Dys

Monitor Not Displaying Capture From Roxio Hd Pro

Question

So as the title suggests, I am trying to set up a capture from a gaming console to my PC. I can get the image to show in OBS on the PC (albeit without sound, though that's another issue for another time) but not on my monitor. The specifics of how I have this set up are listed below:

Console: Nintendo Switch ->

Roxio HD Pro - >

Laptop & Monitor (Acer G205H)

The cable being used from Roxio to the monitor is an HDMI - DVI cable. The monitor should have HDCP support (This link claims it does: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/720993-REG/Acer_ET_DG5HP_001_G205H_Special_Edition_20.html).

If going directly from the Switch to the monitor, the video shows perfectly fine.
From Roxio to the monitor, however, the screen is generally black. I say "generally" because a couple of times it flashed an "Input not Supported" message before turning black.
From what research into this message I've done as it relates to Capture Cards, it seems that this is due to a resolution issue. I've changed the native resolution of the Switch to test all three of its options (1080p, 720p, and 480p) yet none of them worked, and considering that going directly from the Switch to the monitor works, I do not believe that this is a resolution issue (though I could be wrong).

Not sure what the cause is here, so I would really appreciate some guidance/help before going out to buy different wires or HDMI Splitters or w/e else comes to mind to test this and end up just wasting money.

Thank you.

~Dys

31 answers to this question

Yeah, I still get visuals in OBS when both are plugged into the splitter,

Well that seems odd. If you're getting the signal in OBS (and I would still ask you to please run the Roxio software and see if it gives us any more information), then the splitter must be putting out a non-HDCP signal, which I would think your monitor would be happy with since you can plug it directly into your Nintendo and see it.

Edited by d_deweywright

Not really at odds...

The signal from the Switch goes into the RGC device. There is is split.

One part going to the USB output that the is seen on OBS.

The other part going to the 'pass through' but only after it is manipulated by adding an HDCP signal to it!

So the signals are no longer the same.

HDCP comes in a couple of flavors and not all are compatible with each other. It is possible that the Monitor is not compatible with the output of the RGC HDMI...

Splitter: Some of them do not pass along the HDMI signal and if the Monitor requires it, it isn't going to work! But in that case, I would expect the Monitor to balk and give you an error message...

There are few tests you can do to pin this down but you have not really done as asked before... Kinda why I haven't come back to this topic -_-

One is to leave OBS out of this and run the RGC software to see what it says.

Another is to replace the Monitor (temporary) to see if another will show the output.

Another is to lend the RGC and software to someone else and see if it works for them! Doesn't have to be a Stitch but does have to be HDMI and try it both with and without the DVI adapter.

The answer might be simple.Nintendo Switch is the new baby in town.Nintendo switch is not compatible with Game Capture HD Pro. If you will check the website: https://www.roxio.com/enu/products/game-capture/hd-pro/overview.html

Then check the supported console list: Supports Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3 and PC Game Capture you will notice that Nintendo Switch is not included. Which means the developers had not tested the device and software with Nintendo Switch yet. Who knows if Nintendo switch uses different codings or such to relay feeds from it to monitors like PS4 and Xbox one did Hence the update for PS4 and Xbox One compatibility.

If you got "Input Not Supported" at some time during this long troubleshooting, maybe you have found the answer you just don't want it.

The answer might be simple.Nintendo Switch is the new baby in town.Nintendo switch is not compatible with Game Capture HD Pro. If you will check the website: https://www.roxio.com/enu/products/game-capture/hd-pro/overview.html

Then check the supported console list: Supports Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3 and PC Game Capture you will notice that Nintendo Switch is not included. Which means the developers had not tested the device and software with Nintendo Switch yet. Who knows if Nintendo switch uses different codings or such to relay feeds from it to monitors like PS4 and Xbox one did Hence the update for PS4 and Xbox One compatibility.

If you got "Input Not Supported" at some time during this long troubleshooting, maybe you have found the answer you just don't want it.

The issue is not with the Switch. Got an Elgato and it works fine with the Switch and my monitor. The issue with the Roxio is the Roxio. Only issue I have with the Elgato is the stuttering in OBS (which I am working on fixing with Elgato's support team).

The issue is not with the Switch. Got an Elgato and it works fine with the Switch and my monitor. The issue with the Roxio is the Roxio. Only issue I have with the Elgato is the stuttering in OBS (which I am working on fixing with Elgato's support team).

Then this proves that Roxio Game Capture HD Pro is not compatible with Switch.

Then this proves that Roxio Game Capture HD Pro is not compatible with Switch.

No, it doesn't. The issue I had with Roxio was never about getting the capture to show up in the Capture Software or in OBS. I only had issues having it show up on my monitor. This was likely due to the HDCP elements in the Roxio. It has nothing to do with the Switch at all and would have happened regardless of what system was used with the Roxio.