DanaGardner

Pixelated Dvd In Toast Titanium

Question

I am a very basic user. What I am trying to accomplish is I import my iPhone videos of my children (the resulting files are saved on my Mac as .mov files). I want to use a DVD-R to burn these videos using Toast Titanium so the memories are burned to a DVD I can save and it's permanent, something I can give my kids down the road.

The type of disc I am choosing before burning is 'DVD Video' since I only own standard dvd players.

When I burn my videos, some of them are very pixelated, a lot of the time when the colors are bright. What settings can I use, and please walk me through exactly what to do and use laymans terms - in order to stop this pixelation on my final product when I play it in a DVD player? Thank you!!!

Edit - Someone on another page I had read mentioned they went into preferences and turned off "Overscan on video export" and this solved their problem - I am giving that a try now and seeing if the disc I am going to burn turns out ok - Update - it did not work and i wasted a disc trying. Help!

Edited by DanaGardner

36 answers to this question

Apologies that these pictures are coming out every which way. It looks fine in preview and for whatever reason posts differently.

Hi Dana,

I have no new suggestions for you to try, at the moment, with the hope of making it work as expected. But …

As a last resort, could you send a clip that ends up with pixelation when converted to DVD by Toast. For the sake of privacy, I suggest you create one short new clip without your young ones in it, but with similar conditions as before, as much as possible (movement, light).

Such a clip could be uploaded to a file sharing site for big files, e.g. WeTransfer, which would provide a download link to share with others (e-mail to yourself to receive the link in your inbox, or change the settings to get just the link).

Perhaps I can detect something extraordinary with the file, that prevents a proper conversion to a sharp DVD-Video. I’m inclined to think it is something special about your file, as my clips didn’t get pixelated as yours did: I couldn’t replicate the issue.

Just to be sure, I’ll ask: You filmed with the smartphone, transferred the clips to a Mac, either with Photos or Image Capture, did not alter the clips in any way with any app, only have Toast process the originals to DVD-Video? Correct?

Hi Dana,

I have no new suggestions for you to try, at the moment, with the hope of making it work as expected. But

As a last resort, could you send a clip that ends up with pixelation when converted to DVD by Toast. For the sake of privacy, I suggest you create one short new clip without your young ones in it, but with similar conditions as before, as much as possible (movement, light).

Such a clip could be uploaded to a file sharing site for big files, e.g. WeTransfer, which would provide a download link to share with others (e-mail to yourself to receive the link in your inbox, or change the settings to get just the link).

Perhaps I can detect something extraordinary with the file, that prevents a proper conversion to a sharp DVD-Video. Im inclined to think it is something special about your file, as my clips didnt get pixelated as yours did: I couldnt replicate the issue.

Just to be sure, Ill ask: You filmed with the smartphone, transferred the clips to a Mac, either with Photos or Image Capture, did not alter the clips in any way with any app, only have Toast process the originals to DVD-Video? Correct?

I will give this a try this weekend. Thanks!

Yes. I shot the clips with my IPhone SE. Looks great on phone and on the iMac I transfer everything to. I use Photos app on the iMac to import. Then I use toast to burn.

Is it worth adjusting any of these iPhone settings? I noticed that the pixelation is at its worst when the surroundings are bright. Outdoor scenes are very bad. Please help. I'm desperate.

post-130332-0-04430700-1504985015_thumb.png

Your previous post gave me the impression that you would be willing to supply a new test clip for closer technical inspection, made under similar conditions as the problematic ones. That would provide an opportunity to see how/why/when the pixelation appears on a different Mac, as I couldn’t replicate the issue with my own clips.

Is it worth adjusting any of these iPhone settings? I noticed that the pixelation is at its worst when the surroundings are bright. Outdoor scenes are very bad. Please help. I'm desperate.

I don’t think these settings will make a difference for quality. All of these settings capture much more than the resulting conversion to DVD. 720p would be smaller, thus faster to transfer and faster to convert, so for DVD end format that would be a good choice.

Your previous post gave me the impression that you would be willing to supply a new test clip for closer technical inspection, made under similar conditions as the problematic ones. That would provide an opportunity to see how/why/when the pixelation appears on a different Mac, as I couldnt replicate the issue with my own clips.

I dont think these settings will make a difference for quality. All of these settings capture much more than the resulting conversion to DVD. 720p would be smaller, thus faster to transfer and faster to convert, so for DVD end format that would be a good choice.

I'm sorry about that, I haven't had the time to figure out how to share a clip. Today I tried a $15 app from the App Store. I burned the same clips to disc image and did not get the pixelation! So it's something in Toast!!