Sign in to follow this  
Friesian Queen

Toast Audio App - File Configuration Offers No Options

Question

Just purchased Toast Audio only to find out that it does not give you the option other than AIFF when converting a .wav file. MP3 is simply not robust enough. I need to know that AIFF will play on ANY CD player with ANY firmware. Thanks.

1 answer to this question

Perhaps confusingly, the macOS Finder shows the content of an Audio CD as a collection of .aiff files. It is important to realise that this is just a presentation of the Finder/macOS with some clever tricks (online lookup and comparison, if no local information/identification is available). The AIFF files are virtual, but functional. You can check the difference between a real Audio CD and a data CD with files, by doing a Get Info on the disc: It should say “Format: CD Audio”.

Toast Audio is a limited functionality version of Toast Titanium. I don’t know how much the audio functionality in Titanium differs from Toast Audio. E.g. I don’t think the latter has file conversion capability. I thought it was audio disc authoring and copying only.

That being said, Toast Audio will allow you to make an Audio CD playable in any CD player that accepts recordable discs, in this special format disc, defined in the Red Book. Unlike a Data disc with files, it will have “tracks” (streams of bytes) for each song or movement. The audio contained in an Audio CD (CD-DA) consists of two-channel (stereo) signed 16-bit Linear PCM sampled at 44,100 Hz.

“Two-channel signed 16-bit Linear PCM sampled at 44,100 Hz” can be found in e.g. WAV files and AIFF files, so Audio CD songs can be stored in these file formats with full accuracy. It is not the same, but one can be used to create the other. Which makes the macOS presentation trick with virtual files not that difficult.