16 replies to this topic

#1 TrevorW

TrevorW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:03 AM

I've been trying to resolve this problem through Technical Support by I appear to be dealing with automated responses (no direct answers to questions).  When I output files using AVCHD (regardless of settings - I've used both Hardware and Software rendering options, I've cleared my Proxy files, and I've experimented with all FPS options).  I'm using Windows 7 64bit, RAM is 8gb, and a Radeon 6950 video card with 1gb of VRAM.  My CPU is an i7 2600 (3.4ghz).  There IS a suggested solution posted for this problem (enable Smart Proxy), but it only appears to be available with NXT 5.  I'm sort of committed to Roxio (I have about 20 very large files that would be extremely time consuming to recreate using another software) so I'm getting pretty desperate.  At the moment I'm considering just upgrading to NXT 5, but it's a risk as I can't be certain that this will necessarily resolve my problem.  As I mentioned before, Technical Support is simply sending me generic fixes and won't respond to direct questions.

Please help me, I'm desperate! 

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,023 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:11 AM

That would be frustrating!

I have to ask to be clear on this.

What is the purpose of these files? Once you output them (correctly) what are you doing with them?

What program are you using in the Suite? - guessing VideoWave but could be others like Video Copy and Convert or MyDVD.

Where does the 'choppy' occur? During processing, afterward or both?

How often does it occur?

What is the source of the files? What format, quality (resolution) and bit rate?

I don't see how switching to NXT 5 will change anything. All they seemed to do was improve the interface a bit.

Posted Image

#3 TrevorW

TrevorW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

Thanks for your reply DG.  I am using VideoWave and viewing the file on my television.  The choppiness occurs intermittently throughout the movie during playback.  It's also a little choppy during rendering but this is not unusual and files usually play fine (until recently I've always converted my MPG files to ISO's via MyDVD - as you'll appreciate at considerably poorer resolution).  I've tried a variety of AVCHD 1920 X 1080 options, including 24p and 50p.  As I mentioned in my initial posting, the suggested fix on the Roxio site for this problem is to enable the Smart Proxy option, but this isn't available in NXT 4 (so I presume it's only available with the latest version - NXT 5). 

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,911 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:54 AM

What is the source of your video files? What are their properties? Exactly what output settings are you using?

If you are not going to create a DVD or BlueRay disc then there is no point in using myDVD. Why are you "converting" mpg to iso?

An iso file is not a video format but simply a clone of what a DVD would contain if you want to burn a DVD.

If your source files are in mpg format then converting to AVCHD does not give you better quality but may in fact give lower quality

including choppiness since "new" frames have to be created, ie. duplicate frames.

Also what is this Smart Proxy you are talking about? As far as I know, Roxio does not have a "Smart Proxy" option. This is only present on Vorels VideoStudio program.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#5 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,239 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:08 PM

Also what is this Smart Proxy you are talking about? As far as I know, Roxio does not have a "Smart Proxy" option. This is only present on Vorels VideoStudio program.

It's in Roxio Videowave, according to this. Attached File  multi-camera-editor.pdf   376.4KB   0 downloads

Attached File  sp1.jpg   148.46KB   0 downloadsAttached File  sp2.jpg   56.95KB   0 downloads

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
2 x DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windows XP, 7, and 8.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

#6 TrevorW

TrevorW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

First - it looks like I misunderstood what Smart Proxy was all about, so let's take that off the table (apparently it's located in MyDVD and is a solution to a different problem).

myguggi:

My source files are the default files used when saved in Videowave (dmsm).  I'm aware of what ISO files are and it's just a process I used in the past which I raised just to explain why this problem hasn't occurred for me before (I was converting to MPEG files back then and was not experiencing the choppiness).  It's only since I've tried converting my dmsm files to AVCHD that I've experienced the choppiness.  The quality is definitely much better, apart from the jerky playback.

Hope this helps.

#7 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,023 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

Throws more questions than answers :lol:

A VW dmsm file is unusable to MyDVD (starting in NXT 4 & 5). The ONLY thing MyDVD accepts are movie files such as mpg, mp4, etc.

VideoWave is not capable of making an ISO file!

Now back to WHY are you making mp4 files? You say you play them on your TV. How do these files get to your TV?

