tedmcginn

Missing Usb Video Capture Option

Question

I have been using Creator 2010 to do video capture for movies and download from an older camera using the usb adapter that came with the software. Tis was replaced a few years ago with the same model. I have also purchased the model form vhs to dvd as it was on sale.

My issue is I haven't used it in a couple of months and my laptop did a big update and the usb option in the video capture has disappeared. I only show vcd and web cam option. this happened once before, a years ago and I can't remember what we did to fix it. we downloaded a file and I don't know if it was copied from the program disk or from web site. And other than not finding any thing in my download files I'm at a loss.

while we are on the subject can I do this using nxt-4? using either hardware? will the program automatically sense the usb video card?

can you help? this is probably in wrong forum but forums in 2010 would not let me start a new topic.

I running windows 7 64 bit creator 2010 with updates that were available when I bought it.

thanks

ted

21 answers to this question

and my laptop did a big update and the usb option in the video capture has disappeared.

Well, at least you know the answer to one of your problems.

Edited by grandpabruce

? There have been a few Video Capture Devices that work on USB.

It really isn't too likely that Windows updates removed anything you need but you never know :lol:

How about looking in your Device Manager Sound, Video and Game Controllers, both Before and After plugging in this device?

It should look like this (if I guessed right):

post-39730-0-57873500-1487694596_thumb.jpg

Do either of these look like your device? If so, which one?

post-39730-0-55385800-1487694906_thumb.jpg

NXT 4 & 5 are just not like the Suite you are used to. You would not be happy with them :(

I have no idea why the selection disappeared. Just looking at what changed between the last time I used program a few weeks ago and now.

things always work different after any kind of update.

USB devices: I now have both. I picked up the newer one with pig tail at the usb end to reduce tension on the port. and to see if the original one went bad.

device manager lists the devices as "usb composite device" It does not appear Roxio is loading drive but microsft may be?????

how would I get proper driver? as to nxt 4 not looking like what I'm used to i'll live with it as long as it works.

I had to get used to changes when I upgraded from 5 to 2010 to nxt4. all different and supposedly better and "more functional and smoother"

great ad hhype....

I just want something that works so I can copy from my dvr to disk with decent definition.

The instillation requires a proper sequence... Software has to be installed before the device is ever plugged in!!! Otherwise Windows will install the wrong driver and it is locked into place :huh:

Use the newer one only! The older one won't work in Win 7, 8 or 10. Open the Device Manager again with the device plugged in and Uninstall both entries in there.

Then remove the device and just to be safe, place it in another room. Reboot the PC and start an install of the EVD Software. Only choose Repair when it is offered. Reboot and go get your device.

It should work now in both EVD as well as Creator 2010

I'm back again a year later with same issue. auto update done for computer and usb selection on video capture gone and this time I cant get it back

I deleted the driver form device controller as before and re-installed it with Creator 10 special edition set to repair.(took forever!) plugged in device (HU3180-el) and webcam and vdp source are only options

computer is Dell inspire laptop running window7 64 bit connecting to dish  hopper rca connectors. I believe hdmi connector on laptop is output only

I am not sure that the drivers would even be on the Dell Creator 10 SE... You need the disc with the Easy VHS to DVD.

You would need to delete anything in Device Manager - Sound, video and game controllers. Then unplug the device and install the EVD Software. Reboot and it should work.

I would also suggest turning off auto update.  I would also suggest that, once you get it up and running, you backup that drive or clone it.

i'll try again. I thought about the evd having the file but it did not want to run. kept telling me there was "a newer version installed." possible conflicts from creator or nxt?

very possible I forgot to restart at each step. will keep you posted.

no luck. I remove device from device manager, restart. try to repair through program manager and nothing seems to happen

is there somewhere else the device will install because if I plug it in, windows will acknowledge it and install it to device manager, but none of the Roxio programs will see it

via capture video. 

not to add more potential problems is nxt6 any better? or alternate program and/or device  that would work as well? I cant seem to fix it this time.

when it worked it worked pretty seamlessly.

how do I do a is it called a setback where I take computer back to see if one was logged at the update? doesn't usually but worth a look.

It is called a Restore and don't do that please.

Do you have the EVD install disc?

With the USB Capture Device installed, remove any references to it from the Device Manager.

Then make sure you remove the USB Capture Device and hide it!

Reboot the PC. Use the EVD and install or repair it. (always do repair from the disc's install program and not Windows)

Don't do any updates either while installing or after reboot.

Edited by Jim_Hardin

I found the Roxio USB device in the sounds games area of the device manager and deleted it then removed and restarted.

my problem now is the disc starts setup tells me I have a newer ver already installed and goes nonresponsive. I even tried to uninstall the program to no avail.

that was when I considered looking for a restore point prior to the updates when things were working. but I don't set them and I don't think they are programmed occur regularly.

really frustrated.

You did not specify What Software is on this 'disc'...

I was referring to the Easy VHS to DVD software disc and NOT the Creator 2010.

Got it!

Try copying all the files on the EVD disc to a new folder on your PC. Then run the install (setup.exe) from there.

next update to answer earlier question I missed it is EVD3 plus/st

I copied disc folders and files to a new folder, ran setup got error messages could not run internet. opened ie and minimized, solved that

then next screen was key # entered gave me not valid, re-entered (was correct) and could not validate. stuck there .

is it possible the different versions of evd, creator and nxt4 are starting to compete creating the hiccups? need to get system cleaned out and do a clean install of

creator 10 special (worked best for me, never got nxt to work right and forum recommended staying with creator 10) and evd for driver I have dell software service and they do a pretty good job when I've had trouble in past.

Click on the red Roxio at the upper left corner of the screen. Then look for My Account on the right.

Click My Account and enter the email & password you use here.

That will take you to the license keys for all your Roxio products. In there make sure you have the one for EVD correct! Then try again ;)

To your question, no, EVD conflicts with nothing. It has always been a pretty trouble free install.

yeh, its the same number I have on the disc sleeve it came in. never had soooo much trouble with a re-install or repair. I cant even uninstall it.

I would uninstall both EVD as well as Creator 2010

Download and install the Revo Uninstaller. Then run it in Moderate Mode to remove any traces of Roxio.

Then turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Now insert your EVD Roxio Disc.

Don’t do any updates at this time (get it running first)

When the Install completes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.[/indent]

Now install Creator 2010.