mpb2000

Does Nxt 5 Support Burning To Multiple Drives Simultaneously?

Question

I sent Roxio support this question, but was confused by the response, which was "no." I was really just looking for confirmation that it does support that, as the following statement is made on their website (link below):

Roxio Burn 4: "Easily burn single or multiple data, audio, photo or video CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs simultaneously."

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/creator/suite/#data-copy

That certainly sounds like you can burn to multiple drives simultaneously. And I know you used to be able to do so with previous versions of some Roxio software, as I used to take advantage of that feature. If you cut out the descriptors, that sentence is: "Burn single or multiple discs simultaneously." I don't know how you burn a single disc simultaneously, so that sentence should really be edited regardless of the answer.

Can someone who might be more knowledgable than the customer service rep (like someone who has actually used the feature, or at least seen the option in the software) provide an answer? Are there any other Roxio products that allow for this option?

Thanks,

Matt

9 answers to this question

Matt,

Roxio "Creator Classic" was able to burn simultaneously to multiple drives. However for some never-explained reason Creator Classic was removed after Creator 2012, never to be seen again. None of the NXT series has it, so the NXT program can burn to only one drive at a time. :(

Roxio Secure Burn in NXT 5 can burn to multiple drives at the same time. This is done by running a separate instance of the program for each drive, with each instance burning its own content to its assigned drive.

However the ability to use ONE program to burn ONE CONTENT to more than 1 drive simultaneously, has been removed.

I hope this has explained things. The advertising copy isn't precise and could do with clarification, but isn't that the way of things nowadays? :(

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brendon. So what exactly is "Roxio Burn 4," which is labeled as new in NXT 5? Does it replace Roxio Burn 3? What changed? I don't see Roxio Burn 4 anywhere else, so it must be strictly a part of NXT 5.

It's a new version of Burn. Replaces Burn 3 from NXT 4.

post-208-0-00610900-1493158225_thumb.jpgpost-208-0-20569600-1493158234_thumb.jpg

I haven't gone and looked for changes, since I usually disable BurnLauncher and use the standard Creator burner for most of my work, but if there's any specific feature you're interested in I can go and try it out for you.

That is the piece of software that claims to allow simultaneous burning to multiple drives. Is it somehow possible that feature is available in Burn 4 only, as opposed to the standard Creator software that you normally use?

Matt,

The Burn program is Drive-oriented. The system is monitored by the Roxio Burn Launcher process, and an instance of Burn.exe is started for each drive containing a disc that is detected by that process.

If you have two loaded optical drives you'll have two copies of the App running and can be burning two discs at once. Each is independent of the other, although you could could give each of them the same job to burn if you wish.

Creator Classic's ability to use ONE program to control more than 1 drive burning the same data simultaneously, has been removed from the Creator NXT series.

Regards,

Brendon

• Like 1

Ok, I see. Nero still allows you to burn to multiple drives simultaneously so I guess it's time to check out their latest offering.

Up to you.

I would think the difference in performance between controlling two burners from one app, versus having two drives burning independently but simultaneously, is hardly enough to justify the cost and inconvenience of throwing out one perfectly useful software suite and buying a different one.

I don't have a software suite at the moment, so I'm not getting rid of one. And I have 4 burners to control, so it definitely makes a difference.

Hi again Matt,

How's it going with the software?

A bit different from burning data discs simultaneously, but I just checked and the Roxio Music Disc Maker (Create Music Disc Projects) which was split off Creator Classic many versions ago will still burn an Audio CD to several drives simultaneously.

Regards,

Brendon