If we knew what you were doing, step by step, and what you use is, we can make suggestions. At this point even a wild guess is pointless -_-

Posted Image

#8 TrevorW

TrevorW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

Clearly my explanation is poor - my apologies.  I'll try and clarify as much as I can:

1.  I open dmsm files I have previously created in VideoWave;

2.  I output those files using various AVCHD options (20p or 50p)

3.  I copy the resultant file onto my external hard drive and run it on my TV through my DVD player using the USB Port.

I am no longer using MYDVD - this was a process I was using before when creating ISO files.

I'm currently experimenting with creating the files using an even older version of Roxio to see if I'm having the same problem.  I'll let you know how that goes. 

#9 TrevorW

TrevorW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

I've just viewed my latest file using an older version of Roxio and it's just the same.  By the way, it's identical when viewed directly on my computer, so it's not the TV interface.

#10 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,911 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

It's in Roxio Videowave, according to this. attachicon.gifmulti-camera-editor.pdf

attachicon.gifsp1.jpgattachicon.gifsp2.jpg

Thanks Brendon.

Since I don't use the Multi-Camera-editor, I have never come across this feature. In Corels VS, that feature can be used whenever you have high resolution video not just with a multicamera video.

First - it looks like I misunderstood what Smart Proxy was all about, so let's take that off the table (apparently it's located in MyDVD and is a solution to a different problem).

myguggi:

My source files are the default files used when saved in Videowave (dmsm).  I'm aware of what ISO files are and it's just a process I used in the past which I raised just to explain why this problem hasn't occurred for me before (I was converting to MPEG files back then and was not experiencing the choppiness).  It's only since I've tried converting my dmsm files to AVCHD that I've experienced the choppiness.  The quality is definitely much better, apart from the jerky playback.

Hope this helps.

You are still not telling us the properties of the source files. If your original source files are not near AVCHD quality, then you get choppiness when converting from lower quality to higher quality especially if there is a change in frame rate (fps) and/or bitrate.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#11 TrevorW

TrevorW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

An indicative file would be:

Source file dmsm 6.12mb:

Converted to MP4 video 2.6GB:

File length: 44.48

W X H: 1920X1080

Data rate: 8194kbps

Total bitrate: 8322kbps

Frame rate: 15 fps

Just to clarify, I think I'm misleading people by using the word "converting".  What I'm doing is creating a video file from a source dmsm file through the output option in VideoWave.  Sincerest apologies if I've been using misleading terminology.  Please remain patient.

#12 TrevorW

TrevorW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

I'm not sure what it tells me, but it may be useful to know that I just tried creating a video at a lower resolution (1080 X 720) and the quality was the worst it's ever been (re choppiness - pronounced on every frame rather than merely noticeable on some frames).  Not sure what that means.

#13 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,023 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for that information, we are getting closer :D

I would like to have that detailed information like Post# 11for your source files that you are using.

At this point, what I suspect is that you are using a lower quality Source and upgrading its' output to HD... The bitrate is low, 8322mbps, for HD. It falls near the HQ setting for a DVD but far short of the 25,000 mbps we would expect from AVCHD.

It is possible that the Player is struggling with the poor quality and re-reading parts due to errors. A test of that theroy is that the same file should play OK on your PC - no noticeable choppiness.

Posted Image

#14 TrevorW

TrevorW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:08 AM

The dmsm file consists of about 500+ images (with added movement, audio, transitions and the occasional caption).  Perhaps I have misled you into thinking the source consisted of videos?  As I mentioned in post #9 the problem is identical when the MP4 file is played on my computer - ie jerkiness as the photo pans/zooms/etc. The soundtrack is fine, by the way.

Thanks again for your persistence.

Trevor 

#15 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,023 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

Without burning to disc, just making a file you can test on your PC...

Try it a 1/4 of the play time. to see how it does.

If still bad, eliminate the pan & zooms and try it.

If still bad, remove all the transitions and try it.

Hoping we stumble across something by then :lol:

Posted Image

#16 TrevorW

TrevorW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:08 PM

??   I don't burn these files to disc - I simply output the dmsm file as an MP4 file and I play that file from my external hard drive via the DVD outlet (ref post #8).  It is only during pan and zoom that the problem occurs and this problem is the same when played on my computer.

#17 TrevorW

TrevorW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

I'll be heading off interstate for a few days later this afternoon, so don't be discouraged if I don't respond to posts for a few days.

TrevorW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users