Sign in to follow this  
Gerret

Bluray For Film Festivals

Question

I have a documentary I want to send to film festivals on BluRay, and I'm wondering what's the best approach. I want the best quality and I want the projectionist to have control over the start and end of the film. I've tested several times, but am wary of using up my expensive disc.

To date I've created a disc image, without menu, with both "Auto-play disc on insert" and "play all items continuously" selected. But I'm not sure auto-play is the best option.

What happens if you don't select auto-play and you don't have a menu? Will the disc simply wait for the user to select play? If so, sounds like the right solution.

If you have only 1 item (in my case a 68-minute movie) and you don't select "play all items continuously" what happens?

When I test the BluRay discs I've burned they loop at the end of the film. Any way to keep that from happening?

Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Auto-play disc on insert: Select this option to automatically play the first video, slideshow, or playlist when this disc is inserted into a player. The main menu is not displayed, but you can access it by pressing the MENU button on the player’s remote control.

Play all items continuously: Select this option to automatically play each video or slideshow on the disc without first returning to the main menu.

Discs without menu will Auto-play, whether you selected Auto-play or not. A video discs will always have a “first play” instruction, be it a clip or a menu.

Play all item continuously will loop. To just play once, you'll have to deselect Play all item continuously.

I would advice a menu, so that a projectionist can load the disc with starting it, then start the feature film with a play action on the menu.

• Like 1

Many thanks. Very helpful.

Another question: in seeking the best quality, what would you recommend for the custom settings for encoding?

My feature documentary master is ProRes HQ and has professionally mixed audio peaking at -6db.

Currently for video I've chosen MPEG-4 AVC, defaults of 8/16 for bit rate, "Best" for motion estimation, checked Half-PEL, "always" for reencoding, "Automatic for field dominance and aspect ratio.

For audio: Dolby digital 448kbps.

Thanks again for you help.

For Blu-ray, I would choose MPEG-4 AVC over MPEG-2 (most of the times), for its smaller footprint, so you can fit more of the same quality, or boost the bitrate a bit higher.

If you want, you could push the Average and Maximum bitrate a little bit to e.g. 9/18 or 11/22 Mbps, although I haven't done much testing to examine its effects. (Perhaps encode a short representative clip as a test.)

I always have Best and Half-PEL for Motion estimation. Encoding takes a bit longer, but the output file is more efficient; less bits for same quality, thus more room for a bit extra quality with the chosen bitrate.

Reencoding Always is what happens anyway for MPEG-4 AVC; Reencoding Never only applies to compliant MPEG-2 source material and MPEG-2 output.

Field dominance is related to interlaced footage, which of course depends on your source material. If Automatic doesn't give the obvious artifacts, then Automatic is a good setting. Otherwise override manually.

I normally have aspect ratio fixed at 16:9, but Automatic should work fine.

I’m pretty happy with Dolby Digital, 448 kbps. PCM seems excessive to me, but I know a few audiophiles who disagree.

• Like 1

A

For Blu-ray, I would choose MPEG-4 AVC over MPEG-2 (most of the times), for its smaller footprint, so you can fit more of the same quality, or boost the bitrate a bit higher.

If you want, you could push the Average and Maximum bitrate a little bit to e.g. 9/18 or 11/22 Mbps, although I haven't done much testing to examine its effects. (Perhaps encode a short representative clip as a test.)

I always have Best and Half-PEL for Motion estimation. Encoding takes a bit longer, but the output file is more efficient; less bits for same quality, thus more room for a bit extra quality with the chosen bitrate.

Reencoding Always is what happens anyway for MPEG-4 AVC; Reencoding Never only applies to compliant MPEG-2 source material and MPEG-2 output.

Field dominance is related to interlaced footage, which of course depends on your source material. If Automatic doesn't give the obvious artifacts, then Automatic is a good setting. Otherwise override manually.

I normally have aspect ratio fixed at 16:9, but Automatic should work fine.

I’m pretty happy with Dolby Digital, 448 kbps. PCM seems excessive to me, but I know a few audiophiles who disagree.

Thanks again.

I've run into 3 other issues which are driving me crazy:

1. I created a menu with "auto-play" deselected, burned a disc image, and when I played back with Roxio Video Player my film started playing. Looking down at a drop-down menu, I found my film listed as Title 1 and my menu as Title 2. Is that an anomaly of the Player or what a disc would look like? How can I get the menu to function as it should, as the first thing an audience sees, with a player button to begin my film?

2. I can't see an option to replace "My Movie" in the menu. I guess Toast is aimed at home movie market, but it seems a silly default.

3. In poking around the interface I foolishly clicked on a submenu option for menus. Even though I deselected it, the only options now for menus is with multiple submenus. How can I get back to a single menu?

Thanks in advance,

Gerret

1. I wouldn’t worry about that. The menu will be a separate stream, and in sorting the streams it may end up as Title 2. The Toast Video Player allows you to preview the HD clips, but it is not a full Blu-ray player. I’m afraid you’ll have to burn a disc and put it in a set top BD player to see the menu interface in action.

2. Isn’t that set in Customize > Menus > Menu Title?

3. Isn’t that set in Customize > Menus > ☑︎ include scene menus for video?