Dys

Monitor Not Displaying Capture From Roxio Hd Pro

Question

So as the title suggests, I am trying to set up a capture from a gaming console to my PC. I can get the image to show in OBS on the PC (albeit without sound, though that's another issue for another time) but not on my monitor. The specifics of how I have this set up are listed below:

Console: Nintendo Switch ->

Roxio HD Pro - >

Laptop & Monitor (Acer G205H)

The cable being used from Roxio to the monitor is an HDMI - DVI cable. The monitor should have HDCP support (This link claims it does: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/720993-REG/Acer_ET_DG5HP_001_G205H_Special_Edition_20.html).

If going directly from the Switch to the monitor, the video shows perfectly fine.
From Roxio to the monitor, however, the screen is generally black. I say "generally" because a couple of times it flashed an "Input not Supported" message before turning black.
From what research into this message I've done as it relates to Capture Cards, it seems that this is due to a resolution issue. I've changed the native resolution of the Switch to test all three of its options (1080p, 720p, and 480p) yet none of them worked, and considering that going directly from the Switch to the monitor works, I do not believe that this is a resolution issue (though I could be wrong).

Not sure what the cause is here, so I would really appreciate some guidance/help before going out to buy different wires or HDMI Splitters or w/e else comes to mind to test this and end up just wasting money.

Thank you.

~Dys

31 answers to this question

Resolution would only figure in if you were using something that the monitor didn't have.

WHAT cable is going from the Nintendo to the RGC HD?

HDMI to DVI is also a question mark. Have you used that cable and converter with success before?

HDCP is not a sign of 100% compatibility. There are a few variations in those signal but that is pretty uncommon.

Resolution would only figure in if you were using something that the monitor didn't have.

WHAT cable is going from the Nintendo to the RGC HD?

HDMI to DVI is also a question mark. Have you used that cable and converter with success before?

HDCP is not a sign of 100% compatibility. There are a few variations in those signal but that is pretty uncommon.

The cable from the Switch to Roxio is an HDMI cable (both in and out)

The HDMI to DVI cable is the same one that I've used for years for connecting my laptop to the second monitor, so I know the cable works.

In the Switch settings make sure you do not have the TV setting on Automatic. Set it to 720p.

Roxio has problems with other (PS4) consoles when they are set to Automatic.

In the Switch settings make sure you do not have the TV setting on Automatic. Set it to 720p.

Roxio has problems with other (PS4) consoles when they are set to Automatic.

I did that with each of the resolution settings and it did nothing. I will, however, for future tests, set it to 720p just to avoid any issues related to being on "Automatic," so thank you for that tip.

As a test, try using another source of HDMI, a DVD/Camcorder/ PC output.

As a test, try using another source of HDMI, a DVD/Camcorder/ PC output.

The PC output from my laptop to my monitor using the very same cable works perfectly fine (and has for over 4 years). That same cable also works fine directly connecting to the Switch. I'm not sure why Roxio isn't working with it (or if that is even the cause of this).

THAT is why you need to test with a different source!

What it did yesterday is not really too important. You made a change and now it doesn't work and we are trying to find out why ;)

THAT is why you need to test with a different source!

What it did yesterday is not really too important. You made a change and now it doesn't work and we are trying to find out why ;)

Well, it is working now (as in I am using that very cord right now to read/write this on that very monitor).

I would love to test it on more stuff; however, I don't actually have anything else to connect to it other than my PC and the Switch.

Borrow a DVD Player from a neighbor/relative/co-worker/ or does your computer have a HDMI jack. Then plug that into your Roxio capture card input.

Edited by ogdens

Borrow a DVD from a neighbor/relative/co-worker/does your computer have a HDMI jack. Then plug that into your

Roxio capture card input

So I plugged the HDMI Out of my Laptop into the HDMI In of Roxio and then fed the HDMI Out of Roxio into my monitor and got a "No Signal" Message on my monitor and then simply a black screen.

For my laptop, all I got was a completely screwed up resolution (it just changed on its own). It recognizes that something is connected, but obviously, it has no idea how to work with it since it isn't an actual display.

In the end, the monitor is still only showing a black screen.

Under Device Manager, Other Devices & Sound Video and Game Controllers, what do you show with the Roxio Device plugged in?

post-97-0-37948200-1491435136_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-09203900-1491435061_thumb.jpg

Under Device Manager, Other Devices & Sound Video and Game Controllers, what do you show with the Roxio Device plugged in?

I assume you mean when plugged in via USB and not the HDMI Test.

