rthurlow

Roxio Creator 2010 Pro - Blu-Ray Burning Speed

Question

One more while I'm here. I transfer shows to save over from my Tivo and burn them, I am pretty boring.

Roxio Creator 2010 Pro burns DVDs pretty well on my system, but Blu-Ray is pretty awful - 10 hours to author, and no way to ask it to burn a second copy on those rare times when it might be nice. Ouch.

My machine is not really great, I'm aware - I have a Quad-core Core i5 with (hold your breath) integrated graphics, no add-in card.

Simply for bang for the buck, would it be more effective to upgrade to the newest Roxio for better algorithms, or buy a graphics card to get some GPU help with the rendering? What's a sweet spot that would cut the time down nicely without any real diminishing returns?

Thanks,

Rob T

8 answers to this question

As far as time, there is not much that is going to make great changes :huh:

I would have expected more from that processor but there is a lot more to look at... You did not list your OS or other computer specs.

Press Win - Pause: In System it will give you a Windows Experience Index number. Also you will see the CPU speed x.xx GHZ. And the Installed memory (RAM)

This along with the Free Space on your HDD (Start - Computer) and we will have a good picture.

One thing I would try for sure. In VideoWave or MyDVD go to Tools - Options - Render and make sure it is set for Software. Then try rendering something short to see if speed improves.

Of interest would be more information about your Projects. You mention burning BD's but are they needed? If your source isn't HD resolution you gain nothing by outputting to BD. There are some tricks to improve how much TIME will fit on a BD but tell us more before we get into that ;)

As far as time, there is not much that is going to make great changes :huh:

I would have expected more from that processor but there is a lot more to look at... You did not list your OS or other computer specs.

Press Win - Pause: In System it will give you a Windows Experience Index number. Also you will see the CPU speed x.xx GHZ. And the Installed memory (RAM)

This along with the Free Space on your HDD (Start - Computer) and we will have a good picture.

One thing I would try for sure. In VideoWave or MyDVD go to Tools - Options - Render and make sure it is set for Software. Then try rendering something short to see if speed improves.

Of interest would be more information about your Projects. You mention burning BD's but are they needed? If your source isn't HD resolution you gain nothing by outputting to BD. There are some tricks to improve how much TIME will fit on a BD but tell us more before we get into that ;)

Hi Jim, thanks.

More info:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP 1 (also have a Pro license around)

Gateway DX4860, Intel Core i5-2300 @ 2.8GHz, 8Gb RAM

Windows Experience Index 4.7

Free space on boot drive is about 560Gb, 350Gb used

Interesting about software rendering - I saw that in the menus but never experimented with it. I'm sure it's set for hardware right now.

As far as projects, a very typical and relevant thing is "Nova" or "Nature" episodes of note from my Tivo Premiere. I decide whether I want something at all, and if it merits HD. I'm doing more with HD as media prices have fallen. It's going to take me longer to burn my backlog than to watch it by a factor of about 4 :-)

As far as projects, a very typical and relevant thing is "Nova" or "Nature" episodes of note from my Tivo Premiere. I decide whether I want something at all, and if it merits HD. I'm doing more with HD as media prices have fallen. It's going to take me longer to burn my backlog than to watch it by a factor of about 4 :-)

Projects: BUT... what is the resolution of the Tivo captures/conversions??? If they are 720 X 480 you are just wasting time and space and media by burning them as 1920 X 1080 :o

With Windows Explorer, right click a Source file and select Properties. Then click on the Details tab. Of interest will be - Frame width and height as well as Total bitrate.

I am guessing you are burning them as BD Movies with Menus etc.?

PC: Specs look good, I have one around here about the same as that. I would expect that PC to pretty well be able to do a 1:1 render. 1 minute of render time for each minute of Project time. Maybe a little less but not to the extreme you cite. But the example of resolution I cited above will have a large impact on time. If you are rendering to a resolution that greatly different than your source, it will really increase time.

Use a short, 5 minute, sample and time the rendering in both Software and Hardware to see the difference. (may also see a difference in the response of VideoWave.

Projects: BUT... what is the resolution of the Tivo captures/conversions??? If they are 720 X 480 you are just wasting time and space and media by burning them as 1920 X 1080 :o

With Windows Explorer, right click a Source file and select Properties. Then click on the Details tab. Of interest will be - Frame width and height as well as Total bitrate.

I am guessing you are burning them as BD Movies with Menus etc.?

PC: Specs look good, I have one around here about the same as that. I would expect that PC to pretty well be able to do a 1:1 render. 1 minute of render time for each minute of Project time. Maybe a little less but not to the extreme you cite. But the example of resolution I cited above will have a large impact on time. If you are rendering to a resolution that greatly different than your source, it will really increase time.

Use a short, 5 minute, sample and time the rendering in both Software and Hardware to see the difference. (may also see a difference in the response of VideoWave.

The vast majority of the stuff I burn is from PBS, which is 1920x1080 @ 29.97fps - I just looked at a Nova, and the header bitrate it reporting as 19.4Mbps. Another project is some captures from a set-top-box via an Avermedia ER130 capture box; those files are also 1080i at more like 15Mbps. I am sure I have done a little upconversion in my day, but I can't remember the last time I did that.

I still need to try software encoding. I started a new project last night, and I neglected to try it, and it's still running. In my defense, I was tired as anything last night :-)

PC: Specs look good, I have one around here about the same as that. I would expect that PC to pretty well be able to do a 1:1 render. 1 minute of render time for each minute of Project time. Maybe a little less but not to the extreme you cite.

I started a new project last night, and I neglected to try it, and it's still running.

Something doesn't sound right if it's been running since last evening!

Hmm, output format - I am not sure what to check. It's a Blu-Ray or sometimes an AVCHD project, quality "same as original". What should I check if that's not what you were asking?

I ran that test - software rendering didn't make a difference that I can tell. It finished the rendering ("Encode Movie") of a 2:55 clip in a bit over 9 minutes, or about 10:45 for the entire burn to an ISO file, with either hardware or software. That fits with my three-hour Blu-Rays taking 10 hours to author. Sigh.

Edited by rthurlow

Can't really do much more with this, try to get a friend to try it on their PC and see what happens.