Question

While, my VHS tapes are aging, and not the best clarity, after transferring to a DVD, the tracking is way off, jumping off and on, making it actually useless to transfer.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

7 answers to this question

I don't know what you mean by "tracking on DVD" since tracking of course is a function of your VCR and cannot be controlled by the software.

Please explain exactly what is happening, what you are seeing and the process you are doing.

Edited by myguggi

The VHS tapes are not the clearest (age), age, I know....but, when I am transferring one, what I see is the scenes that are choppy and skipping on the DVD,

Thanks,

They don't show that way on the TV when viewing just the VHS tapes.

Not clear, as I mentioned, but they don't appear choppy and skipping.

Since you have a VHS and a DVD Player...

Try using a pass through for recording. Run the VHS output into the DVD Player input then use the Roxio to capture the output from the DVD Player.

The vast majority of pass through don't change the signal but we have found it may be just enough to make a difference ;)

Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

The next question would be, how do the captured files play on your computer before you put them onto DVD? Are they smooth? Or do they show the same choppiness you're seeing on the DVDs?

Thank you, I will try that this weekend.

Yes, they were choppy when going through the computer when transferring also.

Not on the TV when played, but the computer.

You'll need to be a bit clearer in your answer. I'm not talking about any sort of transfer, only about playback of the files.

If you play the files on your computer, no DVD involved, using something like the VLC player, do they appear choppy? If so, then it sounds like they weren't captured well. In which case, we have to ask about the specs on your PC.

Please follow the instructions HERE for posting your dxdiag file.