Kenny Mike

Lp To Mp3 Gracenote Tagging Tool Not Working...

Question

I submitted this issue to technical support back in February. Here's the last reply I received:

Hello Livepsn8ly,

Thank you for contacting Corel Technical Support.

I completely understand where you are coming from. Regarding your concern, although the issue has already been reported to the Engineering department, we still have no information as to when a fix will be released.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

Regards,
Criselda
Corel Technical Support Services

Does anyone monitoring this forum have more information on this issue? The recording from LP to MP3 is excellent... but after adding my track breaks and using the auto-tag tool... NXT5 does not play nicely with Gracenote!?! Two track get recognised incorrectly and all others declare "No Match". Please find attached what was returned for Jonathan Edwards - Rocking Chair.

post-71954-0-59433800-1498949995_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kenny Mike

3 answers to this question

Hi,

This has been an issue with Gracenote recognition and tagging for some time. It was reported here in 2013 when NXT 2 was released, and doesn't seem to have been fixed in any subsequent versions.

Here's a topic from back then, with comments. (link)

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon,

I'm still working on trying to resolve this issue and you seem to be the go-to guy here... I saw a dialog you had with All4Cinema under a subject titled Music Recognition back in 2016.  You shared some screen captures where the Music ID tags worked for you.  I'm curious... were you using NXT5 at the time?  The tags used to work when I had Creator 2012 loaded and I'm ready to throw $20 on a sealed copy on eBay if it means getting that functionality working again!?!  Or if you were using NXT5 for your screen captures... do you think All4Cinema and I could have some sort of security settings that are getting in the way?

Kenny Mike,

Yes I was using NXT5 when I grabbed those screen captures. (Can't guarantee accuracy if I tested with a different version.)

There are two issues I've seen reported with Roxio's 'Edit Audio Tags' program:

- [1] The program refuses to deal with more than two tracks at a time.  Gracenote blames Roxio, and Roxio blames Gracenote for this.   Earlier Roxio versions still run fine, but later versions still don't.  I suspect Roxio changed something in their program, but have no proof.  This hasn't been fixed!

-[2] You and All4Cinema found that Gracenote has problems recognizing tracks you've pulled off continuous media (vinyl or tape) where you have had to mark your own track separation, and it has consequently given silly results.  Gracenote has few problems with albums on CDs, where the start and end points are precisely set on the disc, and they say their 'service is optimized' for the CD market.  They don't seem to be as good for individual tracks off continuous media.

I still don't know what the modern Gracenote recognition works on, so I can't poke my stick at a particular part of the process.  I have had quite some success with MuzicBrainz Picard, a free open-source music identifier/tagger which identified quite a few tracks the Roxio/Gracenote combination was having trouble with.  However you did say things worked for you with Creator 2012, and I'd thoroughly recommend you try that again.  It's well worth $20 even if it can't fix this  recognition problem, and I prefer it to the NXT series under Windows 10.

Please let me know how you go.  If Creator 2012 solves the recognition problem I'll know exactly where to poke that stick!!  :)