When plugged in via USB, under "Sound Video and Game Controllers" I see "Roxio GameCap HD Pro." Under "Other Devices" (as you have a picture showing that, so I figured to look there, too), I only see "USB Controller" and two "Unknown Devices." The only USB items plugged into my laptop are my external HD, Roxio currently, and my mouse.

With Device manager open and you watching unplug the Roxio USB Device and tell us if any unknown device disappears?

With Device manager open and you watching unplug the Roxio USB Device and tell us if any unknown device disappears?

None of the unknown devices disappear. They are all present when Roxio is unplugged. The only thing that disappears is "Roxio GameCap HD Pro" from the "Sound, video and game controllers" section as would be expected.

Are any of the unknown devices TRANSCODER?

Are any of the unknown devices TRANSCODER?

Nope. Didn't see anything saying that. I installed the software that comes along with Roxio before even trying to use it, just in case that makes a difference (even though I intend to use OBS and not the capturing software from Roxio).

So, from my reading through this, it sounds to me that the HDCP from the RGC HD Pro is the issue. None of the other sources that have been used would likely have HDCP on them. And if you can plug the adapter directly into the Nintendo unit and get a good signal on the monitor, then put the RGC HD Pro in the signal path, and get video on the monitoring PC, but nothing on the Monitor, the difference would be the HDCP added by the RGC HD Pro. At that point, I'd say put an HDMI splitter on the output of the Nintendo and take that signal directly to the Monitor.

So, from my reading through this, it sounds to me that the HDCP from the RGC HD Pro is the issue. None of the other sources that have been used would likely have HDCP on them. And if you can plug the adapter directly into the Nintendo unit and get a good signal on the monitor, then put the RGC HD Pro in the signal path, and get video on the monitoring PC, but nothing on the Monitor, the difference would be the HDCP added by the RGC HD Pro. At that point, I'd say put an HDMI splitter on the output of the Nintendo and take that signal directly to the Monitor.

That was what I was worried about, but if it's just as simple as using an HDMI Splitter, then that is fine as I can get one pretty cheaply.

Hope the splitter works for you :).

Hope the splitter works for you :).

Thanks, me too. I'll make sure to post how it works when it arrives on Monday.

Update: So I got my HDMI Splitter and am still having the same issue.
I am going directly from the Switch to the HDMI Splitter. Then from the splitter to my monitor and to Roxio's input.
When Roxio is connected to the splitter, the monitor goes black. When it is not, the monitor works fine.
How the hell is the Roxio getting an HDMI output from the splitter causing it to make my monitor black? How does it even do that, and how do I fix this? I've been working with this thing for over 2 weeks now, and I'm frankly getting annoyed with what essentially amounts to a bad product.

What splitter did you get? (Link, please.) When you have both the monitor and the Roxio device connected to the splitter, do you get an image to capture through the Roxio device? Or do neither work?

What splitter did you get? (Link, please.) When you have both the monitor and the Roxio device connected to the splitter, do you get an image to capture through the Roxio device? Or do neither work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WR0CHU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The image appears in OBS on the PC but not on the monitor, and this is only when Roxio is plugged into the Splitter.

Okay... I didn't get a clear answer on my second question.

If both the monitor AND the Roxio device are plugged into the splitter at the same time, do you get an image in OBS?

And next I would ask you to test it with the Roxio software, and tell us what you see there with both plugged into the splitter. If you get a "copy protected" message, that would indicate a different issue.

I found this from one of the questions on Amazon:

As long as all devices are HDCP compliant. It also works when all devices are non HDCP compliant. One or the other but it doesn't work when one device isn't or one device is and any of the others aren't.

So, there's still a possibility that it's an HDCP issue if the TV is HDCP compliant, just not with the output of the RGC HD Pro.

Okay... I didn't get a clear answer on my second question.

If both the monitor AND the Roxio device are plugged into the splitter at the same time, do you get an image in OBS?

And next I would ask you to test it with the Roxio software, and tell us what you see there with both plugged into the splitter. If you get a "copy protected" message, that would indicate a different issue.

I found this from one of the questions on Amazon:

As long as all devices are HDCP compliant. It also works when all devices are non HDCP compliant. One or the other but it doesn't work when one device isn't or one device is and any of the others aren't.

So, there's still a possibility that it's an HDCP issue if the TV is HDCP compliant, just not with the output of the RGC HD Pro.

Yeah, I still get visuals in OBS when both are plugged into the splitter, Never encountered any "copy protected" message. Also don't have any issues at all with OBS getting the feed (other than no audio).

It's likely the HDCP issue you mentioned.