31 replies to this topic

#1 Dys

Dys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

So as the title suggests, I am trying to set up a capture from a gaming console to my PC. I can get the image to show in OBS on the PC (albeit without sound, though that's another issue for another time) but not on my monitor. The specifics of how I have this set up are listed below:

Console: Nintendo Switch ->

Roxio HD Pro - >

Laptop & Monitor (Acer G205H)

The cable being used from Roxio to the monitor is an HDMI - DVI cable. The monitor should have HDCP support (This link claims it does: https://www.bhphotov...Edition_20.html).

If going directly from the Switch to the monitor, the video shows perfectly fine.
From Roxio to the monitor, however, the screen is generally black. I say "generally" because a couple of times it flashed an "Input not Supported" message before turning black. 
From what research into this message I've done as it relates to Capture Cards, it seems that this is due to a resolution issue. I've changed the native resolution of the Switch to test all three of its options (1080p, 720p, and 480p) yet none of them worked, and considering that going directly from the Switch to the monitor works, I do not believe that this is a resolution issue (though I could be wrong). 

Not sure what the cause is here, so I would really appreciate some guidance/help before going out to buy different wires or HDMI Splitters or w/e else comes to mind to test this and end up just wasting money.

Thank you.

~Dys

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,265 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:23 AM

Resolution would only figure in if you were using something that the monitor didn't have.

WHAT cable is going from the Nintendo to the RGC HD?

HDMI to DVI is also a question mark. Have you used that cable and converter with success before?

HDCP is not a sign of 100% compatibility. There are a few variations in those signal but that is pretty uncommon.

#3 Dys

Dys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:15 AM

Resolution would only figure in if you were using something that the monitor didn't have.

WHAT cable is going from the Nintendo to the RGC HD?

HDMI to DVI is also a question mark. Have you used that cable and converter with success before?

HDCP is not a sign of 100% compatibility. There are a few variations in those signal but that is pretty uncommon.

The cable from the Switch to Roxio is an HDMI cable (both in and out)

The HDMI to DVI cable is the same one that I've used for years for connecting my laptop to the second monitor, so I know the cable works.

#4 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,997 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:04 AM

In the Switch settings make sure you do not have the TV setting on Automatic. Set it to 720p.

Roxio has problems with other (PS4) consoles when they are set to Automatic.

#5 Dys

Dys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

In the Switch settings make sure you do not have the TV setting on Automatic. Set it to 720p.

Roxio has problems with other (PS4) consoles when they are set to Automatic.

I did that with each of the resolution settings and it did nothing. I will, however, for future tests, set it to 720p just to avoid any issues related to being on "Automatic," so thank you for that tip.

#6 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,997 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

As a test,  try using another source of HDMI, a DVD/Camcorder/ PC output.

#7 Dys

Dys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

As a test,  try using another source of HDMI, a DVD/Camcorder/ PC output.

The PC output from my laptop to my monitor using the very same cable works perfectly fine (and has for over 4 years). That same cable also works fine directly connecting to the Switch. I'm not sure why Roxio isn't working with it (or if that is even the cause of this).

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,265 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

THAT is why you need to test with a different source!

What it did yesterday is not really too important. You made a change and now it doesn't work and we are trying to find out why ;)

#9 Dys

Dys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

THAT is why you need to test with a different source!

What it did yesterday is not really too important. You made a change and now it doesn't work and we are trying to find out why ;)

Well, it is working now (as in I am using that very cord right now to read/write this on that very monitor).
I would love to test it on more stuff; however, I don't actually have anything else to connect to it other than my PC and the Switch. 

#10 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,997 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

Borrow a DVD Player from a neighbor/relative/co-worker/ or does your computer have a HDMI jack. Then plug that into your Roxio capture card input.

Edited by ogdens, 05 April 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#11 Dys

Dys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Borrow a DVD from a neighbor/relative/co-worker/does your computer have a HDMI jack. Then plug that into your

Roxio capture card input

So I plugged the HDMI Out of my Laptop into the HDMI In of Roxio and then fed the HDMI Out of Roxio into my monitor and got a "No Signal" Message on my monitor and then simply a black screen. 
For my laptop, all I got was a completely screwed up resolution (it just changed on its own). It recognizes that something is connected, but obviously, it has no idea how to work with it since it isn't an actual display.
In the end, the monitor is still only showing a black screen.

#12 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

Under Device Manager, Other Devices & Sound Video and Game Controllers, what do you show with the Roxio Device plugged in?

RGC Wrong Driver Transcoder.jpg

rp1.jpg

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#13 Dys

Dys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Under Device Manager, Other Devices & Sound Video and Game Controllers, what do you show with the Roxio Device plugged in?

I assume you mean when plugged in via USB and not the HDMI Test.
When plugged in via USB, under "Sound Video and Game Controllers" I see "Roxio GameCap HD Pro." Under "Other Devices" (as you have a picture showing that, so I figured to look there, too), I only see "USB Controller" and two "Unknown Devices." The only USB items plugged into my laptop are my external HD, Roxio currently, and my mouse.

#14 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:52 AM

With Device manager open and you watching unplug the Roxio USB Device and tell us if any unknown device disappears?

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#15 Dys

Dys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

With Device manager open and you watching unplug the Roxio USB Device and tell us if any unknown device disappears?

None of the unknown devices disappear. They are all present when Roxio is unplugged. The only thing that disappears is "Roxio GameCap HD Pro" from the "Sound, video and game controllers" section as would be expected.

#16 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

Are any of the unknown devices TRANSCODER?

cd

Spoiler

#17 Dys

Dys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

Are any of the unknown devices TRANSCODER?

Nope. Didn't see anything saying that. I installed the software that comes along with Roxio before even trying to use it, just in case that makes a difference (even though I intend to use OBS and not the capturing software from Roxio).

#18 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,778 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:51 AM

So, from my reading through this, it sounds to me that the HDCP from the RGC HD Pro is the issue.  None of the other sources that have been used would likely have HDCP on them.  And if you can plug the adapter directly into the Nintendo unit and get a good signal on the monitor, then put the RGC HD Pro in the signal path, and get video on the monitoring PC, but nothing on the Monitor, the difference would be the HDCP added by the RGC HD Pro.  At that point, I'd say put an HDMI splitter on the output of the Nintendo and take that signal directly to the Monitor.

Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you'll suck forever. - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 750 TI video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer | ASUS-12B1ST Blu-Ray writer | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 7610 all-in-one printer/scanner | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

Instructions for posting images in your post.
Contact Roxio/Corel Support to reset your Key after too many install attempts

#19 Dys

Dys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

So, from my reading through this, it sounds to me that the HDCP from the RGC HD Pro is the issue.  None of the other sources that have been used would likely have HDCP on them.  And if you can plug the adapter directly into the Nintendo unit and get a good signal on the monitor, then put the RGC HD Pro in the signal path, and get video on the monitoring PC, but nothing on the Monitor, the difference would be the HDCP added by the RGC HD Pro.  At that point, I'd say put an HDMI splitter on the output of the Nintendo and take that signal directly to the Monitor.

That was what I was worried about, but if it's just as simple as using an HDMI Splitter, then that is fine as I can get one pretty cheaply.

#20 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,997 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Hope the splitter works for you :).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roxio, monitor, hdmi, black screen, no display, dvi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users