18 replies to this topic

#1 W.J.

W.J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

Hello Easy people...

I - and your grandfather - still use Adaptec EZ CD version 5.

But I want to advance into the 21st century (and junk my old raggedy XP desktop that allows me to run EZ CD).

There are a couple of features that I MUST have...and I am not confident that the newest version of Roxio CD has them.

One is the ability to listen to any applied fades/overlay transitions between tracks before I burn.

Some of my transitions have to have EXACT precision, so I want to hear the transition (speakers or headphones) so that I can make any necessary adjustments before I burn through a spindle of CDs.

Is this an available feature in the newest version of the software?

And just from going through the Roxio website I'm not sure which software package I should be interested in.

I just do audio...don't need video functionality or anything else.

What do you folks think?

Thanks...

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,350 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:32 AM

I don't dabble in audio but someone who does should be around today or so.

This is a user board so it isn't staffed by Roxio ;)

#3 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,322 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:07 AM

I doubt that Roxio's "Record Now" will give you what you need but it will be the best program from Roxio/Corel for music. Unfortunately, there is no free trial but you can get a refund within 30 days of purchase.

Take a look at "Goldwave"(link)   I have used it to do a lot with editing music files and it gives you a lot of options.  There is a free trial.  That program, however does not allow you to burn to any media. There are programs that will allow you to burn including Windows Media Player (free and probably on that new computer).

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#4 W.J.

W.J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

Thank you Jim_Hardin and Sknis...

Unfortunately Windows Media Player doesn't output to CDA format...which is what I'm doing.

The description of the newest Roxio Easy CD says that I CAN do fades and overlays...but it's not specific whether I can monitor/preview the results BEFORE I burn. 

I didn't know about the 30-day money back thing...but I suspect it's a whole lot easier to GIVE money away than it is to get it back!  (hee-hee)

But I may try it...thanks.

#5 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,905 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

Unfortunately Windows Media Player doesn't output to CDA format...which is what I'm doing.

CDA files contain no music, it only points to where the music is located on the CD.

To work with music tracks on your CD you need first to convert them to .WAV, .MP3 or another file format that computers understand. That's what a CD ripper does and that's why you must use a ripper before you can work with your music files on a computer. Simple as that.

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#6 W.J.

W.J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

Hello CDANTEEK...

Yes...I already convert whatever I have to WAV files for editing purposes (I have an editor I like) and then go to Adaptec's EZ version 5 to build my 'playlist' and add transition effects (such as fades and overlays).   Within that playlist 'build' function I can listen to the fades/overlays...then re-apply the effects if needed...then that same function does the actual burn.

I was just leaving out all the in-between stuff so I didn't bore you.

#7 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,905 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

Windows Media Player doesn't output to CDA format

Windows media player will burn a audio CD that CD will contain CDA files.

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#8 W.J.

W.J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

To further clarify...the adding of fades/overlays in the Adaptec software does not change the INPUT source files...the transitions are applied only during the actual burning.

#9 W.J.

W.J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

Sorry CDANTEEk...we cross-posted.

WMP WILL create the CDA file?

I hadn't seen that ability...but I'll go back and dig deeper.

Thanks...

#10 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,905 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

You need to have a read about, https://en.wikipedia...c_Digital_Audio

cd

Spoiler

#11 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,350 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

I don't know if this will help, the uninformed answering questions about which he knows nothing :P

There are two programs in audio that will give what you want or part of it (I think)

There is the very simple Burn Audio CD app that will allow you to arrange order and set the pre-gap times. It will then burn a valid Audio CD.

Audio 1.jpg

Audio 2.jpg

More to your liking might be Create Music Disc Projects. This allows you to create several projects types and gives you an editor.

Audio 3.jpg

Audio 4.jpg

And will allow you to set the Transition type as well as the time and how it will work:

Audio 5.jpg

Audio 6.jpg

Audio 7.jpg

I don't really do audio but you might want to look around a bit to make sure this will do what you need ;)

#12 W.J.

W.J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Jim_Hardin -

Hey!   This looks very promising.

I'm gonna' give it a shot.

But...uhhh.....Billy J Kramer?   Freddie and the Dreamers?   Swingin Blue Jeans?

1965 comes alive!!

Thanks very much...

#13 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,350 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:00 AM

And to think, that was AFTER I graduated from High School :wacko:

#14 W.J.

W.J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

Hey Jim_Hardin...

I paid my money and took my chance on your suggestion.....and......

...it works perfectly!

Admittedly the new version is clunkier than the old Adaptec software...but that's because it has more features and tries to do a bunch more stuff.

But I was able to rip tracks from a CD...convert mp3's that I had already accumulated (into WAV), edit them for volume and garbage I didn't want and apply my precious fades/gaps/overlays. 

And I had to look in the HELP files only twice!

That's intuitive - at MY house, anyway.

If YOU can figure something out on your own, then it's intuitive to YOU.   If I can't figure it out it's NOT intuitive to me. 

I still haven't beaten the label creator into submission yet but an old forum post recommended SureThing for labels/inserts so I'm checking that out. 

The only thing I haven't tried is recording from vinyl, but even if I'm defeated there I have other software for that purpose.

Thanks to the forum-ites...tremendous help.

#15 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,113 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

Hello WJ,

Before you go spending more money, what is it that the Label Creator  won't do for you?

Which Operating System are you using?

If you have any favorite ECDC 5 jwl files, you might want to hang on to them.

lc in 10.jpg

Regards,

Brendon

Assorted computers in Windows XP, 7, and 10.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

#16 W.J.

W.J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Brendon -

I'm running Win7 Home Premium.

I print only the back cover of a CD case (the song list). 

The software I just bought appears to have only 1 template for that, and based on the print preview that template is not wide enough to keep longer titles/artists from wrapping to the next line. 

I want title/artist/track time on 1 line.

I just spent a few minutes experimenting and doesn't seem that I can increase the size of that template.

ECDC 5 had quite a few canned templates (as your screen shot shows) and I used the CD Stomper template.

I haven't investigated whether I can go to the Roxio website - or someplace else -  and download additional templates. 

#17 W.J.

W.J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

After my previous comment I spent some more time with the editor...and I think I got it. 

I convinced it to print everything for each track on one line....but right now I'm embarrassed to report that I don't know what I did to get it to do that.   Big help, huh?

I'll try to re-trace my footsteps on that.

I haven't cut out a label - but it does appear to fit nicely in a standard CD case.

I need to get rid of the 'CD AUDIO R' logo it wants to print on the insert...that's my next assignment.

You folks may drag me to the finish line yet!

Thanks...

#18 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,113 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:22 AM

I've got the ECDC 5 label creator running in Windows 10 (above), so it should also run in Windows 7 Home Premium. I can show you how, if you want.

I think I also have Easy CD & DVD Burning running in Windows 7 somewhere. Removing the logo is quite easy in this software, I think. (unlike ECDC 5)

I'll fire it up to refresh my memory and come back soon to tell you how.

Regards,

Brendon

Edit:  Yes, it was as I remember it. You have to use the Roxio Label Creator (Create Labels - Advanced) since the other wee thing is over-simplified.

Then right-click on the unwanted logo, and click Del to hide it.

Anything else? (grin)

Edited by Brendon, 17 March 2017 - 12:33 AM.

Assorted computers in Windows XP, 7, and 10.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

#19 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,350 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:50 AM

Nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users