ForestRaven

Nxt2 Won't Start On Win7

Question

I have been using NXT2 on a Win7 computer for some months. It has worked without a glitch burning mp3s and video discs with no problems.

Now, all of a sudden, it refuses to open. It will appear to do so with the usual splash screen. An icon will show up on the taskbar. When I roll the mouse over it, the miniature of the Roxio desktop will show up. But that's it. No amount of clicking on the icon gets it to do anything more.

I deleted and re-installed the program and that has had no effect. I have found over the years with various incarnations of the program, that it can suddenly start having problems with no obvious reason. Usually re-installing solved the problem but not this time.

(I just posted another item because, in the meantime, I put the program on my Win8.1 so I could get things done and, while it runs on that computer, it either doesn't burn the discs or burns faulty ones. Go figure)

Any suggestions on fixing this would be welcome.

16 answers to this question

First off, I don't get any error messages about any missing .dll files. It just simply won't start up. So I had no way of knowing if the pin you mentioned was relevant to my problem.

Secondly, the link you give under "HERE" only gives me a server not found error.

Yes I did see your other topic and that you aren't answering questions...

Sorry but that is all I got.

Sorry, Jim. I don't spend a whole lot of time of the internet. All I have is VERY expensive and very limited WIFI service. I do appreciate the answers I get. But it does take time for me to get back to people. If you have a problem with that, I'm sorry.

Another long shot, you could try doing a System Restore to a date before your problems started.

• Like 1

When you reinstalled did you install the software to a administrator account?

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

Jims here link, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Install Instructions
Click the Download button on this page to start the download, or choose a different language from the drop-down list and click Go.
Do one of the following:
To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.

I would "Save or Save this program to disk" disconnect from the Internet shutdown all running programs and then install.

Edited by cdanteek

Thank you, Ogdens, I will try the system restore and see if that helps at all.

Cdanteek, I have the physical disk not a download. The one login to the computer is set up as an administrator so I'm assuming that installing from the disk to an administrator account would be sufficient. Unless I'm missing something here.

Thank you, Ogdens, I will try the system restore and see if that helps at all.

Cdanteek, I have the physical disk not a download. The one login to the computer is set up as an administrator so I'm assuming that installing from the disk to an administrator account would be sufficient. Unless I'm missing something here.

1. The download is for 'DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer' not your Roxio Software.

2. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts, will tell you if it's a administrator account.

The DirectX is the up to date one and my account is shown as administrator.

Tried System Restore. It kept saying that it couldn't restore but it gummed up some of my programs anyway. Tried more than one restore point with the same results. When I restored to the original point, everything straightened out again but Roxio would not work in any setting.

Put your Roxio disc in and run it choose repair when offered reboot when finished.

It isn't a up to date version but it is one Roxio needs to run!

Version:

File Name:

dxwebsetup.exe

Date Published:

4/18/2011

File Size:

286 KB

• Like 1

If it's such an older version, will installing it muck up other programs that might need a more up-to-date version? I don't want to create any more headaches with this blasted computer than I already have.

If it's such an older version, will installing it muck up other programs that might need a more up-to-date version? I don't want to create any more headaches with this blasted computer than I already have.

Here is a look at what I have installed for directx some go back to 2010, and that is on W-7 Ultimate x64.

post-97-0-67471900-1490571332_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you!

If I live long enough I might start figuring out computers! LOL

Don't bet on that, ForestRaven. :)

I've been at it for more years than I'd like to count, and every time I think I'm finally nearly getting there they invent something new and I find myself back at the start of the queue.