joca

What Format

Question

I produce videos and to DVD up to 1 hour 45 mins or more Since having NXT 5 pro it has always for me been an issue on what format to select to render. In older versions it was usually fairly easy to choose but now with so many options now days. I realise that to get good quality with 100 mins onto a single DVD is not at best possible at least not unless the output is rubbish. I don't have an issue with using DL disks. I don't produce HD or blue ray disks although I have a Vixia HD camera because I produce dvd's to share around a club albiet garden (I know boring ain't it) but not that many in the course of a year. Plainly my issue is what is the best format from the list to produce a fairly good quality DVD that is not too compressed via videowave/edit video/copy & convert. Thank's I would be grateful of any help. Johnnie

9 answers to this question

Perhaps I ought to add that my version of NXT 5 pro is 18 and I see that there an update of SP1 are there any known issues with this update because I don't want to compound the quality issues any further Thank's

If your making a DVD video disc the standard is H-262 or MPEG 2. what the program puts on the disc at a constant bit rate best being about a hour 60 minutes. If you put more the program lowers the bit rate and the quality suffers.

If your making a DVD video disc the standard is H-262 or MPEG 2. what the program puts on the disc at a constant bit rate best being about a hour 60 minutes. If you put more the program lowers the bit rate and the quality suffers.

Thank you very much. OK yes that is exactly what happened and the quality is pants. As I said I can use a dual layer disk for a 106 minute file. How do I stop the programme from reducing like "fit to disk idea so that a bigger file on a DL disk can produce good quality uncompressed or at least not so much as to make the quality such an issue. Hence asking what is the best format to render to achieve this.

You can't with the MY DVD in NXT 5.

Remember best quality is 60 minutes for a single layer DVD and if you go over use a Dual Layer DVD up to 120 minutes, that will keep MY DVD form lowering the quality.

You can't with the MY DVD in NXT 5.

Remember best quality is 60 minutes for a single layer DVD and if you go over use a Dual Layer DVD up to 120 minutes, that will keep MY DVD form lowering the quality.

Thank you CD. What I normally do is render the file then copy & convert to an image file and burn from that. Does that seem a little long winded. Would you say it is better to send output to My DVD?

What I normally do is render the file then copy & convert to an image file and burn from that.

I'm not sure I understand the exact steps your using, please make the steps clearer?

Thank you CD. What I normally do is render the file then copy & convert to an image file and burn from that. Does that seem a little long winded. Would you say it is better to send output to My DVD?

sorry for that ok

I go to Roxio/videowave/edit video/output/export/choose a format (this is the confusing part i.e. "what format is best")then the file onto copy & convert with selected file option DVD then burn to disk image.

What seems to be happening is whatever the actual size file I started with (over 60 mins) I end up with a full disk of 7.5 gig like fit to disk.

I make a disk image because I copy quite a few disks but all at different times.

I will admit I honestly don't know if I am doing it the best way or not.

I would use this to export as in videowave, MPEG-2 for DVD best Quality.

Please can somebody help me by giving me a path to acheiving a good quality 106 minute video onto a Dual layer disk without menu starting with videowave etc.

I have produced and edited a good video exported to PAL (UK) via MPEG-2 best quality 7.5 file I created a dvd in MY DVD using a 85.5 DL disk setting using a DL disk

The result was rubbish and disappointing and had a menu. I definitely do not want a menu.

I also put the file through copy and convert and the compression was so the result was even worse.

I cannot understand why when using DL disk the quality is so poor.

I have spent a long time on this and I feel I am getting nowhere at all so help would be very much appreciated

Edited by joca