Question

Hi,

I upgraded from NXT(1) to NXT4 some time ago and have just attempted to use transitions other than the standard "Reveals". I was astonished to find that many of those I used in NXT and earlier (at least back to Creator 10) are not there. There are none in categories "Page Turns", "3-D", and "Distort". I get the message "There are no items to show in this view".

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Is this another example of "dumbing-down" by Roxio/Corel or is it a problem my end? I've asked Roxio/Corel but as expected - No reply!!

(I am already using Creator 10 (EMC10) in parallel with NXT4 to make use of the original (far superior) version of MyDVD. So far this has worked perfectly under Windows 10. Maybe I should revert entirely to EMC10 and forget NXT!!)

Thanks in anticipation.

David

41 answers to this question

Hi Brendon,

Thanks for the advice. I usually am dubious about these clean up software packages, but I've used Glarysoft Glary Utilities for many years (recommended by a friend) and so far have not had any problems, even with the various versions of Roxio (until now!!). I don't really think I'm going to find a solution to the missing transitions so I'm definitely considering EMC10 full time.

I would still like to discuss it with Roxio/Corel if anyone could tell me how to.

Many thanks all.

David

Does your PC have a onboard graphics card or a add on graphics card?

What one is your Bios set to?

Hi cdanteek,

I am almost certain I have an on-board Graphics card. I've certainly not added one myself.

Not sure how to get to Bios in Win 10. Searched internet - looks long process - not sure it will tell me what I want anyway.

David

Hi all,

cdanteek - Not sure why you asked about the graphics card, but ....

all - I have reinstalled Vista on my Dell laptop (post #21), installed EMC10, no internet connection so nothing to slow it down, started a new project which is running well, so goodbye NXT4.

Many thanks to all for your comments regarding my missing transitions.

regards

David

Go well, David.

Best wishes,

Brendon

cdanteek - Not sure why you asked about the graphics card, but ....

Gathering data on who suffers from not seeing the transitions.

Hi Brendon et al,

You may or may not be interested in a further test that I've carried out on NXT4 transitions - here goes -

I belong to a group creating DVDs in a local organisation. I therefore have access to a number of Win10 machines and one other copy of NXT4. (most of us are still using NXT on Win7). I borrowed the other NXT4 (my friend has upgraded to NXT5 - poor chap!! - no info on transitions from him yet though) and installed it on another Win10 machine. Lo and behold ALL the transitions were there and working.

The interesting thing is the version number. After installation it was at "17.0.67.0; 5.0.0.0 Build 170B67A SP1, RO3 170B32A, RO3".

I was invited to install two upgrades, the first to SP2, (version "17.0.67.0; 5.0.0.0 Build 170B67A SP2, RO3 170B32B, RO3") and the second to SP3 (version "17.0.67.0; 5.0.0.0 Build 170B67A SP3, RO3 170B32B, RO3")

The version number appears to be an earlier one than mine (17.0.70.2), yet they were purchased on the same order. (I remember upgrading mine, but I can't remember what to).

I would like to install my copy onto this Win10 machine to see what that gives (to determine if it's my machine causing the problem), but I am aware of the installation limit as advised via this forum. (Where did this limit come from? It's not referred to in any supplied documentation). I seem to remember a post referring to a possible "reset" of this limit once it has been reached (can't find it now!!). Can you help with this? I definitely consider this issue as being a legitimate reason for multiple installations.

Regards

David

Good morning David.

That's an interesting array of version and build numbers, but we can't draw any conclusions until you try your copy in that machine or his copy in your machine.

For some reason, downgraded abilities never seem to be mentioned in advertising or supplied documentation. There was no install limit counter in the earlier Creators, but the NXT series had a limit of 10 installs. NXT 5 has a 20 install limit, but that still isn't enough where people are having problems with the software.

The Install Counter is shown in your ROXIO_SETUP.LOG.

The other day mine said:

01/03/17 13:47:57 - Install Count: 11
01/03/17 13:47:57 - Install Left: 9
01/03/17 13:47:57 - Install Resets: 0
01/03/17 13:47:57 - Validation completed successfully
01/03/17 13:48:14 - Tested 'Roxio Creator NXT 4' and turning dependant product 'MyDVD': on

I think the counter follows the unique key rather than the generic software, so you should be able to use either his key or yours (if he has moved to NXT 5 he won't need more NXT 4 installs?)

If a key gets maxed out, Roxio Technical Support can reset it if you can get in touch with them.

Regards,

Brendon

Under folder options, view, check 'show hidden files folders and drives' apply, ok.

Now go here, C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Roxio Log Files

Thanks guys...

Could not find folder under your path, cdanteek (only Roxio***.old folders).

Found Roxio Log Files here - C:\Program Data\Roxio Log Files\Roxio Creator NXT4\16-07-25 21-00\ROXIO_SETUP.LOG and .....\17-01-05 11-37\ROXIO_SETUP.LOG.

First one has approx 1000 lines of installation log for a period of approx 10 mins. This date could have been an installation date. It shows

Install Count 5

Install Left 15

Install Resets 0

Second has approx 400 lines for period of 4 mins. Looks like a failed install and this date is definitely not an install date.

I appear to have plenty left!!

Many thanks and Regards

David

Thanks for holding the fort, CD. :)

I'm in a different time zone David, so I just got up. It's 08:00 here.

Creator NXT pops its log files in different places depending on the Operating System you're using and the way you look for them, so I've given up trying to list everywhere you might find them.

It's also common to find one ROXIO_SETUP.LOG under Roxio Creator NXT 4, and another different one under Roxio MyDVD. Creator has the one we want.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Guys,

You won't believe this. I have the two Win10 machines with NXT4. I uninstalled and re-installed both NXT4s on the oposite machine. BOTH WORK!!!

I wonder if a simple re-install would have worked in the first place. Had I known the install limit was so high - I was thinking perhaps 5 or 6 - I would have done it. However, a repair didn't work - so maybe repair doesn't work.

I must be mad, but I'm going to reinstall mine again on my own machine. That will then leave me with 13 installs. Should be enough to see me through. I'll let you know.

David

Hi David,

A simple reinstall might have worked well, or you might have needed to do a thorough uninstall and cleanout followed by the new install. Who knows? The install limit dissuades you from trying various solutions, doesn't it.

So many people were blowing the 10-install limit in earlier versions that they upped the limit to 20 in NXT 4, but I think an install limit only works when you have a rock-solid guaranteed works-first-time installer and software which is totally bulletproof to the vagaries of Windows. We don't have that yet.

Watching for your reply,

Brendon

BINGO!!!!

Many thanks for your help guys. I can't believe it - a simple re-install!!! Had I known about the 20 install limit...............!!!!

One last comment - do you think Roxio are likely to issue a patch to correct the operation of at least one of their transitions? One of my favourites in EMC10 - Dual Flip - should be "A out, B in". Instead, since NXT (and I told Roxio about it then!!) it's been "B reversed out, B in". They just don't listen!!!

Thanks again

David

Well done, David!

We only found out about install limits when users started finding themselves locked out, and we had to start picking into log files.

I don't imagine there'll be a patch, so you might have to wait for a change in a later version.

NXT 5 still shows problems we found and notified in the original NXT, so please don't hold your breath.

Regards,

Brendon