be more questions (and answers) based on the information you provide.

• Like 1

(a close posting tie with Steve ;) )

That is a lot of ground to cover :huh:

First: no, it should not take an extraordinary amount of time to render and author a disc! A ball park figure is 1:1... 1 measure of render/author time for 1 measure of project length.

Generally speaking, file size is totally irrelevant to video work. It is measured in time.

PC specs can change that! We need to see what you have and the instructions to provide what we need are HERE

Also going to need to know a lot more about your Project. What Length is as well as quality (e.g. 1920 X 1280 @ 30 Mbps) of the Source files.

Then the quality of the output files.

Playing the Disc:

You mention "...finalizing the disc...". Since that is automatic when Authored, it raises the possibility you are not doing it right??? Take a look at this older post on workflow. Granted it is a much older version (8 years) and the software was full featured then, but the principles in the first paragraph don't change!

• Like 1

Speed is dependent on your computer. By the length of time it took, it appears that you are counting in the amount of time it takes to re-encode the video file to the format you chose for the blu ray.

Please forgive my multiple questions or simple answers because this is truly a new language for me!! I'll do my best to answer everything since you're help is far better than anything Roxio provided (they asked I use verbatim media which I did all along and that I clear my temp files...the end!)

Where did you get the home videos - camcorder or other? Yes, they're my children's home videos off Sony handycam - HDR-CX150. We recorded onto SD card and would just transfer them off camcorder onto the computer to make room for more. A few others are recorded from original IPad

What format are they? I'm a mac user but had to put all of this on my husband's PC since I don't have enough memory to handle all of this plus it's where all the videos are saved anyway. I view the videos through "Photos" but it doesn't give me an option to right click and see the file itself. The best I've been able to figure out is by copying and pasting in a folder that shows me the actual file and that says MTS file type. Does that seem correct? I've tried this for several of the video clips and they all appear to be of that format when coming from the camcorder. The ones from the iPad are .mov files.

Are they high definition to start with? If not, what definition (1920 by 1080 or 720 by 480 or other.) The camcorder stuff says "Full HD 1080". The majority of clips are from camcorder. The details of the camcorder video files only give the 1080 but no width. The .mov files says "1080" for frame height but doesn't give me a set width ("multiple values" is what it says instead)

Attach the dxdiag file from your computer. Follow these instruction (link) OK working on this now...will post in a minute

When talking about disc dize when you are talking about video, time is the important factor. How much time are you putting on the disc? I don't know exact. When you drop the clips into myDVD it shows you a bar at the bottom of how much more space you have left of 25 GB. I just went based off of that. I imagine it's a significant amount as it fit clips from 2010-2012. It doesn't give me a timeframe of the movie project as a whole.

There is no need to finalize a video disc. You can finalize a data disc. What part of the program are you using for your work MyDVD or Copy and Convert? That was my mistake. Since it took so long my husband was the one that clicked ok on that prompt but he corrected me and said that it just said it was done burning the disc not finalizing. I'm using myDVD

Have you looked at the tutorials in the part of the program you are using? Yes and they're not helpful at all. I contacted customer support but all they were able to offer me was a brand of disc and deleting my temp files.

There will be more questions (and answers) based on the information you provide.

Thanks for the dxdiag.exe text file. It helped.

Hint: Take a look at the error messages near the end of the dxdiag.exe file. There are several Windows errors including one that really slows down the computer (NSBU.exe) (Norton Discussion). Is there an up to date antivirus on that computer? When was a complete scan last run?

There are also other errors relating to Microsoft so that it can't install updates.

I'm going to guess that your husband doesn't use that computer for anything taxing -- especially not videos. The video driver is from 2 years ago. You should look to see if there are newer drivers. The i3 CPU is not very good for video editing and will lead to being very slow and frustrating.(along with the other issues discussed above).

Re: Files Typically the larger number is given first (except for smart phones) I have worked with 1440 by 1080 in the past with no problems.

Perhaps it is time for a Holiday computer gift ?

Processor: Intel® Core i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 6024MB RAM

Page File: 3932MB used, 3179MB available

Display Devices

Display Memory: 1792 MB

Dedicated Memory: 32 MB

Shared Memory: 1760 MB

HARD
DISk
750 GB (5,400 rpm) Serial ATA

A laptop, you did have it plugged into AC when rendering the Video? See Power errors end of log.

Video takes real Horse Power.

Your PC meets the minimum system requirements and does work just takes a looooong time.

Compare your system specs to others who have them listed in their signature.

New computer is definitely not a possibility. He does web based paperwork for work and just pictures/facebook/email so nothing fancy. Since I've already bought this Roxio for PC instead of mac, will what he has suffice (even if slow)? I'm not really editing just adding menus and dropping clips in. Even if it takes longer at this point as long as I can get them onto a disc I will consider myself happy.

This whole process has made me realize what an elementary level knowledge I have of computers. I never knew of this diagnostic process nor any of those errors. I opened the file and looked through them. I've ran a norton update and full system scan on his computer (he had just done it not too long ago). Everything according to windows says it's up to date. Don't know how else to get those errors fixed. Even looking through all of the "update device drivers" on the computer, it says they're up to date as well (had to go through them individually). To be honest, I couldn't even tell which was my video driver which is how I ended up going through them all checking individually!

Thanks for the dxdiag.exe text file. It helped.

Hint: Take a look at the error messages near the end of the dxdiag.exe file. There are several Windows errors including one that really slows down the computer (NSBU.exe) (Norton Discussion). Is there an up to date antivirus on that computer? When was a complete scan last run?

There are also other errors relating to Microsoft so that it can't install updates.

I'm going to guess that your husband doesn't use that computer for anything taxing -- especially not videos. The video driver is from 2 years ago. You should look to see if there are newer drivers. The i3 CPU is not very good for video editing and will lead to being very slow and frustrating.(along with the other issues discussed above).

Re: Files Typically the larger number is given first (except for smart phones) I have worked with 1440 by 1080 in the past with no problems.

Perhaps it is time for a Holiday computer gift ?

A laptop, you did have it plugged into AC when rendering the Video? See Power errors end of log.

Yes, laptop. Although I have a desktop as well that belongs to our kiddo. I didn't consider using it because videos are saved on laptop. Might that work better? It is probably a newer computer overall and all he uses it for are educational stuff for school so it has nothing on it. I wonder if the power errors have to do with my toddler unplugging/plugging stuff during the process.

Video takes real Horse Power.

Your PC meets the minimum system requirements and does work just takes a looooong time.

As I mentioned to the other gentleman trying to help me, at this point I will count my losses and arm myself with lots of patience as long as I can get their videos onto a disc that preserves video quality (and most importantly their memories since in the past I've had hard drives crash that required recovery to get my pictures/videos back) with which it was recorded and play on our blu-ray players.

Compare your system specs to others who have them listed in their signature.

I don't know if to laugh or cry!!

I have a desktop as well that belongs to our kiddo

Post the dxdiag,exe from the desktop. :rolleyes:

Edited by cdanteek