Roxio Community

Photo

Will Mpeg Files (On External Hard Drive) Play On Tv?

mpeg external hard drive TV

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HerbieX2

HerbieX2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

I just bought this product (Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus) and am in the process of converting some VHS tapes and saving the MPEG files to an external hard drive. I'm doing this for some different friends so I need to make sure they'll be able to watch their videos. Is MPEG the right format for viewing on a TV, assuming it has a USB port? Thanks for any help.

Edited by HerbieX2, 04 March 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#2 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,630 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

I just bought this product (Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus) and am in the process of converting some VHS tapes and saving the MPEG files to an external hard drive. I'm doing this for some different friends so I need to make sure they'll be able to watch their videos. Is MPEG the right format for viewing on a TV, assuming it has a USB port? Thanks for any help.

Loaded question.  It depends on what their television can show.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

#3 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,522 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:18 AM

As GPB mentioned, your TV is what decides what format is acceptable, check the manual or test it.

I just slapped some short files onto a USB and found my Samsung was happy with, mpg, mp4, mov but balked on wmv.

Just make up a little 10 second clip and Export it in various formats and try them. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mpeg, external hard drive, TV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users