reble

Question About An Email Alert On This Forum

Question

What about posting my Amateur Radio call letters next to my 1st name in the signature block? When my call letters are typed into places like Google search engine. There is tons of info out there that pops up on many web pages about me.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

5 answers to this question

Do what you want but be ready to suffer the consequences ! :P

Spambots are looking to easy pickings - automatically looking for your email address (the little @ sign). There is no one at the spam location to get your callsign and search for you --- or is there? :huh:

ANYTHING you post is open to the entire world. (NSA included :lol: )

If you post enough things in different places that can be linked by a common trace back to you (call sign for example), automated systems can build quite a picture of you.

As a radio operator you know that anything going out is completely public to anyone within the Galaxy.

We don't have to wear tinfoil hats but we do need to be aware of what we are giving away for others to harvest ;)

I didn't know that there was no one at the spam location to get my call sign. That's why I was asking. And yes I do not put my email address out in any public forum.

Do what you want but be ready to suffer the consequences ! :P

Spambots are looking to easy pickings - automatically looking for your email address (the little @ sign). There is no one at the spam location to get your callsign and search for you --- or is there? :huh:

And yes I do not put my email address out in any public forum.

Do you know how many good folks that help at church for a event or help with youth T ball leagues and the like, someone lists there name, cell number, and or email address in a publication about said event that gets listed on the net!

Google your call sign isn't it public record?

I have a 'DOT' number for my business search a certain phone number or email on Google and it will link to the DOT public info and you have the skinny on me. :rolleyes:

The email address you use to log in to this forum is kept secure by the company that runs the forum - even the Gurus/Moderators don't see it.

It's only when you mention it in a public post that your email address can be "harvested".