36 replies to this topic

#21 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,023 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:28 AM

These are the settings I see and an example of the types of files I have. They came off my iPhone.

Attached File  b.jpg   164.02KB   0 downloads

Hit the reset defaults and post a screen image of what they reset to?

If you add up the play time of every clip on the squished and out of focus Disc image how long in time is it?

Are you making a 4.3 or 16.9 video?

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#22 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

This is what I get when I reset to default. I tried 4.3 and 16.9 and neither seemed to change my output at all, video looks exactly the same

Attached Files

Edited by DanaGardner, 20 July 2017 - 06:05 PM.

#23 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

More of the settings.

Also I did I test of 3 of the videos that came out pixelated and burned that selection of a few videos to disc image. Same pixelated result. It must be a setting issue.

Attached Files

#24 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,023 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:26 AM

Post 21 & 22 show the same custom setting, Video Format mpeg-2.

Post 23 shows, Flash Video format?

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#25 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

Experiment: I tried filming with an iPhone SE (H.264 MOV, High@L4.0) and putting those clips on DVD-Video with Toast. While I didn’t detect the extreme pixelation that DanaGardner reports, I wasn’t satisfied with the downscaling either. For comparison, I selected three short clips to convert with a different program using a bicubic scaler, and noticed that those results were much better. In the scaled down video as done by Toast, the high contrast at semi-random places, e.g. small leaves, grass, and stone texture, those looked quite weird, especially in motion, like the noise of analog television, tuned to a dead channel. (Perhaps the result of some sort of unneeded sharpening.)

I’ve put them together in one disc image (160.8 MiB). Three clips, all downscaled from 1920×1080, the “a” clips converted by Toast, the “c” clips converted outside of Toast, so six clips on disc. I think the “c” clips are better image quality, and as bonus also less bytes. Nothing fancy, just seeing if I could replicate the pixelation. The replication of this issue at hand didn’t succeed, though.

#26 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

I have the same phone. I don't understand all of the technical details but can you possibly recommend a better program for me that would yield a clearer result? Has to be dumbed down easy to use for someone like me.
I know I owe others above some info on my settings that they pointed out and will be in touch as soon as I have time to address. Thank you all.

#27 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

This is how everything is set by default in two different menus when I logged in today. Any ideas?

Attached Files

#28 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

In case this is helpful...

Attached Files

#29 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Apologies that these pictures are coming out every which way. It looks fine in preview and for whatever reason posts differently.

#30 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:35 AM

Bump

#31 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

Hi Dana,

I have no new suggestions for you to try, at the moment, with the hope of making it work as expected. But …

As a last resort, could you send a clip that ends up with pixelation when converted to DVD by Toast. For the sake of privacy, I suggest you create one short new clip without your young ones in it, but with similar conditions as before, as much as possible (movement, light). 

Such a clip could be uploaded to a file sharing site for big files, e.g. WeTransfer, which would provide a download link to share with others (e-mail to yourself to receive the link in your inbox, or change the settings to get just the link).

Perhaps I can detect something extraordinary with the file, that prevents a proper conversion to a sharp DVD-Video. I’m inclined to think it is something special about your file, as my clips didn’t get pixelated as yours did: I couldn’t replicate the issue.

Just to be sure, I’ll ask: You filmed with the smartphone, transferred the clips to a Mac, either with Photos or Image Capture, did not alter the clips in any way with any app, only have Toast process the originals to DVD-Video? Correct?

#32 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

Hi Dana,
I have no new suggestions for you to try, at the moment, with the hope of making it work as expected. But
As a last resort, could you send a clip that ends up with pixelation when converted to DVD by Toast. For the sake of privacy, I suggest you create one short new clip without your young ones in it, but with similar conditions as before, as much as possible (movement, light). 
Such a clip could be uploaded to a file sharing site for big files, e.g. WeTransfer, which would provide a download link to share with others (e-mail to yourself to receive the link in your inbox, or change the settings to get just the link).
Perhaps I can detect something extraordinary with the file, that prevents a proper conversion to a sharp DVD-Video. Im inclined to think it is something special about your file, as my clips didnt get pixelated as yours did: I couldnt replicate the issue.

Just to be sure, Ill ask: You filmed with the smartphone, transferred the clips to a Mac, either with Photos or Image Capture, did not alter the clips in any way with any app, only have Toast process the originals to DVD-Video? Correct?

I will give this a try this weekend. Thanks!

Yes. I shot the clips with my IPhone SE. Looks great on phone and on the iMac I transfer everything to. I use Photos app on the iMac to import. Then I use toast to burn.

#33 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

Is it worth adjusting any of these iPhone settings? I noticed that the pixelation is at its worst when the surroundings are bright. Outdoor scenes are very bad. Please help. I'm desperate.

Attached Files

#34 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

Your previous post gave me the impression that you would be willing to supply a new test clip for closer technical inspection, made under similar conditions as the problematic ones. That would provide an opportunity to see how/why/when the pixelation appears on a different Mac, as I couldn’t replicate the issue with my own clips.

Is it worth adjusting any of these iPhone settings? I noticed that the pixelation is at its worst when the surroundings are bright. Outdoor scenes are very bad. Please help. I'm desperate.

I don’t think these settings will make a difference for quality. All of these settings capture much more than the resulting conversion to DVD. 720p would be smaller, thus faster to transfer and faster to convert, so for DVD end format that would be a good choice.

#35 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

Your previous post gave me the impression that you would be willing to supply a new test clip for closer technical inspection, made under similar conditions as the problematic ones. That would provide an opportunity to see how/why/when the pixelation appears on a different Mac, as I couldnt replicate the issue with my own clips.

I dont think these settings will make a difference for quality. All of these settings capture much more than the resulting conversion to DVD. 720p would be smaller, thus faster to transfer and faster to convert, so for DVD end format that would be a good choice.

I'm sorry about that, I haven't had the time to figure out how to share a clip. Today I tried a $15 app from the App Store. I burned the same clips to disc image and did not get the pixelation! So it's something in Toast!!

#36 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

i’m glad you found a way to make it work. I’m sorry I couldn’t find what caused the issue with Toast, as that isn’t normal.

#37 DanaGardner

DanaGardner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:34 AM

Thank you! The thing is I spent $85 on Toast so I'm really disappointed! I would prefer that it work :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users