• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Frenzal

Frenzal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

A co-worker refuses to verify, says it doesn't need to.  This worked a long time for him.  But now we're having problems with burned disks pixelating and just not playing well.

This enquiring mind would like to know ....

TIA

Frenzal

#2 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

A verified disc may show problems after a while. So if the burn was good, but the disc went bad, then the verification doesn't mean much.

A failed verification may still be a perfectly playable disc, without any visible problems. Then the verification doesn't mean much.

A bad video file may look bad, but burn good and verify good, then the verification doesn't mean much.

IMHO, it is more important to invest in quality media.

#3 Frenzal

Frenzal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

What I was asking was, just how important is it to verify a disk?  Is it okay to skip the verification or not?

#4 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

I skip it all the time, as I haven’t found it a helpful feature ever. But that’s my personal choice.

#5 gspanos

gspanos

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:30 AM

A co-worker refuses to verify, says it doesn't need to.  This worked a long time for him.  But now we're having problems with burned disks pixelating and just not playing well.

This enquiring mind would like to know ....

TIA

Frenzalre-

I've found that skipping verification doesn't affect playback, but it does affect the ability to access and convert the vob files in the VIDEO_TS folder. I'm a Mac user and often need to access those files for re-editing projects. I use MPEG Streamclip to convert vob files to dv, and it fails to complete the process and reports errors with unverified data.

Edited by gspanos, 17 February 2017 - 04:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users