Blaq

Are These Pc Specs Acceptable?

Question

I installed Easy VHS to DVD on a friend's old Thinkpad and a test capture suffered from serious dropped frames and stuttering. I assume the laptop's specs are much too weak to reliably capture video. Can someone confirm my doubts?

• Windows 7 Pro
  • M-620 i7 @ 2.67 GHz
  • NVIDIA NVS 3100M graphics
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 50 GB free disk space

My friend also has a 2010 MacBook Pro; I could exchange the PC version of Easy VHS to DVD for the Mac version, so same question: are these specs unacceptable?

• 3.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB
  • 4 GB RAM

He's willing to buy a new $500-1000 laptop if his old machines aren't up to the job, but I'd rather check first in case I can save him hundreds in unnecessary expense. Thanks for your comments.

6 answers to this question

Are you sure on the CPU #?

The Core i7-620M should not be mistaken with the similar named but slower low voltage and ultra low voltage chips Core i7-620LM (2.13-2.93 GHZ, 25W) and Core i7-620UM (1.2-2.26 GHz, 18 W).

Hi blaq,

That PC with the I7 processor should be fast enough to not have the dropped frames and stuttering. The first thing to do is to make sure that that computer has all the drivers up to date, especially the GPU.. The Graphics Pressing Unit (GPU) on the i7 should be good enough. The NVIDA is a slower GPU but with the newer drivers, it should be OK for this program.

Do all other maintenance called for on that Thinkpad. The Thinkpad is a business computer so it may just run slower (busses and all that) as mentioned by cdanteek..

Make sure you capture to the computer and not directly to disc. Don;t have anything else running when you are capturing (disconnect from the Internet, shut down mail and antivirus, etc.).

Are you sure on the CPU #?

The Core i7-620M should not be mistaken with the similar named but slower low voltage and ultra low voltage chips Core i7-620LM (2.13-2.93 GHZ, 25W) and Core i7-620UM (1.2-2.26 GHz, 18 W).

That's what the System Information window shows: Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz

make sure that that computer has all the drivers up to date, especially the GPU. […] Do all other maintenance called for on that Thinkpad. […] Make sure you capture to the computer and not directly to disc. Don't have anything else running when you are capturing (disconnect from the Internet, shut down mail and antivirus, etc.).

Thanks, will do. I'll also run a full system tuneup to remove unwanted preinstalled software, defrag the drive, and so on.

make sure that that computer has all the drivers up to date, especially the GPU. […] Do all other maintenance called for on that Thinkpad. The Thinkpad is a business computer so it may just run slower (busses and all that) as mentioned by cdanteek..

Make sure you capture to the computer and not directly to disc. Don;t have anything else running when you are capturing (disconnect from the Internet, shut down mail and antivirus, etc.).

Also, since you posted in VHS to DVD, the processing of high definition video is a non-issue. VHS tapes are not high definition.